254 replies to this topic

#1 Cain

Cain

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

Never thought it would happen because of Havok. This is a good day indeed!

#2 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:11 AM

Yes! Woo hoo! DRINK'S ALL AROUND!
I Can't Feel My Torso – Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#3 Kimi

Kimi

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:22 AM

All I can say is meh. A big name title that sucks. Played it when the PC version came out, and I've not played it much more that that. I was very disappointed.

Why can't they go after a good game like Dawn of War?

#4 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:59 AM

Care to elaborate what "sucked" about it? I've played it, and enjoy it just as much if not more than the the second game in the series.

#5 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:05 AM

View PostKimi, on August 9th 2006, 12:22 PM, said:

All I can say is meh. A big name title that sucks. Played it when the PC version came out, and I've not played it much more that that. I was very disappointed.

Why can't they go after a good game like Dawn of War?

Dawn of War isn't a huge name like the Empires series has been on the Mac, and besides, Empire III averages 82% on gamerankings, so what exactly sucked about it?

#6 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:14 AM

Interesting.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#7 sleyes

sleyes

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

Good game, bad game.... opinions vary but the important thing is that it is a AAA title on the PC that _looked_ like it would never make it to the Mac. I gave up even hoping for this one after reading comments here about Havoc porting impossibilities, the upcoming death of Mac gaming, etc, etc... Just from a purely emotional standpoint, I'm THRILLED that this is coming out, and soon, too!

The only game I had to look forward to was Imperial Glory, and god knows when (or if) that will ever ship (methinks it was scheduled for "second quarter" 2006). I hope MacSoft can hold their deadline!

#8 2112

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:43 PM

1) It's nice that MacSoft has finally come up with a new title, better yet, it's AOEIII.
2) Even better is that they managed to replace Havok with Aegia, I wonder what this means for other games (Deus Ex 2 comes to mind).

#9 Kimi

Kimi

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:56 PM

I didn't like it. Gameplay didn't do it for me mostly. The hometown system was boring IMO, didn't like it too much; the style of warfar in the time period was static lines shooting each other, which don't interest me eaither. I guess other people will like it, it just didn't fit my personal preference.

People said we wouldn't see this as the Havok physics engine or something, does this mean we get other games that use Havok now? (Does Dawn of War use it?)

EDIT: What will this run like on the G5? I can't see it running to good on the iMacs, the graphics holding it back as this game does look good.

#10 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:31 PM

Your G5 should be able to run it fine, so long as you've got plenty of RAM inside. The G5 iMacs...... I doubt. Maybe with some of the settings turned down (or off) but I play AoE3 on the Intel iMacs in Windows without any problems. Again, enough RAM will be a big issue.

#11 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:44 PM

View PostBlackshawk, on August 9th 2006, 02:31 PM, said:

The G5 iMacs...... I doubt.

Is this game that much of a beast? If I can play Doom 3, I'd expect AoE3 to run fine.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#12 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:34 PM

I just can't say for sure. But AoE3 has a ton of special effects going on. The physics engine is really good, and since we don't have PPU's yet that will eat up CPU power. Not to mention the bloom lighting, pixel shading, HDR, and the beautiful 3D models and textures it uses. That, coupled with the fact that there is the possibility of 1600 possible units in a game........ It is very graphics intensive; just look at the screenshots and you'll see all the lush detail in it.

Again, if some of the bells and whistles are variable, the iMac G5 should be able to pull it off.

#13 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:49 AM

View Post2112, on August 9th 2006, 02:43 PM, said:

1) It's nice that MacSoft has finally come up with a new title, better yet, it's AOEIII.
2) Even better is that they managed to replace Havok with Aegia, I wonder what this means for other games (Deus Ex 2 comes to mind).

Depends on how hard it was to strip out Havok, and how hard it would be to do that in others games, but I'd love to see Deus Ex 2 and Oblivion (which I think uses Havok) come to the Mac.

#14 Pooga

Pooga

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

Well that puts a hamper on things. Do I get Imperial Glory…or do I get AoE III?

#15 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:24 AM

the more integral to the gameplay, the more difficult it would be to replace.

Havok in AOE3 is kind of an extra. its more for visual effects. For games such as Half Life 2 where its integral to the gameplay, it would be harder to switch, as youd have to get the right feel in the physics...

I remember people complaining about Havok in Halo 2, saying it felt spongier than the physics in Halo... So its hard to get right.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#16 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

View PostPooga, on August 10th 2006, 12:03 PM, said:

Do I get Imperial Glory…or do I get AoE III?

Your logic gates are faulty.  You're using OR, but this is clearly an AND situation.  :)  

--Eric

#17 Pooga

Pooga

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:17 PM

View PostEric5h5, on August 10th 2006, 11:08 AM, said:

Your logic gates are faulty.  You're using OR, but this is clearly an AND situation.  :)  

--Eric

Yeah those gates have been a problem for a while, I should get them fixed. You really think that one game doesn't really beat the other?

#18 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:29 AM

theyre both completely different. Its like comparing Myth to Starcraft... Just cant really be done.

IG is basically a Total War clone, while AOE3 is the next step in the AOE franchise. The only this that theyve got in common is that theyre both set at a similar time period.

Ill probably be trying to get both
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#19 Pooga

Pooga

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:37 AM

Oh yeah, that's the other thing. In AoE 3, is the time-period limit the mid-18th century? Meaning, is it stagnant at around the time of the "Lace Wars" (think American Revolution), or does it head into the Napoleonic Era?

#20 Kimi

Kimi

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:22 PM

AoEIII is set in the colonial period. When the settlers were, well, settling. So that would be pre-America Revolution I'd guess, as there's not really an america to have a revolution.