Jump to content


I made the switch!


  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:52 AM

View PostSpace_Pirate_Killer, on September 22nd 2006, 05:33 AM, said:

If you know anything at all about the Tomatoforum, you won't want him too. :happy:

I don't suppose this has anything to do with the "restroom"?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#62 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:35 AM

View PostPegasus, on September 21st 2006, 10:59 PM, said:

Well, so far I've really been enjoying it. I've been playing a good bit of Pirates! and Stronghold 2, which are very fun. I've also dabbled a bit with SW Empire at War and GalCiv2, but I haven't delved all that much into them yet.

Oh, and I've tested the demos of Prey and The Movies. Awesome! The former is especially nice, but I think I can wait until the price drops, since I have a bunch of older (and ridiculously cheap) games coming in the mail.

Suddenly having all of those Windoze-only games to choose from is a liberating experience. And while I agree that there is a lot of crap out there, there are gems that never will make it into native Mac gaming.

#63 Stecchino

Stecchino

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Location:Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:24 AM

View PostHuntn, on September 22nd 2006, 09:35 AM, said:

Suddenly having all of those Windoze-only games to choose from is a liberating experience. And while I agree that there is a lot of crap out there, there are gems that never will make it into native Mac gaming.

Liberating indeed.

#64 Atticus

Atticus

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Location:Sternum's Ribcage

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:03 AM

I bought Prey, HL2, and F.E.A.R., and after a weekend of gaming, all the eye candy has turned my brain into a jiggling, quivering mass of Jell-O ™. I'm even trying out the Company of Heroes demo, and I'm not an RTS guy at all.

Liberating indeed.

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#65 Stecchino

Stecchino

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Location:Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:27 AM

View PostAtticus, on September 25th 2006, 10:03 AM, said:

...I'm even trying out the Company of Heroes demo, and I'm not an RTS guy at all...

Ooh, ooh, post how CoH performs for you in this thread when you get a chance:

http://www.insidemac...showtopic=27402

#66 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Location:Dubuque, Iowa USA

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:47 AM

To be honest, I've considered doing the same thing.  Steve Jobs are myself argee on the operating system, but have vastly different views on what a desktop should be.  Apple is becoming much more the Tommy Hilfigger of computers than the practical computer maker I knew.  Most of the current designs are laptop based with style being the most important aspect of their design than than practicality.  When I got my B&W G3, I got a practical tower desktop that was stylish.  I can't get such a model these days unless I want to pay major money for a professional workstation.  Macs are getting increasingly hard to find outside the major metros as well.

#67 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

    Uberspewer

  • IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Location:The Republic of Soviet Canukistan
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:21 AM

View PostBenRoethig, on September 26th 2006, 12:47 PM, said:

To be honest, I've considered doing the same thing.  Steve Jobs are myself argee on the operating system, but have vastly different views on what a desktop should be.  Apple is becoming much more the Tommy Hilfigger of computers than the practical computer maker I knew.  Most of the current designs are laptop based with style being the most important aspect of their design than than practicality.  When I got my B&W G3, I got a practical tower desktop that was stylish.  I can't get such a model these days unless I want to pay major money for a professional workstation.  Macs are getting increasingly hard to find outside the major metros as well.


I had a G4 tower that served me very well for four years. When the motherboard died last year, it would have cost $900 (Canadian) to fix, which was not worth it for a four year old computer at all. So I had to figure out what to replace it with. I had considered going to a laptop, but knowing that the Intel laptops were as little as three months away meant that I didn't want to buy one of those, and paying ~$3000 for a G5 knowing that they would transition within a year and a half at most didn't seem appealing.

So I figured I could save a few bucks by building a PC myself. I spent around $1300 for something that was as good as the G5s of the time, but built exactly to my specs. I'm enough of a dork that I enjoyed the shopping around and building of the thing as well.

I definitely like Macs a lot more for the user experience, and the new Mac Pros are well suited to my needs, so I'll be back on the platform in the not-so-far future. I don't think I'll give up the PC though - the customization is a great perk, even when I'll have access to the great Windows games on my rev. X Mac Pro.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64