Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:28 PM

View PostAbecedaria, on September 13th 2006, 05:04 AM, said:

All I know is that you probably aren't even going to see Halo 2 on the PC,...
You missed that Halo 2 for Vista thing, didn't you?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#22 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:34 AM

View PostJanichsan, on September 12th 2006, 10:28 PM, said:

I guess I haven't been prominent enough with my Halo threads of late. Must be time to ramp up. :cool:

(Take that, various... folks! :))

#23 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:52 AM

Why do you think Apple is so quick to sue imitators? If you don't defend a copyright, you lose it.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#24 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:59 AM

View PostDrinniol, on September 13th 2006, 07:52 PM, said:

If you don't defend a copyright, you lose it.
False. You may be thinking of trademarks.

#25 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:00 AM

I thnk the original premise of this thread has been comprehensively answered by Frost.

Microsoft felt, for whatever reason, threatened by this outburst of creativity & stamped on it. I think that's a shame..if nothing else it would probably have lured me & people like me into buying a copy of C&C. Seeing as how MS don't want to sell any more Halo to Mac users I'm unclear why they're bothered about it but ultimately it's their call.

When the Bungie guys took Microsoft's dollar there was a certain culture change, these things happen: If somebody wants to double my wages I wouldn't mind wearing a suit to the office. I quite like my job but when it comes down to it I work to feed my family, not to please a bunch of people who - although I'm sure are perfectly nice - I am unlikely ever to meet.

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#26 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:24 AM

View PostBatcat, on September 13th 2006, 02:34 AM, said:

I guess I haven't been prominent enough with my Halo threads of late. Must be time to ramp up. :cool:
(Take that, various... folks! :))
Quiet you. :glare:

By the way, I'm not a corporate apologist! I hate Bungie!  :mellow:

;)
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#27 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:30 AM

By the way: I just remembered that there is a Halo mod for UT2k4.

As some news state, that I actually found on a certain Mac gaming related site, they have an offical permit to make this mod - under certain conditions. I would guess that HaloGen violated these conditions.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#28 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:45 AM

View PostJanichsan, on September 13th 2006, 02:30 PM, said:

As some news state, that I actually found on a certain Mac gaming related site, they have an offical permit to make this mod - under certain conditions. I would guess that HaloGen violated these conditions.

Aye. And those are the same permits that Marathon Ressurection and M1A lives on.

Not that I dont hate Bungie-Microsoft. I do.
Bungie and Bungie-Microsoft are two different companies.

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#29 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:17 PM

No need to hate Bungie. They made it clear both in private, then publicly on HBO that they would rather have not shut us down (no doubt realizing Halogen would probably end up doing far more good than harm in the long run; we already had a lot of Generals players join the forums who gained an interest in Halo thanks to seeing Halogen), but the final decision does not and did not rest with them.

Bungie has actually been firmly behind MS defending their IP in a number of recent shutdowns, but this was very much not the case with us. They were well aware of us, impressed with the work we'd done, and would rather have let us keep going. It's MS Legal that changed that.

Hate Microsoft; they're the backwards corporate monster and the ones that deserve it.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#30 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:05 PM

View Posthambone, on September 12th 2006, 05:24 AM, said:

buncha corporate apologists the lot of you. sometimes i swear most of the frequent posters on IMG these days are middle aged men siting around waiting for their stock portfolios to mature.

MS owns Bungie and whatever Bungie produces. And yes, they have the right to restrict the use of their IP.

But there is something important in people being able to interpret and express in new ways the ideas and arts that stimulate them. We used to call that "culture" and it used to be something shared. Now we make excuses for corporations even when a bunch of kids like Halogen are doing their thing for fun, love and to teach themselves some skills.

Hey, they're free to do it as long as they don't distribute it.

#31 WhiteSavage

WhiteSavage

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:55 PM

Well obviously not Auron.

#32 Aika

Aika

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:38 PM

Posted Image No sir, I don't like it.
iMac late 2013

#33 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:09 PM

View PostJanichsan, on September 13th 2006, 07:30 AM, said:

I was wondering if someone would remember Project Torlan. I think it got fairly far along, enough to release some things, but are currently in limbo for the same reasons that afflict so many mod teams. They currently have only a temporary placeholder website.

View PostFrost, on September 13th 2006, 02:17 PM, said:

No need to hate Bungie.
A number of aspects of this thread make me uncomfortable, but I think keeping silent overall is best for harmony.

Btw, Frost, is this what you wanted access to the vocal clips for some time back?

View PostWhiteSavage, on September 13th 2006, 04:55 PM, said:

I think Auron is right, that the clamps are on as regards public distro; Frost would know best. And large corps tend to act alike- some even sue journo sites claiming they lack first amendment rights, then lose their court cases; yet have their vocal defenders.

