19 replies to this topic

#1 Erwin Heiser

Erwin Heiser

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:57 AM

I've searched the forums but can't seem to find it.
Anyone here with a Macbook pro playing WOW who can comment on performance?

#2 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:04 AM

Confirmation would be nice, but my guess is that Wow's performance will be good on this hardware.

#3 1337

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:33 AM

I love it.  I had it installed on the OS X and Windows partition.  I only had it on Windows since my Nostromo n52 didn't work on the Mac side... until I got ControllerMate 4.  It's worked well thus far, so I'm a happy camper.

Frame rates are higher on the Windows side, but not by much, and I can definitely say my MBP can handle it.

#4 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

It runs fine on a MacBook - on the MB Pro it should own.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#5 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:41 AM

People dont understand how fire trucking powerful the MBPro's really are!

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#6 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:44 AM

i have everything cranked to max and all the extras turned on playing on my MBP 2GHz w/ 1GB RAm and the 256MB x1600 at the native res of 1440x900.  the only thing i hold back on is to turn anti-aliasing on only half way (if at all? i can't quite remember). but with the full-screen bloom on it doesn't really matter much.

with that, i hold a steady 45FPS in all situations. there can still be a few loading hiccups when i fly into Ogrimar, but those usually last for only a couple of seconds.

The full draw distance is amazing and particularly useful in Warsong Gulch. You can really tell when someone can't see you but you can see them. And I had no idea how much of the game i was "missing" on my old AlBook 1.25GHz with the draw distance set to like half or 1/3. It really makes the game quite splendid and adds to the sense of immersion greatly.

Too bad I'm bored of the gameplay! I've been firing up my subscription for a few weeks every couple of months just to play around. I'm letting my sub lapse again after tomorrow until the expansion comes out in Nov and I can get back on that leveling treadmill.

#7 opmdude

opmdude

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:42 PM

View Posthambone, on September 10th 2006, 01:44 AM, said:

i have everything cranked to max and all the extras turned on playing on my MBP 2GHz w/ 1GB RAm and the 256MB x1600 at the native res of 1440x900.  the only thing i hold back on is to turn anti-aliasing on only half way (if at all? i can't quite remember). but with the full-screen bloom on it doesn't really matter much.

with that, i hold a steady 45FPS in all situations. there can still be a few loading hiccups when i fly into Ogrimar, but those usually last for only a couple of seconds.

The full draw distance is amazing and particularly useful in Warsong Gulch. You can really tell when someone can't see you but you can see them. And I had no idea how much of the game i was "missing" on my old AlBook 1.25GHz with the draw distance set to like half or 1/3. It really makes the game quite splendid and adds to the sense of immersion greatly.

Too bad I'm bored of the gameplay! I've been firing up my subscription for a few weeks every couple of months just to play around. I'm letting my sub lapse again after tomorrow until the expansion comes out in Nov and I can get back on that leveling treadmill.

... my macbookpro is a whole different story , if i put the gfx to high i get a kernel panic 5 min later :s , and my fps is then 14 .... , don't ask me why , it sucks :(

#8 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:17 PM

View Postopmdude, on October 2nd 2006, 01:42 PM, said:

... my macbookpro is a whole different story , if i put the gfx to high i get a kernel panic 5 min later :s , and my fps is then 14 .... , don't ask me why , it sucks :(

Throttling due to overheating, then boom. That's a McGriddle for you.

#9 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:33 AM

View Postopmdude, on October 2nd 2006, 03:42 PM, said:

You've got something going on there... WoW played just fine on my 15" PB, the MacBook Pro's predecessor.

#10 opmdude

opmdude

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:49 AM

View PostHuntn, on October 3rd 2006, 05:33 AM, said:

You've got something going on there... WoW played just fine on my 15" PB, the MacBook Pro's predecessor.

Got the same machine as you , :( don't know what's wrong :( , what setting's you play , how many fps?

#11 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:29 AM

View Postopmdude, on October 3rd 2006, 10:49 AM, said:

Got the same machine as you , :( don't know what's wrong :( , what setting's you play , how many fps?

Do you have a Mac Book Pro or a 15" Powerbook or both? I have the Powerbook. My impression is that you have a MacBook Pro. It should be way mo-faster than the Powerbook. When I played WoW, my fps was from 14-25 depending on the setting.

