Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:18 PM

If Transgaming had announced Cedega for the Mac, I would have been concerned about the future of "native" Mac games. But the Cider business model is very different from that approach and will only benefit Mac game publishers and Mac gamers. Gamerhood + Cider =  A dream comes true. I will finally be able to play a NEW adventure game on OS X (doesn't the one screenshot look a lot like Ubisoft's/Telltalle's CSI: 3 Dimensions of Murder?) :D
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#62 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:34 PM

View Postwymer100, on August 4th 2006, 01:53 PM, said:

I understand that that there's no upfront costs in Cider. But, there are costs involved in the licensing Cider. Those have to be accounted for when determining the breakeven point for a game. Really, the only cost savings associated with Cider is programming and code support costs. The other costs (licensing, distribution, marketing, other support) are still going to remain, as well as the additional costs of licensing Cider. That said, I think the costs savings would be very large because people are very expensive. I think the Cider technology coupled with Aspyr's new downloadable distribution system will be very nice for Aspyr's bottom-line. I think, ultimately, this technology can only be good for mac gamers.

Agreed. I wonder if Sword of the Stars (published by Aspyr) mentioned elsewhere as a upcoming space conquest sim might be a good condidate for this treatment?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#63 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:31 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on August 4th 2006, 01:34 PM, said:

Agreed. I wonder if Sword of the Stars (published by Aspyr) mentioned elsewhere as a upcoming space conquest sim might be a good condidate for this treatment?

You mean Destineer which Macsoft is a part of.

#64 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:33 AM

View PostMorrigan, on August 4th 2006, 12:38 PM, said:

I'd scratch G3s and G4s from your list of "installed base" because those machines aren't going to run new AAA titles anyway.

That's not an option - my G5 iMac is less than a year old and it plays today's latest AAA titles just fine.

Currently Apple's most expensive Pro series machines with the quickest CPU's and graphics cards are ALL G5 based.

#65 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:49 AM

View PostForrest, on August 5th 2006, 01:33 PM, said:

Currently Apple's most expensive Pro series machines with the quickest CPU's and graphics cards are ALL G5 based.
We'll come back to this on monday...

But you are right: Cider only appeals to a fraction of the installed Macs. These things might have sold like mad in the last quarter, but about 1.3 million Intel Macs aren't a huge market.

And that's why I don't expect a huge "stream" of ciderized games flooding the market in the next months. Cider or not - the Mac gaming market still hasn't much appeal.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#66 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:17 AM

View PostJanichsan, on August 5th 2006, 02:49 PM, said:

We'll come back to this on monday...

But you are right: Cider only appeals to a fraction of the installed Macs. These things might have sold like mad in the last quarter, but about 1.3 million Intel Macs aren't a huge market.

And that's why I don't expect a huge "stream" of ciderized games flooding the market in the next months. Cider or not - the Mac gaming market still hasn't much appeal.

But that is most likely going to change in the next few months/years. As soon as Intel Mac Pros are available and Adobe begins shipping of CS 3, the pro market will flourish again. Most killer apps will be UBs by the end of 2006 (stuff like Lightwave 9 is shipping soon, all Extensis apps are UB now, XPress 7, etc.)

These Pro Macs will run the new AAA titles just fine, and iMacs and MacBook Pros will soon get the Merom chips and maybe better GFX-cards as well. And the new Mac minis and MacBooks might get the new generation of integrated Intel crap, which is finally Shader-capable.

If Apple ships 10 million Intel Macs by the end of 2006 the market is actually bigger than those of the PSP or the 360 (in sheer numbers, we all know only a fraction of them is actually playing games). If there are 2 or 3 million Intel Mac users are active players, there's a good chance for a title like Oblivion or Half-Life 2 to sell enough copies to make a profit from the Mac market. And that's all the publishers care about. I guess the Cider-approach is a very cost-effective solution for publishers, and who wouldn't want some extra cash for a minor effort?
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#67 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:54 PM

I'm still skeptical about those new intel graphics chips until they come out and they get decent performance in current games. But it does look OK on paper. http://guides.macrumors.com/GMA_X3000 Another thing is it's not just performance that older intel integrated graphics lacked but also compatibility. For example even if you played an older game that runs good framerate wise it might not be compatible with a certain feature that can cause something like water or lighting to break.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#68 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

View Postkingarthur_kom, on August 4th 2006, 04:31 PM, said:

You mean Destineer which Macsoft is a part of.

Err, yes of course. I, uh, .......

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#69 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:10 AM

View PostJanichsan, on August 4th 2006, 02:39 AM, said:

I might be more enthusiastic if we had some information which "top tier video game publishers" we are talking about.

Maybe it's not Halo 2 that MacSoft was going to and then forgot to announce, maybe they were porting one Total War title with Cider and then got broadsided by Total War: Eras and just had to do the whole lot!

#70 Kees

Kees

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:01 AM

View PostForrest, on August 4th 2006, 10:37 AM, said:

How is this technology going to help the huge installed base of G3, G4 and G5 computers? There's a hell of a lot more PPC machines running OSX than there are Intel based Macs.

about 90% of which are too slow to run Half-Life 3 or whatever future tittles we are talking about anyway. It won't be too much longer before, due to sys requirements, it stops making sense for even Aspyr and other traditional porting houses to do PPC ports, so personally, I don't think that'll matter much.
And I don't even own an Macintel yet.

#71 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:26 AM

My dream has always been for Mac and PC versions to ship in the same box from the original publisher.  It's not that I don't respect what Aspyr, Macsoft, and the like are doing, I just want to be on par with the PC side.  It could have secondary advantages as well over the traditional porting model.  Since the Mac version would ship in the same box as the PC version, technologies like Gamespy and havok may not require an expensive extra license.  If cider does actually work as advertised, this is one piece of technology I wouldn't be opposed to Apple acquiring.  Cider could be a complete failure or the biggest thing to ever happen to Mac gaming.  I'm guarded, but optimistic.