View Posthambone, on September 12th 2006, 04:24 AM, said:

buncha corporate apologists the lot of you. sometimes i swear most of the frequent posters on IMG these days are middle aged men siting around waiting for their stock portfolios to mature.
Way to make friends. Try my life on for size sometime; you might count yourself lucky. :glare:

#34 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:31 PM

View PostBatcat, on September 13th 2006, 10:09 PM, said:

Btw, Frost, is this what you wanted access to the vocal clips for some time back?
Yup, that would be it. Was trying to get the sound of elites and grunts down (hence my comment elsewhere "How do did you know I do voiceovers on the side?" ;)) and couldn't find a good source of examples to work from. I finally got both pretty darn close, though the grunt just annihilates the vocal chords. One of the staff suggesting hitting myself in the crotch with a hammer while doing grunt lines to get the high notes, but luckily I didn't have to resort to such drastic tactics.

... and then we get canned by lawyers. :glare:
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#35 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:56 AM

View PostFrost, on September 14th 2006, 12:31 AM, said:

...pretty darn close, though the grunt just annihilates the vocal chords. One of the staff suggesting hitting myself in the crotch with a hammer while doing grunt lines to get the high notes, but luckily I didn't have to resort to such drastic tactics.

... and then we get canned by lawyers. :glare:
Lawyers... yeah, don't get me started. :mellow: Anyway I think Joe pretty much agrees with you, so that + variety are both good reasons for adding a second, complementary voiceover guy when Halo 2 (that lately under-represented game :)) tripled the dialogue line count from 5,000 to 15,000.

(Also btw, did you notice Bungie quietly released the 'official' working names of the characters- e.g., Joe's original H1 and H2 voice is Grunt_Crazy, the 'new for H2' voice is Grunt_Dopey, etc. All new clips are classed on these lines, but I think Louis/Claude's a bit reluctant to go back and reclass the hundreds of lines already catalogued. I wonder why :)).

Also Capt. Spark recently promised a tutorial for using the IWHBYD skull (which is how that came to mind so readily in the Insults thread):

I'm working on a IWHBYD skull tutorial. I will have some tips, screenshots and maybe a few small videos tossed in to help those wanting to get the skull.

In case you don't know what the I Would Have Been Your Daddy is. It is a skull in the Outskirts level that, once activated, triggers loads of unusual and humorous character dialogue heard throughout the game. There are about 10,000 lines of combat dialogue in Halo 2, and activating this skull will allow you to hear dialogue that you probably wouldn't hear without it.
Bungie put it in H2 expressly so we could hear more of the painstaking writing and vocal work they did; similarly they left in the 'bug' that lets the gun point down just so Red vs. Blue could keep on without changing styles. They're still a pretty cool group.

Spark just posted on the 12th that he's pretty much done, just polishing up now.

#36 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

View PostWhiteSavage, on September 13th 2006, 05:55 PM, said:

huh?  :blink:  If they make and play it among themselves how would microsoft stop them much less know they're doing it?

#37 Abecedaria

Abecedaria

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:46 PM

View PostJanichsan, on September 12th 2006, 08:28 PM, said:

Ummm, yeah. I still can't imagine there's much hope for a Mac version, but....ya never know.

<off to eat some crow>

abc
"THIS is Ceti-alpha 5!"
| 17" MacBook Pro | Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz | 2GB RAM | Radeon Mobility x1600 256MB |
| Boot Camp Windows XP Config: ATI Driver - DHzer0point Catalyst 0.69 | Current overclock: 475 - 475 (stock) |

#38 apsinnott

apsinnott

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:19 PM

People need to wake up. Bungie the fun, energenic Mac game developer is dead! It is now strictly Intellectual Property of Microsoft!
Bungie sold out as soon as they were bought by Microsoft because the xbox launch date was finite and therefor so was Halo's release date.
Any true Bungie fan will tell you ALL of their previous games were released when they were DONE, not kicked out the door for a product launch date. That's why the Myth series was so awesome from start to finish and every board was a polished product.They delayed it to finish it right.
Now with Halo, that's why after the first 2 or 3 boards Halo repeats itself and then turns into total crap by the end of the game... Driving the Warhog off the top of the spaceship as the last board?! Besides the initial innovation and level design they already had done, when they got bought by Microsoft they just hobbled it altogether and crammed it in a box.
Just like Oni, practically a revolutionary game in it's own right until it became an abortion.. huge parts of that game were just abandoned. At least I could buy that because MS doesn't own it.
Microsoft: How can we stifle innovation today?

#39 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:53 PM

Bungie is still fun and energetic, do you read their weekly updates? Have you played Halo 2? While I admit, the Halo series is no where near my list of favorite games anymore(though it has been), you can't say that it's crap, it's great to just put in the console when you are tired, and play through your favorite level.
Oh and Myth? What about the bug that deleted hard drives?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#40 msoell

msoell

Wideload Games Inc.

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:03 PM

View Postapsinnott, on September 14th 2006, 08:19 PM, said:

Any true Bungie fan will tell you ALL of their previous games were released when they were DONE, not kicked out the door for a product launch date.
Your understanding of Bungie's internal dynamics, both pre- and post-Microsoft, is deeply flawed.

-Matt