66 replies to this topic

#21 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:54 PM

Why wont 3 gigs run in dual channel? if you have two 1gb sticks and two 512mb stick?

and the amount of ram you need is very very dependant on what you need to do. 1gb is a good minimum even for web browsing and generalised home computing. But 2Gb is fast becoming a necessity if you do anything vaguely heavy. And if you do media editing, then really you want as much RAM as you can possibly get.

Id say that the X1600XT has merit, as its not too expensive, and means that when the next generation of cards come out in a few months time, he can simply upgrade to a DX10 card and get all that goodness.

cant comment about the CPU as im not up on how they work. But it seems that their performance rating is fast getting out of date as Intel moves to new cores which dont rely on pure Mhz.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#22 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

View PostBrtnboarder495, on August 6th 2006, 03:11 PM, said:

Bad decision ...

-3 Gigs of ram won't run in dual channel, and anything over 2 Gigs is absurd and not needed.
-X1600XT>X800XL, in other words it sucks for a "high end" setup.  Should have gotten an X1800XT at the lowest.
- X2 4200+ has only 2x512k of L2 cache, should of went with the Opteron 165 and OC'd it or the x2 4000+ or the x2 4400+
Welcome aboard Brtnboarder495! I don't post much anymore on here but I sometimes check in. I just wanted to reply to what you think is my "Bad decision". First off I use Photoshop professionally. If I could afford more ram I would. The 3 gigs I have installed now is installed exactly as teflon stated. So yes I am running duel channel.

The X1600XT may seem like a better choice being its newer than the X800XL but when it comes to playing last generation games (Half Life 2, BF2, Doom 3) the benchmarks don't lie. The X800 out performs the X1600XT in all avenues. However when 3.0 shaders become the norm. Ill upgrade then. So far I am very happy running 60 to 90+ FPS on BF2 and HL2 with everything maxed out. In time I am sure the X1600XT will beat the X800XL but by then Ill be buying a new card anyways :)

As for the CPU I guess your right. However the tower by itself I only paid 900 bones for. If you want to see the specs look for an HP m7330n. Can I change the CPU yes. Do I need to? No. Even if I did I would go for an FX-60. Once again why? This does what I need and it does it very well. It runs Photoshop like a bat out of hell and I can play any game on the market darn near its maximum settings. I think anything "more" would be over kill. Dont you?
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#23 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:55 AM

Don't listen about the CPU. The extra cache makes little difference, and you can probably still overclock about as much as you could want.

#24 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:17 AM

After considering this thread I'm surprised that anyone would switch over to Windows for Photoshop. For the programs that run on the Mac, MacOSX is simply wonderful. I suspect the primary incentive for the switch are Windows gaming opportunities, the thought process being if I'm gonna do Windows then I'm really gonna do Windows. If using WinXP, give him a year. ;) Three months into (me) owning a WinXP machine, under warranty,  one hick up  and the tech states "we can easily correct this with a clean install"! Maybe Vista is a different story.

#25 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

I wonder if Mail Man read the WWDC news today and felt a twinge of regret?  ;)

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#26 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

Think he had $2,500 to spend? :mellow:

#27 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:07 AM

Overclocking an Opty is only really good on a DFI board (where you can squeeze out every mhz you can), not some HP.

And ATI is crap all around ;) nVidia is where it's at.

I wonder if Mail Man read the WWDC news today and felt a twinge of regret?
The news at WWDC only solidified my desire to build a gaming-only PC. I will not spend that much (even for the lowest BTO option) for a new mac just to play a handful of games on it. My current mac does everything I want that isn't gaming, and its 5 years old. The only reason I would WANT to upgrade, is for games. And 2500 minimum??? LOL No way in hell.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#28 macmanZ

macmanZ

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:31 AM

If you go dual 2ghz I think it's 2200 instead.  ;)

#29 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

View PostmacmanZ, on August 8th 2006, 09:31 AM, said:

If you go dual 2ghz I think it's 2200 instead.  ;)

Yeah, $300 difference in price for $700 difference in cost (in lots of 1000). I'm not sure who's winning more, here, the people who think they're getting a steal by spending 'less' for an upgrade, or the people who're laughing all the way to the bank.

#30 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:54 AM

View PostFrigidman, on August 8th 2006, 09:07 AM, said:

Overclocking an Opty is only really good on a DFI board (where you can squeeze out every mhz you can), not some HP.

And ATI is crap all around ;) nVidia is where it's at.
But of course... then again, you may want a look at the 'GDDR4' thread in OT.

