Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:34 AM

The current demo version doesn't set the resolutions properly on my MacBook Pro. If I try to change to a widescreen res, I always end up with black borders. Strange enough, if I choose 1.024 x 768 it's stretched to fill the whole screen. :blink:

It's also quite slow: I turned all the graphics options up and the game still runs relatively sluggish on my setup, which WAY exceeds the recommended specs (*cough* G4 800, 32 MB graphics card *cough*).

The graphics aren't on par with modern racing games anyway, but that's OK. I'm just a bit disappointed that it runs so bad on my MBP. :(
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#3 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 05:35 AM

I have no problems on my dying MDD Dual G4.

However it feels a bit pale playing this.
I'm missing something. Music perhaps, some audiance (to drive over)
and too bad I can't wreck my car either, (yes I'm in a bit destructive mode right now).  :lol:

Come on Ambrosia, where's the carnage?! ;)

#4 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:53 AM

Needs the magical touch of Digital Droo :-)

Remember guns don't kill people... Pfhor do.

#5 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:37 AM

View PostJan, on September 22nd 2006, 02:34 AM, said:

The current demo version doesn't set the resolutions properly on my MacBook Pro. If I try to change to a widescreen res, I always end up with black borders. Strange enough, if I choose 1.024 x 768 it's stretched to fill the whole screen. :blink:

It's also quite slow: I turned all the graphics options up and the game still runs relatively sluggish on my setup, which WAY exceeds the recommended specs (*cough* G4 800, 32 MB graphics card *cough*).

The graphics aren't on par with modern racing games anyway, but that's OK. I'm just a bit disappointed that it runs so bad on my MBP. :(

Running it on a MacBook (which runs it sweetly) and while widescreen has thin borders in the menu screens, once in-game they disappear.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#6 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:23 AM

set at a 4:5 screen resolution (1024x820), it cuts part of the screen off at the sides. Then there was the incredibly wierd graphical glitch which made everything visible through everything else (pop-up allowing), then theres the odd support for my x360 controller...

im sure its great, but i cant be bothered to give it another go right now.

happily though, it ran like an olympic athlete being chased by some hungry lions in the middle of the night on a motorway... well, kind of, it was pretty smooth. check my sig.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#7 Ragashingo

Ragashingo

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:19 AM

I have no problems on my dying MDD Dual G4.

However it feels a bit pale playing this.
I'm missing something. Music perhaps, some audiance (to drive over)
and too bad I can't wreck my car either, (yes I'm in a bit destructive mode right now).  

Come on Ambrosia, where's the carnage?!

Fire up iTunes for music, you can set up keys to switch tracks and play/pause in Redline, plus it has a nifty of showing you which song you are listening  to while racing.

#8 dgallina

dgallina

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:23 AM

Meh.  No offense to the authors, but the demo isn't particularly compelling so far.   Stuck in a bit of a time-warp to the mid-90's IMHO.

The dearth of Mac racing games makes it worth a look, but I'm looking forward to Colin McRae (and whatever comes after)....

Diego

#9 sillek

sillek

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:46 PM

It's fun crashing into people online.  You can unlock more cars with the Challenges

I'm currently #2 on the World Rankings in time trial for City Short Circuit in Arcane !

#10 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:25 PM

lol, Redline players must be popsnizzle drivers. I set the world record on the slalom my first run.

This game needs my Trans Am in it, badly. :shifty:

EDIT: And I now hold all the time trial records for the demo, forward and reverse. MUAHAHAHA. I wish the Corvette had some better tires though. I've driven a C4 lots, and it stays connected to the pavement at high speed much better than the one in the game. The game vette tends to hop around corners like an 80's Mustang.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#11 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:38 AM

This is going to offend some people...but anyway

Just about the only good thing about this game is the itunes intergration...the rest to put it quite plainly, sucks.

im not going to hide behind the whole mac developer thing.

just because your a mac develover doesnt mean you have to make crap games.
yes this game in my plain opinion is crap.
the graphics look like something from 6 years ago. i dont care how much effort it took to build this engine, they dont look that great.
Now, normally i dont give two twats about graphics. but this is a racing game! and at that a racing game wich brings abselutely nothing new to the table! so the only thing this game would have going for it is the graphics, well i dont have much to say for the graphics.
the little dude in the car looks like a scrotem, the cars dont even look like their models(as if that was an Audi TT!) the textures are mostly boring.

online play is notebly good. for this and the itunes implementation Ambrosia deserves a slap on the back for this.LISTEN UP ALL YOU MAC DEVELOPERS: itunes intergration DO IT! i want to kill strogg while listening to slayer...wait no ben harper, no problem i can just change the track! FOLLOW AMBROSIA's Lead with this!
hey it would even be cool to find some of my iphoto's in the game (and no i havent seen rollercoaster tycoon 3 yet, but i am aware they have done this)

seriously this game wasint fun to play at all. i was either infront or behind all these cars that do the excact same fire trucking thing everytime around and i did this over some pretty unimaginative courses.

unless your a die-hard racing fan looking for Her/his (notice my politicaly correct order of this scentence?) Mac Sharware Racing fix Dont waste your time.

