#21 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:46 PM

View PostBifBologna, on April 15th 2007, 05:30 PM, said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I wasn't sure where else to put this, and I haven't seen anybody else mention it yet, so...

I read the following quote in a Planet Quake Q&A about ET: Quake Wars today...

How long after release are the Mac and Linux binaries expected?
Question from McAfee
We don’t have a date yet, but the work has been going well. Aspyr has started working on the OS X version of the game and they have it running already. Timothee Besset at id Software did a lot of ground work on the Linux platform and this is benefiting the OS X platform. zinx is helping Timothee with the Linux binaries, so we expect to have the Linux dedicated server ready when the game ships.
Looks like pretty good news to me. Of course, system specs are still a question.

You can find the Whole Q&A here.

Bif
Oh please let it be UB Aspyr and not Intel only... Please let it be UB!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#22 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

Dang!!! You beat me to it BiffBologna  :lol: . This is great news!!! I just got a MacPro, so I was already tempted to get this for the Windows side if there weren't any news of a port in the works... I would much rather have it for the Mac. Hopefully here will have cross-platforming playability since the PC side will undoubtedly have a much larger fan base... hopefully it doesn't end up like Quake 4, since I stopped trying a long time ago to play MP since I couldn't join any games and since ET:QW is strictly an online affair, that would totally kill the game  :bleedingeyes: . Another thing I would wonder about is performance.. since OS X uses OpenGL, maybe performance will be a lot better than on the PC side. Oh and it really has to be a Universal App., that way I can play it at work on my break time  :lol: . Man I' super excited now, hopefully Aspyr will give us a bit of news sometime soon!

#23 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

woot! finally, something official.

i fully expect to be seeing a maximum of 12 FPS on my wonder cube :P  but ill still try and play it (heck, i did the CoD2 beach landing with a super rock steady 5FPS).

BTW, i snagged this:
"The minimum system specification won’t be finalized until performance optimizations are complete. However, we’re targeting a platform similar in specification to the Quake 4 system requirements."

so, hopefully itll still be a UB (its definitely do-able, especially with all the D3 engine work that theyve done), and they will hopefully still keep the last gen of G4 PB in the spec... though i wouldnt expect it, and chances are itll be dual 1.8GHz or single 2.0Ghz minimum... thats just a gut feeling though.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#24 lenn

lenn

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

Great news about a MacOSX ET:QW port! I used to play Wolf:ET alot and thought it was the best multiplayer game on the mac. I also loved Warbirds 2.x ;-)

Am hoping QW runs well on my first gen iMac Core Duo, 1gig, ATi 1600/128

lenn

#25 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:29 PM

if theyre aiming for Q4 type entry level requirements, then it will do...

anyway, thats still a pretty competent gaming machine. to exclude that rig would exclude a heck of a lot of other potential buyers.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#26 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:29 AM

View Postteflon, on April 15th 2007, 09:29 PM, said:

if theyre aiming for Q4 type entry level requirements, then it will do...

anyway, thats still a pretty competent gaming machine. to exclude that rig would exclude a heck of a lot of other potential buyers.

Excuse me, remind me what is Quake Wars ? A MMO in the quake universe ? Will we be able to play as stroggs ?

#27 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:14 AM

View PostiRolley, on April 16th 2007, 04:29 PM, said:

Excuse me, remind me what is Quake Wars ?
It's a team-based objective-oriented FPS. The basic play style is like that of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. The setting is the Quake universe.

A MMO in the quake universe ?
Depends how you define "massive". ;)

Will we be able to play as stroggs ?
Yes.

#28 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:07 AM

if youve not played Wolfenstein:ET (WET :lol: ), then its akin to an evolved form of Battlefield 1942 or Onslaught in UT2004.

#29 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

View Postteflon, on April 16th 2007, 10:07 AM, said:

if youve not played Wolfenstein:ET (WET :lol: ), then its akin to an evolved form of Battlefield 1942 or Onslaught in UT2004.

Ok thanks for the replies, but what I still can't figure out is if it's a perpetual universe, like WoW, or a plain multiplayer game like UT, but more mission oriented ?

#30 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:52 PM

The latter.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#31 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

Well, it's an online game only (besides whatever training tutorials are offered off-line). I guess you can describe it as a Battlefield type game.. but more like Enemy Territory Wolfenstein. There are vehicles for each side, GDF (Earth) and the Strogg, different weapons and different character classes, like medic, engineer, soldier, etc. The game takes place after the original but before part 2 I believe, but there isn't a real story, every map takes place at certain time of the Strogg invasion.. you just kinda act out what happens and since you are competing with other players, it can go either way. This games main focus is on strategy and working as a team unit to accomplish mission objectives so you can win the match... oh and it's a first-person shooter.. and since you asked about MMOs, there isn't a monthly subscription fee to play. If you want more info go check it out at gamespot or IGN.. IGN seems to have a bit more coverage on the game http://pc.ign.com/ob...748/748377.html

#32 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

Oh, well I guess I misunderstood.  I had it in my mind that this was more of an expansion pack to Quake 4 than it was an online only MMO.

Here, watch my excitement level go down visibly.................................................... there.  Gone.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#33 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:20 PM

But are there bots?  If so, then I'm interested (as long as there's a PPC version, of course).

--Eric

#34 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:47 PM

Aww come on BT, this game looks awesome!!! Oh well I guess, I'm still looking forward to it. Oh and yeah, the off-line is supposed to have bots... very customizable bots, in terms of intelligence and tactics, www.totalquakewars.com has a lot more info on the game if anyone is interested. For everyone that had griped about Battlefield 2 not coming to the mac.. this game is supposed to completely blow that series away in terms of... well pretty much everything  :lol:

#35 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:53 PM

View PostEric5h5, on April 16th 2007, 10:20 PM, said:

But are there bots?  If so, then I'm interested (as long as there's a PPC version, of course).

--Eric

Initially I think they weren't planning on bots. Now, however, it looks like there will be bots in Quake Wars. The following quote is from a GameZone interview with Kevin Cloud of id...

Question: What will the single-player mode entail?
Kevin: The game will have bots for the single-player mode. Our goal when creating the bots is for players to not be able to tell the difference between the bots and human players. Bots will taunt you, go after you in Warm-up, basically they’ll do all the things that a human player will do. They’re at a point where they can do anything.

Bif

edit - curse my slow peck peck typing :blush:
edit2 - while I was flittin' around the web some more this evening I came across an IGN video interview with Paul Wedgwood where he says that bots will be included in both the single player and multiplayer modes. At least that's what it sounded like to me.

#36 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

View PostBifBologna, on April 17th 2007, 01:53 AM, said:

Now, however, it looks like there will be bots in Quake Wars.

Cool.  And interesting juxtoposition with the Mark Rein interview about how over half of UT players just play against bots.  That's me.  (Well, as long as they don't make the bots too realistic, and have them constantly blathering "omg lololol roxx0rz i kill u wtf!!!!" and stuff....)

--Eric

#37 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

Lots of people seem to think that QW is coming to the Mac, but I haven't seen an announcement yet.

Then again, I've been living where the Internet dare not reach for 2 weeks.

'sup people? Is my lovely MacPro finally going to get a proper workout?

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#38 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:00 AM

View PostLord Brixton, on April 17th 2007, 11:42 AM, said:

Lots of people seem to think that QW is coming to the Mac, but I haven't seen an announcement yet.

Read post #20 in this thread.

--Eric

#39 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

check the bottom of the previous page of this thread, and youll see a quote from an FAQ with Paul Wedgewood which effectively says that Aspyr are working on the port already..

unofficially official. ;)

and yes, itll be getting a work out.

#40 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:19 AM

Ahh yes. Suggestions of a rumour at least, if not a gilt-edged promise.

Maybe we'll get more official notification soon.

Say, doesn't the Aspyr Lady come on here from time to time?

:)

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image