:whistling:  :)

#31 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:17 PM

View PostThe Mail Man, on August 6th 2006, 09:54 PM, said:

The X1600XT may seem like a better choice being its newer than the X800XL but when it comes to playing last generation games (Half Life 2, BF2, Doom 3) the benchmarks don't lie. The X800 out performs the X1600XT in all avenues. However when 3.0 shaders become the norm. Ill upgrade then. So far I am very happy running 60 to 90+ FPS on BF2 and HL2 with everything maxed out. In time I am sure the X1600XT will beat the X800XL but by then Ill be buying a new card anyways :)

X1600 sounds okay but I still don't know if it's good enough for some other games coming out soon. My family was planning on buying a more recent PC and I was thinking if it's good to go with a X700 or X1600. Knowing that I not only need one for HL2 but I also need one for Onimusha 3, Devil May Cry 3, Neverwinter Nights 2, and a imported copy of Miko Miko Nurse when nobody is looking around. :devil:
What is a man?

#32 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:46 AM

I use my Mac partition for work, and my XP partition for games. The last Mac game I bought was CoD2, but in that time I've purchased ... 8 PC games. Damn. :blink:

Anyway I think I'm enjoying the best of both worlds. It's like living in two countries simultaneously.

#33 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:16 AM

I just ordered the quad 2.66 with 2GB and X1900, along with a copy of XP Pro and HL2 Game of the Year Edition.  :D

(does happy dance)

My social life is officially over.

Atticus

View PostTomatocow, on September 8th 2006, 06:46 AM, said:

I use my Mac partition for work, and my XP partition for games. The last Mac game I bought was CoD2, but in that time I've purchased ... 8 PC games. Damn. :blink:

Anyway I think I'm enjoying the best of both worlds. It's like living in two countries simultaneously.

#34 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:52 PM

View PostAtticus, on September 8th 2006, 11:16 PM, said:

I just ordered the quad 2.66 with 2GB and X1900, along with a copy of XP Pro and HL2 Game of the Year Edition.  :D

(does happy dance)

My social life is officially over.

Atticus

I don't know if you needed XP Pro (I have XP Home and it's fine and dandy), but hey all is good. :D

#35 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

View PostTomatocow, on September 8th 2006, 12:52 PM, said:

I don't know if you needed XP Pro

To use the second CPU you do. Home might still work on the one, though. MCE would probably be a better/cheaper choice.

#36 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

I need Pro for the Remote Desktop functionality (I telecommute from home).

Atticus
Who works while wearing nothing but his thong underwear

View PostTomatocow, on September 8th 2006, 07:52 PM, said:

I don't know if you needed XP Pro (I have XP Home and it's fine and dandy), but hey all is good. :D

#37 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:58 PM

Ah the second cpu thingy. How much more $ is Pro?

#38 Mattg

Mattg

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

I made the "switch" from Mac to Pc two years ago. The reason...Far Cry. Since then I've placed the full Adobe CS2 suite on it, Maya Unlimited (Thanks student discount!), Macromedia's wonderful Dreamweaver and Flash Professional, as well as a host of other assorted programs. I've played plenty of games on it of course, among them FEAR and Half Life 2. I've been happy with XP, and in many cases wondering why in the hell, among other things, Apple doesn't do something useful with that worthless "Dock"--FTFF right?

Thus you can imagine my willingness when I started my media designer job to get that core duo 2 desktop out of the box and loaded up as fast as possible.

And then, weeks later, at 2 A.M. in Milwaukee, as I fought tooth and nail with my stupid PC to put the finishing touches on a corporate video, I had an epiphany...I want my Mac back.

You see, I've learned something important--my PC is fine for the easy stuff, Photoshop and web design, but when it comes to actually stressing your machine with heavy duty network rendering and video editing, Mac's are a better fit.

So when my manager approached me for purchasing requests, I had no problem asking for a new quad core Intel MacPro--and I'm getting it : )

I'm glad you enjoy the PC, as I certainly enjoy mine, but it seems as if the biggest draw for me is the ability to play cool games. Thing is, when you consider the 'Next Gen' hardware like the xBox360 and PS3, it makes me think one of those pieces of hardware might be the best way to go for that type of activity. I guess the real test will come in a year or two when my current PC needs replacing. Who knows, my next 'PC' may be a new Mac.

#39 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:24 AM

View PostTomatocow, on September 8th 2006, 03:58 PM, said:

How much more $ is Pro?

You know Akihabara better than us ;)

Newegg has MCE OEM for $20 more, Pro OEM for $30 on top of that.

#40 WhiteSavage

WhiteSavage

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:31 AM

What is this Devil-talk?