4 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:12 AM

With Quake 4 version 1.3 point release just days away from PC release, with a Mac patch coming along as well, Planet Quake 4 looks at the latest update for the Sci-fi action shooter.

To design the game's new content, id Software contracted Ritual Entertainment, a company whose history with QUAKE goes all the way back to the first Quake 1 mission pack. Ritual is responsible for both new gametype and many of the new maps. The patch is much more than anyone could ask for in a free game update. During our visit to id Software's headquarters in early July, PlanetQuake4.net had the opportunity to play a test build of the 1.3 Point Release.

Instead of including an adaptation of a previously known game type such as CTF, Quake 4 1.3 includes an original gametype named Deadzone. The Deadzone gametype isn't a mod such as Quake III Arena's mission pack "Team Arena" was, but rather an additional gametype built into Quake4's executable. Ten maps include this gametype as an option, three of which are adaptations of already included CTF and DM maps. Level designers will have no problems adapting their maps to include the features needed to play a Deadzone game...
Please follow the links below to learn more information.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:43 AM

Sounds like a great update--enough to make me buy the game even! Deadzone sounds like a cross between King of the Hill and Domination.

(But what I find really odd is how Quake 4's multi player maps look graphically the same or even WORSE than 2-year-old UT2004, in terms of detail, geometry, and lighting/shadows. Why? Doom 3 looks graphically better than UT2004, and so does Q4 single-player.)

#3 $p4rX

$p4rX

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

View Postnagromme, on August 1st 2006, 05:43 PM, said:

(But what I find really odd is how Quake 4's multi player maps look graphically the same or even WORSE than 2-year-old UT2004, in terms of detail, geometry, and lighting/shadows. Why? Doom 3 looks graphically better than UT2004, and so does Q4 single-player.)

I have both, trust me the graphics on MP look pretty amazing, don't trust the screenshots, buy it and see for youself. I can't wait for this update though, the buy mode feature, which isn't mentioned here, will certainly attract a lot of new players to the game.. Anyone thought of making a mac clan for Q4?

#4 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

I'm in a Mac Q4 clan :)

Actually, I'm in a Mac sci-fi vehicles clan... but I think Q4 qualifies once more of us own it!

(Are there any MP maps with vehicles in them? I know they are pretty rare in the SP campaign.)

I'll probably get both Doom 3 and Q4... eventually.

#5 $p4rX

$p4rX

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:46 AM

No sorry, there are no maps with vehicles to my knowledge, the maps I see, are often small and indoor and quite complex. I'm sure they'll add some maps with vehicles in the future in an update or something. Unless their intentions are otherwise. You should still get the game though, the weapons are fun, and buy mode looks awesome.

PlanetQuake4.net said:

In addition to the Deadzone gametype, Quake 4 1.3 adds the server side option named "Buy Mode". "Buy Mode", which can be enabled inside any Quake 4 map, removes weapons, ammo, and armor from the map. You spawn into the map with a pre-set amount of points (1000 by default) with which you can buy weapons, ammo, armor, and health. By default, the letter "b" is bound to make the Buy Menu appear. Once you choose to open the Buy Menu, an entire list of items you are able to buy appears. Items, which you cannot afford, are faded out. If you choose a weapon for example, ammo must also be purchased along with that weapon. This "Buy Mode", just as Deadzone, has its own special strategy. Players must decide if it is a better strategy to buy armor instead of more powerful weapons or to accumulate a higher amount of points to buy more a powerful weapons instead. Many associate the buying of items with Counter-Strike, but this Quake 4 gametype is nothing like it. You can be in the heat of a battle and have saved up enough points for that rocket launcher or railgun you desperately need. That's right, all items can be bought any time during the course of the game, just as long as you can afford them. Even after dying, your weapon will still be there.