AMBROSIA if you release a game where i am a black man that goes around killing aliens, zombies and various different types of ogres in defferent, interesting and extremely violent ways and if you add in that sweet sweet itunes intergration i will buy it befor i even play it.

and dont say its just because i dont play racing games, i play plenty of racing games!

im sorry if ive offended anyone but this is my honest opinion :blush:

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:44 AM

I finally had time to try it and was indeed slightly disappointed.

I mean, it's nice to have any racing game at all, but the car models aren't really that good (I didn't expect Gran Turismo, but some of the models are really rough), the "pop-up" effect of the scenery is really too obvious (a bit of fog would have helped), the AI is not very smart (I have the impression the others cars are mainly following set tracks) and the physics has some problems (I have seen crashed AI cars spinning like mad around all axes more than than once).

It's not completely crap, though. Especially the challenges are fun.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:56 AM

i gave it another go, and it just wasnt my thing. the pop-up is quite obvious and the physics are kinda dumb (as highlighted by the unreleased IMG preview video created by Blake). Im not too fussed about the graphics, they were alright, and if the game had played more to my tastes, then I wouldnt mind them.

This game has just highlighted how I like Burnout and CMR more than all other racing games. I had a similar feeling with NFS 2, I wanted destruction and smashing things up.

i did find one pretty major bug though, which is where when picking the car in the unregistered version, you scroll through them all and return to the mini, and you can very clearly see the wheel rims through the actual car. Go into the race and you can see everything through everything... its a bit distracting, and really really highlights the pop-up that there is.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#14 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:08 AM

I told my buddy to download the demo last night so that he could tell me what he thought of it, and he couldn't even get it to work!

It started 'bugging out on him" he told me over the phone.  The REDLINE sig on the red car would show up fine, and then it would goto the menu, and I guess the movie that it plays in he background was all hosed up, and polygons were being displayed improperly.  He wasn't able to even get through the menu.  It would time delay huge, and then would lock up!  

He's got a Rev. A. G5 single 1.8  nvidea 64 ( not sure what the model of video card came with theat machine )

Anyone know of anyone having problems ??

#15 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:54 AM

the demo played nicely enough on my iBook, which is at minimum requirements (800MHz G4, 32 mb vid). If I played more games on my iBook, I would pick this up. Sure the graphics aren't the latest and greatest, but I felt the game would be $25 worth of portable fun. I think there will be a market for this game: people with an older machine looking for a nice racing game. Not everyone has an über Mac capable of running killer graphics.

#16 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on September 23rd 2006, 03:38 AM, said:

LISTEN UP ALL YOU MAC DEVELOPERS: itunes intergration DO IT!

Normally people just ask for the one music player developer to add hotkeys that work across applications (if most music player developers hadn't done already, on other platforms), rather than ask all and every Mac application developer to add hotkeys for their one app to control some specific other app. Just a thought, because you don't want Mac games to become just that much more niche.

#17 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

Okay, despite its outdated look, I was liking this game till someone suggested you can shave off time by timing good wallsmacks to force a turn while keeping your speed up.

Nooo! Really? That can't be in simulation mode, right? So I went onto the city track in the demo and proceeded to make all but the very last of the turns by e-braking into a sideways slide, slamming against the wall, and gunning it forward again.

I shaved almost 1.5 seconds off my previous record, that one being a completely flawless run without hitting anything and cutting all corners perfectly. A few repeats confirmed that as long as you've slowed enough that the turn won't flip you sideways, and you've got enough velocity toward the turn's exit when you hit the wall, 9 times out of 10 you'll be faster than a perfectly executed proper turn. That, my friends, is ridiculous. Realistic physics? I think not.

Next time I need to get to the airport fast, I'll have to remember that. Just e-brake into the guard rail, mash the accelerator, and I'll fly around the turn in record time.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#18 J21

J21

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:06 PM

View PostFrost, on September 23rd 2006, 07:06 PM, said:

Okay, despite its outdated look, I was liking this game till someone suggested you can shave off time by timing good wallsmacks to force a turn while keeping your speed up.
I found that out as well, and was very disappointed. Overall, the game has been pretty bad. And their big thing was the physics engine... which turned out to be crap.

#19 sillek

sillek

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:27 AM

Well, I'm sick of MP.  All people want to do is crash into you while you're trying to turn.  Might as well just make a big round mud pit and play demolition derby because that's all that happens.

#20 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:10 AM

View Postsillek, on September 24th 2006, 09:27 AM, said:

Well, I'm sick of MP.  All people want to do is crash into you while you're trying to turn.  Might as well just make a big round mud pit and play demolition derby because that's all that happens.

...begins thinking about how much fun an online demolition derby game could really be...