50 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:02 PM

Havok is finally on its way to the Mac. Thanks to a license agreement with Blizzard Entertainment, Havok 4.0 is now available for the Macintosh platform in both PPC and Intel Mac formats. Blizzard Entertainment will be using the popular Havok physics engine in company's upcoming products.

For those of you unfamiliar with Havok, it is a physics engine that has been used in the past by games such as Half-Life 2 on the PC, Halo 2 on the XBOX, and many others. Up until now companies such as Aspyr and MacSoft have refused to license Havok because the licensing fees are in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. So games such as Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault and a host of others never made it to the Mac platform because of the high licensing fees Havok demanded.

Here's more on the press release:

“Havok 4.0 will add power and flexibility to our development process,” said Mike Morhaime, president and co-founder of Blizzard Entertainment. “We’re looking forward to utilizing this technology with our upcoming games.”

Released in July this year, Havok 4.0 is a modular suite of artist tools and run-time technology that enhances Havok’s industry-leading game-play physics and animation products (Havok Physics™ and Havok Animation™). It also introduced two new products - Havok Behavior™ and Havok FX™.

With Havok 4.0, game developers can select from a modular suite of technologies and tools spanning game-play physics, character animation, behaviors and special effects, optimized for the widest range of platforms, including Sony Computer Entertainment Inc (SCEI) much-anticipated “PLAYSTATION®3” computer entertainment system, Microsoft’s 64bit Windows operating system, and now Apple Mac.

Jeff Yates, Havok’s Vice President, Product Management comments, “The Mac is an important piece of technology and because of the cross-platform nature of Havok’s technology, the port to Mac was easy to do. Furthermore, Blizzard Entertainment’s commitment to OS X and to the Mac community is a good indication of the growth potential of the Mac as a games platform. Blizzard has always put out great games on the Mac, and we look forward to Havok becoming a part of that tradition.”
It is important to note that Havok, according to one industry source, is still very expensive to license. Blizzard has deep pockets and is able to afford the high licensing costs for Havok. IMG has contacted Havok and we'll have more on this story soon.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:06 PM

I LOVE Blizzard!
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#3 Guest_TheBeast_*

Guest_TheBeast_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

Wow, that's really cool of Blizzard. Hoefully Aspyr and MacSoft will also benefit from this in some way. I wonder what game Blizzard will be using Havok with? Hmmmm...

#4 Magnum

Magnum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:18 PM

The impossible has happened ahhh! It must be the end of the world!

Oh and +100 Coolness points for Blizzard  :happy:
2.71828183 * 3.14159265 * 299792458

#5 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

STARCRAFT 2!!! *sobs tears of joy* :)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#6 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:21 PM

I wouldn't get too excited about this announcement.  I don't think there was ever a technical reason while Havok never made it to the Mac.  The main reason for no havok was there wasn't a discount fee for a Mac port.  The price Aspyr or Macsoft would have paid is the same as the original PC developer.  Blizzard might not have to pay a double fee since its a hybrid disc as well, but don't quote me on that.

#7 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

Yeah, not quite sure what the benefit to Mac gamers is.  Sure, Blizzard licensed Havok and will be using it in it's next Mac/PC game.  Great, that's one game.  I don't think this will have any effect on Aspyr or MacSoft as they'd need to pay for the license themselves just as Blizzard has.

And as everyone knows, Blizzard has very, very deep pockets thanks to a small little MMO.
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.

#8 converted2truth

converted2truth

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:35 PM

Blizzard didn't pay for all game devs to use Havok.  They just forked out the cash and made the creators port their software.

Who knows though, perhaps this will make it easier.
Mac Pro/2.66/2GB RAM/X1900/1.5TB & 250GB X partition/250GB XP partition/Dell 24" LCD
MBP CD2.0/2GB ram/100GB HD (20GB XP partition)/ATI X1600m

#9 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

I wouldn't get too excited about this announcement.  I don't think there was ever a technical reason while Havok never made it to the Mac.  The main reason for no havok was there wasn't a discount fee for a Mac port.  The price Aspyr or Macsoft would have paid is the same as the original PC developer.  Blizzard might not have to pay a double fee since its a hybrid disc as well, but don't quote me on that.

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

I don't see how Blizzard can do this without passing the burden on to game buyers in the form of higher costs either initially when purchased or later on via rate hikes.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 gromit

gromit

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:53 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on September 14th 2006, 03:45 PM, said:

I don't see how Blizzard can do this without passing the burden on to game buyers in the form of higher costs either initially when purchased or later on via rate hikes.

Just speculating here, but Blizzard is something of an 800 pound gorilla in the games industry, particularly since WOW has gone stratospheric.  I imagine they got terms that an Aspyr or a MacSoft could never get.

#12 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:05 PM

View Postgromit, on September 14th 2006, 02:53 PM, said:

Just speculating here, but Blizzard is something of an 800 pound gorilla in the games industry, particularly since WOW has gone stratospheric.  I imagine they got terms that an Aspyr or a MacSoft could never get.
I don't know if they got terms, or if the Havok fee was just chump change to them. I can imagine that Havok would give Blizzard a price for Mac and PC Havok that would be less than the 2 seperate versions bought individually though.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#13 Unshra

Unshra

Fan

• IMG Pro Users
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:30 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on September 14th 2006, 03:45 PM, said:

Doubt it, Blizzard has the money to burn on this and with the profit they are getting off of WoW I am sure it did not even scratch their budget.

I hope to see Havok make it's way to WoW in later expansions it would be a nice feature for a RTS style of battle grounds (something thay talked about in the past but have yet to add.) I am quite sure the will milk Havok 4.0 and we will see it in future titles of Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo. Hell I would like to see a Starcraft MMO with Havok. ^_^

Anyways I am glad to see Blizzard once again shows the gaming community that it supports the Mac platform 100% for it's current titles and the titles to come.

-Unshra

#14 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

The more interesting side of this news is that apparently they are working on a new mac/pc game and not just making WoW expansion packs.
"You call *this* archaeology?" • Professor Henry Jones

#15 Xavier

Xavier

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

Dang! This is awsome!

Now I just wonder what Blizzard is going to come out with now that Havok is on Mac
Moof!

#16 ajmas

ajmas

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:39 PM

It would be nice to see what representives from MacSoft and Asypr have to say on this.

#17 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:00 PM

Never thought I'd see this day. And BLIZZARD are responsible? How awesome!

Of course it came too late to stop me buying a PC but it's good news for those of you still commited to gaming on Mac.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

#18 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:25 PM

Whether it's a good or bad thing in regards to seeing more Mac games, I'm just glad this whole Havok issue can finally be put to rest in some way.

#19 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:51 PM

Why am I not suprised Blizzard bought the havok license.
What is a man?

#20 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

I like the BS that the vice-president of havok says about the mac being an important piece of technology and acting like they've always been supportive of it.