I just installed Vista on my iMac and i gota say...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

well ruffly 20min ago i installed Windows Vista Beta 2 on my iMac Core Duo 2GB RAM 256MB vid card.

here is what i have to say:

first off the install is very hard and confusing. you need to have a deep knowledge of operating systems, how they work, and drive partitioning. it all went fine until i rebooted after finishing the installation. hopping to finally get a "welcome to Vista" sign after half an hour of waiting and nervously deleting my EFI Partition, it gave me an error. why am i not surprised. Oh yeah! Because its windo$. any way, i had to boot off my the disk and repair the installation. after that everything worked fine (well except for hanging about 5min on startup screen).

When i first made it to the desktop i noticed that apparently my X1600 already has drivers. so i was seeing the glassy aro (mind my miss spelling). unfortunately, my X1600 was just about the ONLY thing that had drivers. in the guide i used to installing the guy said that he got ethernet to work, but seeing as i dont even have an ethernet cable leading into my room i decided to try and experience what vista had to offer without the internet. and i gota tell ya', it sure is like OS X.

the thing that most struck my like a rip off was gadgets pretty much widgets. there is nothing els to say. secondly the spotli...i mean "windows search" feature is just like in os x. one thing that vista does have running for it is there cool command tab system. when you click it it pops up something semi resembling the time machine interface. overall, for appearance, even though vista is sort of a os x rip off, it sure does look a hell of a lot better than XP.

ill report more later.

-Lemon Lime

#2 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

UPDATE:

i was going out on a limb and tried to install the drivers using the macintosh drivers for windows xp cd that boot camp automatically burns for you, well, expectedly it dosnt work.

if anyone knows where to find drivers for wifi then that would be great.

[edit]- ok i just did some googling and apparently if i can get ethernet working then i can get wifi working.

#3 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:19 AM

But is it better than XP? :o
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#4 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:29 AM

i have to say yes, it definatly looks better. even better than os x in some ways.

in addition it has not crashed once since i installed it, which is more than i can say for xp.

#5 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:34 PM

No viruses yet. I still find Vista to be "clunky", like all the Windows OSs.
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#6 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:05 AM

The pricing for upgrades is dramatic; the price for a new copy is a tragedy.

#7 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:41 AM

View PostLemon Lime, on September 8th 2006, 06:56 PM, said:

well ruffly 20min ago i installed Windows Vista Beta 2 on my iMac Core Duo 2GB RAM 256MB vid card.
Why Beta 2? Vista's already two major builds past that with RC1, available since Wednesday to the first 5,000,000 DLers and functional until June 1, by which time Bootcamp may officially support it. By rights, with new driver models, different 32 and 64 bit versions and no implied support by Bootcamp (itself still beta), it should be wonky as hell, not stable. Since RC1 is by reports more like Beta 3 than a true release candidate and will get more rewriting before release, it doesn't sound half bad for a late-beta OS running on beta EFI support. (Also sounds promising for... a certain game I've heard of. :whistling: )

Anyway, the price is higher than XP, and several companies like Amazon and Dell are pushing for lower pricing, esp. holiday discounts; and as sources including Ars point to, you can upgrade to a higher version anytime by paying the difference. The entirety of Vista thru Ultimate ships on one DVD- buy Home Basic now, upgrade to Home Premium later for another $40, etc.

Except for Ultimate, the price isn't much higher than XP (which has no Ultimate), and of course there'll be OEM versions for less.

