• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:10 AM

MS has dropped the gavel on Halogen, a fan-made Halo-themed mod for C&C lovingly crafted over the last three years.

Would the Bungie of old have done this? The Bungie that encouraged boundless and inventive Marathon and Myth mods?

Boo hiss.

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:48 AM

Huh? These are two completely different things.

The mods for Marathon and Myth are exactly that - mods for Marathon and Myth. They change these games.

If someone would have tried to make a Marathon-mod for Doom or a Myth-mod for Warcraft, exactly the same would have happened.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:43 AM

View Posthambone, on September 10th 2006, 11:10 PM, said:

MS has dropped the gavel on Halogen, a fan-made Halo-themed mod for C&C lovingly crafted over the last three years.

Would the Bungie of old have done this? The Bungie that encouraged boundless and inventive Marathon and Myth mods?

Boo hiss.
Are you saying Microsoft is suing them? If so, how is that Bungie's fault? :unsure:
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#4 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:02 AM

I'd never heard of this thing before - looks like it was really cool. I think it's a shame that a mod like this - which after all is unlikely to be costing Bungie/MS any sales - is getting squashed.

You'd think it woudl be worth spinning up into a commercial add-on pack so everyone would get paid!

I appreciate that it's not 100% on-topic, but I always thought that the Halo mod community was a lot weaker than I expected it to be. (Compared to, say, Marathon or Myth)

All in all. kind of disappointing.

Business is business I guess. Even when it isn't (good, imaginative, forward-looking) business.

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#5 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:05 AM

and how does it make them sell-outs.

tell me what would've happened to bungie if they'd stayed on the mac? had've halo been a mac title?
i can sure as hell tell you it wouldnt've become the title you know today. who knows bungie might have even sunken into the depths of nothingness?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#6 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:12 AM

View PostJanichsan, on September 11th 2006, 04:48 PM, said:

If someone would have tried to make a Marathon-mod for Doom or a Myth-mod for Warcraft, exactly the same would have happened.
Or a Marathon mod for UT?

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:21 AM

View PostTesseract, on September 11th 2006, 11:12 AM, said:

Or a Marathon mod for UT?
Apart from the name and the levels: did this (never really finished) mod look anything like Marathon? The similarities were probably far too small to be bothered with.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:54 AM

View PostJanichsan, on September 11th 2006, 02:21 AM, said:

Apart from the name and the levels: did this (never really finished) mod look anything like Marathon? The similarities were probably far too small to be bothered with.
Marathon: Resurrection looked and worked and felt exactly like Marathon.  Every texture was lovingly hand crafted and updated into the new engine.  There were several Marathon 1 levels completed to exact specification of the original as well as some of the more popular net levels.  The weapons were designed to look and feel the same, much care was taken to make them exactly the same weapons.  The physics were carefully duplicated even to the timing of the powerup terminals, the shot effects, and the damage.  It was an exhaustive and successful effort to bring Marathon to the UT 99 engine.  M:R called in hardcore players such as myself to critique it so that they could include such nuance as grenades splashing in a liquid while still having explosive damage.  

You could not look at the game and not know it was Marathon, only it was like it was a drawing come to life, so well crafted it was.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:19 AM

Hmm. Reading the news post on the mod's website, they gave up awfully easy. They could have at least _tried_ to negotiate.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#10 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:24 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on September 11th 2006, 02:54 PM, said:

Marathon: Resurrection looked and worked and felt exactly like Marathon.

My only beef with it was how *wrong* the Pfhor looked. It's a shame it's not running on top of  a more contemporary shooter too. A DOOM3 engine Marathon would be a sight to see...

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#11 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:31 AM

View Posthambone, on September 11th 2006, 02:10 AM, said:

Boo hiss.

You know what? They have every right to do this. Every right. Its their intellectual property and there's no telling that they wouldn't have done the same thing if they weren't owned by Microsoft. I know if I had some cool intellectual property I wouldn't want people doing stuff like this with it without my approval.

They aren't the first or last company to do it, so get used to it.

#12 wickedsteve

wickedsteve

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:13 PM

Play with fire and there is a good chance to get burned.
Play with someone elses intelluctual property and there is a good chance to get a cease and desist.
I serve too many masters.

#13 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:32 PM

View Posthambone, on September 11th 2006, 02:10 AM, said:

Boo hiss.
What - exactly - did Bungie do here? It was Microsoft that told the Halogen developers to stop. I read the news item on Halogen's main webpage, and it did not say that Bungie did anything.

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on September 11th 2006, 03:54 PM, said:

Marathon: Resurrection...
Marathon: Resurrection??

I don't even know this one. How could I miss this?

I was referring to Marathon: Rampancy, which looked a bit like Marathon but never got the feeling right.

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

View PostJanichsan, on September 11th 2006, 05:27 PM, said:

Marathon: Resurrection??

I don't even know this one. How could I miss this?

I was referring to Marathon: Rampancy, which looked a bit like Marathon but never got the feeling right.
Hie thee to a funnery.  And here is a shout out to Wolfchild and his crew for an amazing job.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:24 AM

buncha corporate apologists the lot of you. sometimes i swear most of the frequent posters on IMG these days are middle aged men siting around waiting for their stock portfolios to mature.

MS owns Bungie and whatever Bungie produces. And yes, they have the right to restrict the use of their IP.

But there is something important in people being able to interpret and express in new ways the ideas and arts that stimulate them. We used to call that "culture" and it used to be something shared. Now we make excuses for corporations even when a bunch of kids like Halogen are doing their thing for fun, love and to teach themselves some skills.

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:38 AM

Well, sorry that we don't go crazy in assent, but M$ has the right to protect it's intellectual property.

Just like Blizzard did when it pulled the plug on FreeCraft and on this StarCraft mod for C&C (IIRC), just like EA did when it pulled the plug on this C&C remake, just like David Braben did when he pulled the plug on Elite TNK...

They might be wrong on this and you don't have to agree with this, but they have the right.

#18 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

View Posthambone, on September 12th 2006, 04:24 AM, said:

buncha corporate apologists the lot of you. sometimes i swear most of the frequent posters on IMG these days are middle aged men siting around waiting for their stock portfolios to mature.

MS owns Bungie and whatever Bungie produces. And yes, they have the right to restrict the use of their IP.

But there is something important in people being able to interpret and express in new ways the ideas and arts that stimulate them. We used to call that "culture" and it used to be something shared. Now we make excuses for corporations even when a bunch of kids like Halogen are doing their thing for fun, love and to teach themselves some skills.

A good question might be does this mod hurt MS sales in any way? I think not. While I acknowledge that MS has the right to be evil and protect it's intellectual property, it's mostly just another reason to dislike them.

BTW, Bungie sold out years ago but I don't blame them for making a decision that changed them from a struggling company to a highly successful one although it took me several years to get over it. ;)

#19 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:52 PM

View PostBernie, on September 11th 2006, 05:32 PM, said:

What - exactly - did Bungie do here? It was Microsoft that told the Halogen developers to stop. I read the news item on Halogen's main webpage, and it did not say that Bungie did anything.
For the record, Bungie liked Halogen and didn't think very highly of the decision to close us down; that decision was 100% Microsoft, and Bungie fought it and lost. Their only "win" was Sketch getting permission to talk to us civilly before the Lawyer Squad came in acting like a pile of a$$holes.

It's a shame too, Halogen would've been the first and only C&C Generals mod to have Mac support and a Mac version right off the bat. And to think, after 3 years (9 months of which I was on the team), we were within 2 weeks of beta, with a public release expected by the end of the year. :(

What really burns my ass is I initially found out about Halogen about two years ago from an ex-Bungie MaraMag contact. Define irony. I suspect this kind of thing is why much of OldBungie is now known as Wideload. With that kind of atmosphere, I'd leave too.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#20 Abecedaria

Abecedaria

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:04 PM

View Posthambone, on September 12th 2006, 02:24 AM, said:

Go, Hambone, Go! I'm with you man.

<bitter on>
Bungie was the brightest star in the Mac gaming world until MS bought them out. They were cool about what people did with their IP because they realized that a strong, evangelical community helped sell software. Old Bungie would have NEVER squashed a project like this. People can apologize for them all they want, but that's the truth.
All I know is that you probably aren't even going to see Halo 2 on the PC, let alone on the Mac. If you want to play Bungie games from now on, you'll need an XBOX. Good riddance, Bungie.
<bitter off>
abc
"THIS is Ceti-alpha 5!"
| 17" MacBook Pro | Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz | 2GB RAM | Radeon Mobility x1600 256MB |
| Boot Camp Windows XP Config: ATI Driver - DHzer0point Catalyst 0.69 | Current overclock: 475 - 475 (stock) |