I remember that one of the things that killed performance was the distance settings. It need to be dialed back. As I recall I also add the anti-aliasing off and other settings in the mid ranges.

#12 opmdude

opmdude

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:14 PM

View PostHuntn, on October 3rd 2006, 09:29 AM, said:

Do you have a Mac Book Pro or a 15" Powerbook or both? I have the Powerbook. My impression is that you have a MacBook Pro. It should be way mo-faster than the Powerbook. When I played WoW, my fps was from 14-25 depending on the setting.

I remember that one of the things that killed performance was the distance settings. It need to be dialed back. As I recall I also add the anti-aliasing off and other settings in the mid ranges.

sry got a macbookpro ... , i find it strange as well

#13 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:28 PM

opmdude, your MBP is obviously broken if you are getting thermal shut-downs every 5 mins. I've run my MBP with everything maxed (and I do mean everything) in WoW for hours without a problem. Same goes when playing some demanding PC games like FarCry or HOMMV when I boot into WinXP.

Call Apple and get that thing repaired under warranty. Hardware repairs won't cost you a thing no matter what the problem is.

#14 opmdude

opmdude

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:29 PM

View Posthambone, on October 4th 2006, 09:28 PM, said:

opmdude, your MBP is obviously broken if you are getting thermal shut-downs every 5 mins. I've run my MBP with everything maxed (and I do mean everything) in WoW for hours without a problem. Same goes when playing some demanding PC games like FarCry or HOMMV when I boot into WinXP.

Call Apple and get that thing repaired under warranty. Hardware repairs won't cost you a thing no matter what the problem is.

Problem is got my macbookpro in March-april , so my 60 day's warranty are gone...

#15 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

View Postopmdude, on October 6th 2006, 02:29 PM, said:

Problem is got my macbookpro in March-april , so my 60 day's warranty are gone...

Macs come with 1 year warranties. Get it fixed dude! :P

#16 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:00 AM

View Postbookman, on September 6th 2006, 03:00 PM, said:

It runs fine on a MacBook - on the MB Pro it should own.

How much RAM do you have on your Macbook? My wife is due for a Mac hardware upgrade and due to my sales pitch she is actually considering WoW.  :luck:

#17 macpete

macpete

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Steam ID:pcristofol

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:33 PM

I've played WoW on a 15" MacBook Pro (2.16 GHz/2 Gb) and it plays really well even with all the details maxed out (FSAA half-way). If you switch on the OpenGL multithreading feature (using the console) it will play smooth even in the most crowded situations. WoW is one of the very few games that deserves to be run under Mac OS X IMHO ...

Pietro Cristofoli
Ora d'Aria Team
tumblr

-------------------

#18 rogue

rogue

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:57 PM

My brother has a MPB with a CoreDuo (not Core2Duo), and the 256MB X1600 graphics. He ran the game with everything maxed out except for weather details which he turned to halfway. (I don't recall him having an Anti-Aliasing option.) I don't know the fps, but I know it runs great. However, he upgraded from 1GB RAM to 2GB RAM after getting the expansion, and he says it helped smooth things out in some of areas.
Macintosh Heroes of Might and Magic
http://strategyplanet.com/homm/mac

#19 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

Thanks guys, but I'm wondering about a plain ole MacBook without the Pro, wondering how much RAM it takes for decent performance?

#20 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:05 PM

View PostHuntn, on February 21st 2007, 02:47 PM, said:

Thanks guys, but I'm wondering about a plain ole MacBook without the Pro, wondering how much RAM it takes for decent performance?

I am sure it runs fine now, I know before hand WoW was having terrible problems with the new intel chips, but the latest updates have brought it up to universal standards.  And if you have any questions about if it will play, let me put it this way.  Before I got my 2.33ghz macbook pro, I was playing WoW on a 700mhz iMac G4, you know the older sphere with moving monitor ones ^_^.  Anyways it had 512mgb of ram with the 32mgb graphic card and I was able to play WoW.  Graphics were at the lowest and in big cities like Iron Forge i had like 1fps (no joke) but outside it ran decent enough to play.  So I am willing to put money down that the new macbook's with 1 gig of ram will run it fine on average graphic settings.

P.S on my 2.33ghz macbook pro, I can play with all settings set at max and don't have any problems anywhere with an average FPS of 45
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-Shiny, lets be bad guys ~Jane
-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal