#41 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

View PostMaestro, on August 16th 2006, 03:24 PM, said:

You must not know what it takes to program a game.

Do you honestly think MacSoft is gouging us?
If that's your qulifacation of a "patch" then the PPC version of halo is a "patch" since it was "natively" playable on the XBox.

You know what?! All Aspyr does is sell PATCHES?!?!!!! Their ripping us off!
Perhaps, you should never post stupid stuff again.
Actually, being a programmer, I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to program a game.  It's not about "gouging" us.  It's about setting a very dangerous precedent.  We've now reached the point of no return; publishers of all sorts can now base a decision on charging for video game patches.

Perhaps you should calm down and stop drinking the Mac gaming koolaid before posting a rant about a 5 year old game.
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.

#42 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

View Posttthiel, on August 16th 2006, 04:30 PM, said:

How anyone considers this a "patch" is beyond me.
Am I missing something?  Did they release new maps?  Perhaps new weapons?  Vehicles?

The cost of doing business, the cost selling a piece of software, normally would not include these types of additions for free.  Sometimes we get lucky and actually get these for free.  Oft than not they're called "expansion packs".

So, perhaps I did miss something in what Macsoft released.  All I saw was it's a UB patch.  I saw they said it took them a lot of time and they want to charge me for it.  

I don't recall seeing any past UB patches from any publisher being sold.

#43 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:51 PM

How could anyone argue with someone who holds the lofty title of "Former WoW Retail Beta Tester" and is also a "programmer"!  I know I'm impressed....

#44 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

View Posttthiel, on August 16th 2006, 04:51 PM, said:

How could anyone argue with someone who holds the lofty title of "Former WoW Retail Beta Tester" and is also a "programmer"!  I know I'm impressed....
I see you lack the intelligence to reply with something other than playground insults.  Perhaps my points are valid?

It's amazing to me how when "teh Halo" is a pay to play UB patch the majority is like "Oh, cool, teh Halo is teh awesome, I will pay."  I'd love to see what happens when more and more games start to adopt this strategy.  I highly doubt anyone really wants to start paying for maintenance patches.

#45 Bachus

Bachus

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

View Posttthiel, on August 16th 2006, 06:30 PM, said:

Why is it "unacceptable"?  This is an old game, it takes a fair amount of work to do this, and I seriously doubt MacSoft is doing much more than covering their costs.  How anyone considers this a "patch" is beyond me.

You don't charge for patches. Period. It would be one thing to update a game like Deus Ex and make it a universal binary. Halo isn't that old. And I'll bet almost anything it's one of MacSoft's best selling games, that it still sells, and that releasing a UB will cause them to sell a few more copies.

And it *is* a patch. There's some bug fixes and some architecture changes. If you want to go from 1.whatever to 2.0 and *charge* for it I better see some new features. Maps, weapons, enemies, whatever. Going from Xcode 1.5 (or god forbid Codewarrior, it's their own damn fault if they were using that) to Xcode 2.3 is not a feature. Removing endian swaps from i386 to ppc so that it'll run on i386 again is not a feature. Making it an app bundle is nice (and a great way to bloat your patch size, and may even be *why* they're charging $5) but again, not a feature.

#46 Nookster

Nookster

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

gbafan, a precedent indeed.

This is the most interesting twist in the micro-transactions world I've seen yet. If 360 owners had to pony up to play their oldies, that would have made for a few entertaining paragraphs in the gaming press.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

What IS the Intel Mac owner's tolerance limit? Paid UBs for new games, paid UBs for 10 year old games, or just paid UBs of 3 year old conversions of 5 year old console launch titles. At least in this instance the PPC version works OK, more or less.

Add this to the pile of compelling reasons to restart and hold down the option key.

Ironically, you can get a hold of a used copy Xbox Halo for around 5 dollars.
Ironing his Moschino's...

#47 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

This topic is now locked.

The childish finger pointing will stop.

Do not make a new post about this issue, or it will be promptly deleted.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester