• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JGO

JGO

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:55 PM

Hello All,
     Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently got rid of my last PC leaving me with just my Mac. One of my favorite games on the PC was Battlefield 1942. So naturally I picked it up for the Mac. I am however having preformance issues that I can't explain and was looking for some insight. Any information would be appreciated.

In singleplayer everything works fine, framerates are decent and all works well. The problem is when I go to play multiplayer. In multiplayer mode everything crawls to a halt regardless of the map. When I say crawl I mean from 6 FPS to about 14. What is funny is that the framerate seems to be the same regardless of of the video settings. It seems to be the same from 640x480 with nothing on all the way to 1600x1200 with all the eye candy.

So I guess my question is what could be wrong? Why would the framerate not improve with lower settings, and why are they so bad only when playing online? It is not a latency issue, ping is usually about 60ms. Could this be CPU bound and the action in a multiplayer game slowing it down?

Anyway, any input is appreciated.

Hardware specs:
G4 1.6 ghz in a Quicksilver (Originally 733 so FSB is 133)
1 GB of PC133 RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 64 MB of RAM

;)

#2 simfish

simfish

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:49 PM

I used to have to opposite problem because the single player was very CPU bound on my old G4. I have no idea why multiplayer would be so bad, all I can think of is making sure you have the latest patch (which would be required for online play anyway) and quit anything running in the back ground.

Hopefully someone else will be able to offer more help.

Also I suspect tBC will be moving this post else where

#3 JGO

JGO

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:19 AM

View Postsimfish, on August 6th 2006, 10:49 PM, said:

I used to have to opposite problem because the single player was very CPU bound on my old G4. I have no idea why multiplayer would be so bad, all I can think of is making sure you have the latest patch (which would be required for online play anyway) and quit anything running in the back ground.

Hopefully someone else will be able to offer more help.

If someone knows where to move the thread that is cool. ;)

You know what you mention if funny, because I have read/heard that multiplayer would be less demanding because of the lack of AI as well.  However that doesn't seem to be the case.

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of the multiplayer maps have been modified to include tons of tanks or other things, perhaps this is the reason why.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:16 AM

View Postsimfish, on August 6th 2006, 09:49 PM, said:

Oooooooooooo ... you're a suspicious one aren't you?  Let me put your suspicions to rest, over in the Shooter sub-forum that is.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 JGO

JGO

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:24 PM

Well after overclocking the video card 40% on the GPU and 35% on RAM (I added a fan to the GPU.) it runs quite smooth now.

Overcloking the card that much made a huge difference in the OpenMark test ... score went from 4700 to around 5800  :huh:

#6 simfish

simfish

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:47 PM

I'm still surprised your multiplayer performace was so bad as my old G4 was much slower than your and it ran fine. It was a 1GHz Sonnet upgrade (orginaly gigabit 400MHz so 100MHz bus) 1GB ram, and radeon 9800 Pro. Good to hear your overclock has gone well and nothing has fried :) .

#7 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:34 PM

...yet. 40% over is a lot.

#8 dualg4

dualg4

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:50 AM

Hey,

I have a dual G4 (1.25ghz) with the same GPU and 1 gig ram as well. I checked BF1942 and I had no problems with frame-rate online or in single player with the settings maxed out and at 1280*1024. This is similar to the performance I've had with the game over the last two years.

#9 JGO

JGO

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:03 AM

Maybe there was something odd in my setup most everyone seems to think it should run OK on that kind of hardware.

As for the overclock, I couldn't resist, I started OCing back with a Pentium 75 when it required soldering etc... I was big into the PC OC scene for years even having a few liquid cooled setups etc... and a few 100% overclocks.

So I have a ton of experience there. Only recently when I started to get older did I not want to mess around with hardware so much I got rid of all my PC's moved over to my old Mac and told myself I was going to game on consoles ... well I just couldn't resist the thought of playing BF 1942 again. Hence where I am now.

Frankly I didn't expect the card to OC that well. However Apple/ATI seems to have been VERY conservative with the speeds on these cards.

I reached my limit at about 45% on the GPU (System would just freeze.) and about 40% on the RAM (Textrues even in 2d display had corruption.)

So I set the GPU to a 40% OC (At about 500 Mghz) added an old fan I had to the heatsink for some added peace of mind. Then I clocked the RAM at about 35% (Which is around 390 Mghz) and I ran OpenMark, the GL Extensions tests and played BF 1942 for about a 1/2 hour and didn't have any issues. So I should be good to go.

Needless to say if you have a 9600 pro it probably has a lot more headroom than you would imagine.  :P

#10 muffmangler69

muffmangler69

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

trying to play battlefield 1942 online multiplayer did updates still nothig loaded everything on to game i could had this game on here before and played all rote except one thing new security norton could it be blocking me form playing online .question mark on top right corner says mod not installed. what mod i loaded everytinh on it possible can anyone help. my email is [redacted]

#11 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:30 AM

THE NECRO IS REAL
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

GOG: ipickert55 Add me!

Zeus - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30 Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 RAM

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS Seirra 10.12.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:18 PM

I thought you said you were tired of zombies.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:15 PM

Aww, what the hell? Just a few  thousand more. ;-)
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#14 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:48 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 02 June 2015 - 05:18 PM, said:

I thought you said you were tired of zombies.

You and your stupid memory.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

GOG: ipickert55 Add me!

Zeus - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30 Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 RAM

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS Seirra 10.12.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB