kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

View PostAskilfeasd, on September 14th 2006, 02:19 PM, said:

STARCRAFT 2!!! *sobs tears of joy* :)

Not only that but hopefully Diablo 3 and Warcraft 4.  ;)

Another good article...
http://www.macworld....havok/index.php

#22 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:48 PM

now that Havok is on Mac

It's always been available, and there has been at least one shipping Mac title with it, so that is not the news. The news is that Blizzard bought a license. I don't get where some of you are coming from with bits like this.

View PostKanamit, on September 14th 2006, 04:57 PM, said:

I like the BS that the vice-president of havok says about the mac being an important piece of technology and acting like they've always been supportive of it.

They made their library available. That's support, but you can't expect them to prop up the entire Mac market. MacSoft also managed to substitute Havok with Ageia, so lack of funding for Havok alone shouldn't have killed many titles.

#23 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:57 PM

This doesn't change the fact that smaller developers and porters than Blizzard cannot use the technology.

#24 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:12 PM

View Postbobbob, on September 14th 2006, 06:48 PM, said:

That's support, but you can't expect them to prop up the entire Mac market.
I don't expect them to prop up the entire mac market, I expect them to charge reasonable prices for mac ports like every engine before them has.

#25 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:45 PM

As some mentioned above, it's good for Blizzard and it's good for us playing future Blizzard games.
For the rest it's back to the status quo. Nothing further has changed. No Halo 2, no Max Payne 2, no Half Life 2, no etc. etc.
Untill someone koffs up the licensing fee *again* for this piece of middleware.

#26 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:47 PM

Egad, I hope that Blizzard hasn't licensed Havok for yet another mmorpg. Unfortunately, in order to recoup the licensing fees, I think a mmorpg (monthly fees and all) is a gimme.

#27 Breadfan

Breadfan

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Steam Name:Breadfan

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:55 PM

View Postbobbob, on September 14th 2006, 08:48 PM, said:

It's always been available, and there has been at least one shipping Mac title with it, so that is not the news. The news is that Blizzard bought a license. I don't get where some of you are coming from with bits like this.
They made their library available. That's support, but you can't expect them to prop up the entire Mac market. MacSoft also managed to substitute Havok with Ageia, so lack of funding for Havok alone shouldn't have killed many titles.

I also wonder if Macsoft swapping out Havok for Ageia gave them pause to re-evaluate the situation....

Breadfan
My dad is Black Elvis and I am the Robot Devil

Pints are just too perfect to change. 0.5 litres is too little and 1 litre is too much.--divadsci (from reddit)

#28 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:21 PM

View PostBreadfan, on September 14th 2006, 09:55 PM, said:

I also wonder if Macsoft swapping out Havok for Ageia gave them pause to re-evaluate the situation....

Re-evaluate what? Blizzard makes multi-platform games, and didn't need special consideration.

#29 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:08 AM

View Postbobbob, on September 15th 2006, 02:48 AM, said:

It's always been available, and there has been at least one shipping Mac title with it...

Oh! no-one told me! Which game?

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#30 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:25 AM

View PostRiko, on September 14th 2006, 07:45 PM, said:

As some mentioned above, it's good for Blizzard and it's good for us playing future Blizzard games.
For the rest it's back to the status quo. Nothing further has changed. No Halo 2, no Max Payne 2, no Half Life 2, no etc. etc.
Untill someone koffs up the licensing fee *again* for this piece of middleware.

I hear you, there are 1000 other games that I rather play than MMORGS.

So all in all itīs a not so big step for the Mac community.

regs
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#31 emailthatguy

emailthatguy

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:52 AM

View PostBenRoethig, on September 14th 2006, 12:39 PM, said:

I wouldn't get too excited about this announcement.  I don't think there was ever a technical reason while Havok never made it to the Mac.  The main reason for no havok was there wasn't a discount fee for a Mac port.  The price Aspyr or Macsoft would have paid is the same as the original PC developer.  Blizzard might not have to pay a double fee since its a hybrid disc as well, but don't quote me on that.

7 million paying wow subscribers is how.  if you do the math, thats more than 1 billion (yes that was meant to be a b) a year.  when you pass 1 billion a year your income passes more than half of the of countries in the world do (picking any 1 of those countries as a singular comparison) in gross national product.

Blizzard loves macs, theyve always said they have.  Theyve always backed it up, and theyve always acted like they do (if youve never had the pleasure of frequenting the mac wow message board for tech support on the site, youre missing out, blizzards mac techs ROCK).  

/me crosses fingers for world of starcraft >.<

View Postbobbob, on September 14th 2006, 06:48 PM, said:

Agreed.  Its not their responsibility to prop up mac gaming.  It's apple's and lets face it, until mr.  jobs proves me wrong I can safely say he has absolutely no idea whats going on in the gaming industry, what will strengthen the mac brand in terms of pc gaming marketing, and what his mac gaming customers really want.

The hardware bump from intel helped but its not enough, core animation will help a lil, but seriously apple needs at least 2 exclusive killer apps a year to be a viable platform the way the pc and consoles do.  how many ipods they sell last year?  they can afford to do game development first party.  I'd love to see it.

Apple can do better than they are in this department.  Mr. Jobs can do better in this department, and furthermore we all know they can do better than they have up to this point when it comes to making the mac a viable gaming platform.

#32 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:18 AM

View PostNAG, on September 14th 2006, 11:35 PM, said:

The more interesting side of this news is that apparently they are working on a new mac/pc game and not just making WoW expansion packs.
They are working on 2 unannounced games.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#33 CantKillemAll

CantKillemAll

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:03 AM

View Postbobbob, on September 15th 2006, 03:48 AM, said:

It's always been available, and there has been at least one shipping Mac title with it, so that is not the news.
I agree when you say that it always has been ready for the Mac, Tuncer made a news on that about a year ago, but I'm sure that NO game came out for the MAc with Havok. Blizzard will be the 1st, except if Havok agrees to through a licence to Aspyr/MacSoft/Feral/Others... at a reasonable price...
I want HL2 and add-ons (Episode One + followings) brought to the Mac !!!!! Pleaaaaaaaaase !!

Glenda, what do you think ?
iClan|CantKillemAll
iClan : CoD-UO / UT / W III / WoW