71 replies to this topic

#1 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:15 PM

The new iTunes has a feature that will log into the iTunes Music Store and download album artwork, even for albums you ripped from your own CDs (not just albums you bought from the store). I think that's pretty darned cool! Sure, they don't have album artwork for most of the stuff in my library, but it's a nice start. Well done, Apple!
- FH -
MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit

#2 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:56 PM

Since the iTMS store lacks about 85% of the great modern jazz and swing out there on the indie labels, I'll bet my luck at getting LP covers will be next to zero as well.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#3 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:02 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on September 12th 2006, 03:56 PM, said:

Since the iTMS store lacks about 85% of the great modern jazz and swing out there on the indie labels, I'll bet my luck at getting LP covers will be next to zero as well.

Indeed. Sadly, many of my jazz albums weren't found, nor my Norwegian black metal stuff. Though, honestly, I expected the latter to be scarce. Still, it's a nice feature and I hope that as time passes Apple will work to make the database ever more complete.
- FH -
MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit

#4 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:03 PM

It got a good chunk of my oldies, but about 30% of my music still lacks artwork. Mind you that I already had artwork for about 40% of it. So it wasn't bad, but I  still have some work to do.

I think a good bit of iTunes 7 is unpolished. For example, if I load a song in the CoverFlow, by double clicking on it. Then select a new album by moving to it then double clickong on it. Usually every other album will select it, then jump back to the first one I clicked on, and run the animation to the new album.

On top of that the fullscreen movie controler is not measured from the right place. I push it out to the right corner of the screen. When I take it out of fullscreen, part of the controler is cut off.

I really don't like the GUI. But that is just me. I really want Aqua back.

Besides thoes little things it looks pretty good. I really hope Leapord doesn't look like that.
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#5 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:20 PM

View PostFourth Horseman, on September 13th 2006, 07:15 AM, said:

The new iTunes has a feature that will log into the iTunes Music Store and download album artwork, even for albums you ripped from your own CDs (not just albums you bought from the store). I think that's pretty darned cool! Sure, they don't have album artwork for most of the stuff in my library, but it's a nice start. Well done, Apple!
:unsure:
(I'm sure his is a dum question) do you guys know if i need the I.D. card thing for the music store if you want to download a song or not?

or does it do it automatically for you? :huh:

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#6 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

You need a credit card to get an iTS (Fromerly iTMS) Account. Once you have that account you can get your album artwork.

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

The album artwork feature were great - if it would give better results.

It doesn't even find most of the covers for albums that are available in the iTMS. For example it didn't find any covers for The Sisters of Mercy, Therapy?, Depeche Mode or David Bowie - which all are on the iTMS.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:49 PM

View PostSiriusfox, on September 12th 2006, 08:02 PM, said:

You need a credit card to get an iTS (Fromerly iTMS) Account. Once you have that account you can get your album artwork.

Try using Corripio when iTunes doesn't find artwork for your music.  It's free, and finds great results most of the time.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#9 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:40 AM

I'm surprised it wasn't able to find any album covers for my music. I wonder what criteria it's using to match songs to covers. Of course, I understand it won't find anything for songs I pulled in from records. But I know that at least one of my CD's is on iTunes.

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:39 AM

I might have to correct myself: it seems that iTunes is slowly finding most of my stuff that is available on the iTMS - sorry - iTS. It just doesn't do this at once.

If all fails: a right/ctrl-click on the track and selecting "Load cover" speeds this up.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:05 AM

View PostJanichsan, on September 13th 2006, 02:39 AM, said:

I might have to correct myself: it seems that iTunes is slowly finding most of my stuff that is available on the iTMS - sorry - iTS. It just doesn't do this at once.

If all fails: a right/ctrl-click on the track and selecting "Load cover" speeds this up.

Interesting, I just checked and I'm seeing artwork for some albums now too. I wonder if it just takes time. Of course, it identified some wrong. It chose the artwork from "Genesis" for "A Trick of the Tail." I'll have to see if I can fix that by hand.

#12 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

Thanks Siriusfox and Quicksilver.

Thanks, Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#13 Aika

Aika

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

It's a nice update but it's currently using up 100MB of RAM on my iMac and once leaked memory all the way up to 300MB. I have been waiting for Apple to fix the memory leaks in Safari to no avail (the Webkit nightly builds leak even more) and now iTunes is at it also! :glare:

I do love the cover flow view though and I would love to see it in Front Row.
iMac late 2013

#14 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:30 PM

I've been seeing that alot. iTunes has some HUGE memory leaks now. I had 500MB active memory before a reboot I just did with nothing running.

#15 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:41 PM

View PostSiriusfox, on September 15th 2006, 08:30 AM, said:

iTunes has some HUGE memory leaks now. I had 500MB active memory before a reboot I just did with nothing running.
I assume you mean with nothing but iTunes running?

#16 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:06 AM

iTunes 7.0.1 can't come soon enough: memory footprint is huge before it starts leaking and i find the cover art thing very hit-and-miss: it not only finds cover art for tracks that didn't have it before, it occasionally blanks perfectly good cover art i did have!

Tried that corripio thingy - it's cool, but yeilded similarly unpredictable results on my system with artwork being deleted or overwritten for no good reason..

:(

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#17 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:18 AM

Brixton--Corripio asks you before adding or replacing artwork.   Did you uncheck that particular option via the preferences?

It's important to keep in mind that programs like Corripio and the iTMS artwork finder are only as good as your tags.  If you mislabel something, then be prepared for some serious weirdness. ;)
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#18 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:50 AM

lately i had begun to become extremely Frustrated with one singlr thing on my Ipod.
You know on all your "Pink Floyd" albums and your "In Flames-Whoracle" and your "At The Drive In" how the songs flow directly after one and another be they Concept albums or not the songs flow directly one after another. on my ipod there is a gap of at least a second before the next one starts playing. practically ruins the experience for me. the very night when this had reached the tip of the iceberg for me i get home "yay itunes 7" load it up "whats this "Now configuring Gapless Playback" ?". fire trucking A my problem is fixed! now on both itunes and My Ipod the songs flow through perfectly!

its the little details like this that make itunes 7 really worthwile!

CoverFlow is bloodey awesome its now my standar library view! lets hope they impliment this into the next Front Row. Almost all of my albums have artwork now. i used the Widget "Sing That Itune". it downloads lyrics aswell as artwork for your songs. Now my collection is complete.

Music store is finally on its way to becoming Great But what The hell is up with all the sodding Capital letters Practically all headings are in capital letters it looks popsnizzle! as for the overall look of itunes(excluding the new views such as coverflow) itunes has taken a turn for the worst. the blue looks crap. and the bars! why the hell would you take away our beutiful bubble blue bars! they were the sodding best!

oh well its cool. good. How are the ipod games? worth it? and has anyone run itunes under XP? whats the difference in graphical interfaces (particularlly the coverflow View)?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#19 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:25 AM

View PostTesseract, on September 14th 2006, 09:41 PM, said:

I assume you mean with nothing but iTunes running?
No that was after shutting down iTunes.

#20 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:09 AM

View PostSiriusfox, on September 15th 2006, 11:25 PM, said:

No that was after shutting down iTunes.
Then how could it possibly have been iTunes's fault?