#8 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:45 AM

View PostBatcat, on September 10th 2006, 03:41 AM, said:

Why Beta 2? Vista's already two major builds past that with RC1, available since Wednesday to the first 5,000,000 DLers and functional until June 1, by which time Bootcamp may officially support it. By rights, with new driver models, different 32 and 64 bit versions and no implied support by Bootcamp (itself still beta), it should be wonky as hell, not stable. Since RC1 is by reports more like Beta 3 than a true release candidate and will get more rewriting before release, it doesn't sound half bad for a late-beta OS running on beta EFI support. (Also sounds promising for... a certain game I've heard of. :whistling: )

the reason i went with the Beta 2 is because i had the ISO lying around in my "stuff to keep folder" and i didn't feel like downloading another 3GB file.

also i did this out of boredom (yes i install operating systems on my imac out of boredom) in fact i have installed: windows xp, ubuntu linux, Knoppix linux, have used several live cd's, OS X (obviously), and know Vista. you may say i am spreading my hard drive a wee' thin. but in actuality i only currently have 2 os's installed. i normally (except for XP) dont keep my non needed os's installed for more than month, because, a)i need the HD space for my os x partition, and b) i really dont have a use for most of them.

View Posthambone, on September 10th 2006, 02:05 AM, said:

yeah, i heard about the prices last night when i was listening to TWiT. i know big business wont, but maybe this will convince some of the small business and individuals to swing over to the mac side..?

#9 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:18 AM

View PostLemon Lime, on September 10th 2006, 09:45 AM, said:

...in fact i have installed: windows xp, ubuntu linux, Knoppix linux, have used several live cd's
How did you get Knoppix to boot? I can't figure out how to burn the CD with a GUID vs. a Master boot record?
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#10 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

View PostSiriusfox, on September 10th 2006, 10:18 AM, said:

How did you get Knoppix to boot? I can't figure out how to burn the CD with a GUID vs. a Master boot record?

i just used disk utility to burn the iso.

#11 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:28 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on September 10th 2006, 11:45 AM, said:

the reason i went with the Beta 2 is because i had the ISO lying around in my "stuff to keep folder" and i didn't feel like downloading another 3GB file.
You might consider trying RC1. Most reports say that, altho not really ready for prime time, it's much better than beta 2- also a fairly fast DL on a fat pipe, altho the 3.7GB build might take > 60 minutes.

yeah, i heard about the prices last night when i was listening to TWiT. i know big business wont, but maybe this will convince some of the small business and individuals to swing over to the mac side..?
Not many. Since you'd have to buy new hardware as well, the overall cost of switching would far exceed the retail cost of Vista Business Upgrade, or even Ultimate Full for that matter.

#12 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:33 PM

View PostBatcat, on September 10th 2006, 08:28 PM, said:

Not many. Since you'd have to buy new hardware as well, the overall cost of switching would far exceed the retail cost of Vista Business Upgrade, or even Ultimate Full for that matter.

but still, for individual users it makes sense. because a) vista probably wont run on their now obsolete hardware (considering the fact that XP has been out for quite a while) b) it gives them a reason to upgrade to faster machine, and c) to get the ultimate upgrade, upgrade your ram, and vid card, just so you can run vista will cost more than a Mac Mini and maybe even a iMac.

#13 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:24 AM

An obsessed Windows friend of mine had this to say in response to Vista Beta 2. "It could be the death of Microsoft"

Now I don't think it's that bad, but I don't think this will be a very good OS, or that it will be adopted very quickly.
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#14 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:40 PM

View PostSiriusfox, on September 11th 2006, 07:24 AM, said:

An obsessed Windows friend of mine had this to say in response to Vista Beta 2. "It could be the death of Microsoft"

Now I don't think it's that bad, but I don't think this will be a very good OS, or that it will be adopted very quickly.

To tell you the truth no OS is adopted quickly. The only reason why a new OS is adopted by most people is they get a new computer and it comes preloaded. Some people are ignorant to OS' and others are so used to their present OS that they don't want to change no matter if the newer one is better or not. So no, Vista won't get adopted very quickly but that won't have anything to do with its quality. Although *shrugs* it IS still Windows after all so if a person hates Windows in general it probably won't change their mind.

I think Vista will be a decent but not a "change your life" "second coming" OS. It does have some good features most of which are already in OS X but at least more people will be able to use those features. But speaking of features it seems like some features have been cross pollinated a little with the new album views in iTunes which where in WMP first AFAIK.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7