66 replies to this topic

#1 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:54 PM

Well guys its been fun! Almost two decades on an Apple. Oregon Trail was my first RPG. I broke my FPS cherry on a 6500/300 with that beautiful goddess we call Quake. Hundreds of ours listening to Johnny Cash all the while fighting the Nazis in COD. Hell I met my wife through a G4/400 in a chat room. Iv been everywhere man!

Now the switch. Apple to Intel? Confusion had set in my simple mind with this news. How could this be? All my years of trash talking and PC smack downs in every FPS made for that little box of knowledge we know as Mac is now debunked.

Well Iv never been one to half ass anything. Iv gone all out PC. None of this "Intel Apple" crap. I want the real deal. Viruses, Trojan Horses, Spyware and everything else that comes with an x86. I bought an HP Media Center with a AMD 4200+ CPU, 3 gigs of ram and an 256meg ATI X800 XL with a ton of other crap Ill never use for 1200 bucks! The results you ask? I can run Battle Field 2, Prey, COD2, Quake 4, FEAR, HL2, Doom 3 at ANY given setting with no slow down! Thats right folks everything on High! BF2 was worth the switch alone Im afraid.

The only thing the switch has cost me is my pride and my marriage if my wife catches me one more time at 3am playing BF2. I haven't had one virus, trojan horse or anything they try to scare you with. I have "Windows Onecare" and haven't had one issue. Photoshop runs like a dream. Games run like a dream. Bottom line is I am personally happy with my PC and Windows. So long Apple. It was good while it lasted until you cheated on me. Its time to move on. Im switching to PC. Take your "iClothes" and iToothbrush" and get the hell out of my house!  :angry:
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#2 simfish

simfish

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:19 PM

I did the sme thing last year and it lasted about 5 month before I sold my PC for parts and bought a MacBook Pro. For the first week I thought wow this virus and spywear threat is BullS@%T, I had the virus scanner updates every day and spywear scans about as regually. After two weeks things started getting slower and slower until alt tabbing out of a game that was instant when it was brand new took two minutes.

So long story short after 5 months of using Windows with fully a uptodate Virus scanner constantly on, I scanned the Disk two month later from Windows on my MBP and there were 3233 undetected viruses :blink: .

But if you have windows XP 32 bit you maybe fine as I had XP x64 edition thinking it would be a good move getting a 64 bit operating system to go with a 64 processor but I was very wrong.

My system was very fast though I have to admit, every game but FEAR I tried I could play at or almost at max settings, AMD 3800+, 3GB ram, 3x 250 SATA Harddrives, and a Radeon x800 Bravo 256MB. But my MBP plays HL2 and BF2 at the same settings when in windows and I can't tell the differnce.

So good luck with your move and I hope it ends up a better experience than mine was.

#3 macmanZ

macmanZ

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:21 PM

Have fun sir, atleast you're still gaming.

No spreadsheets for you. ;)

#4 Goldibus

Goldibus

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:33 PM

Seriously, if you feel PC is the best for what you do, I say go for it, having a Macintel, I'm constantly using both OSX and XP and don't mind using either, and no it doesn’t "pain" me to use XP. Like any OS it has it good points and bad points. I’m closely looking at XPS 700 and if Apple doesn’t deliver with the Mac Pro (SLI, hello!), then "Dude, I'm getting a Dell” or put together my own comparable PC.

#5 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:08 PM

View PostGoldibus, on July 26th 2006, 12:33 AM, said:

Seriously, if you feel PC is the best for what you do, I say go for it, having a Macintel, I'm constantly using both OSX and XP and don't mind using either, and no it doesn’t "pain" me to use XP. Like any OS it has it good points and bad points. I’m closely looking at XPS 700 and if Apple doesn’t deliver with the Mac Pro (SLI, hello!), then "Dude, I'm getting a Dell” or put together my own comparable PC.

Yes XP has good points and bad points like any other OS. Its just that it has about 50 times as many bad points as other OSes.

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:06 AM

View PostThe Mail Man, on July 25th 2006, 08:54 PM, said:

The only thing the switch has cost me is my pride and my marriage if my wife catches me one more time at 3am playing BF2.
Wives are a dime a dozen but a really great game that captures your imagination is a thing of priceless value.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:58 AM

Now just wait until your wife reads that. :P
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#8 reallynotnick

reallynotnick

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:01 AM

^Well that makes a great sig!

I have though of doing what you have done befor but I always come to the same conclusion. Consoles are better for gaming.
Ok, ok I know they don't have a mouse or SUPER high end graphics. But for there price and the selection of games they have they waste a PC. Not to mention they are easy to up keep.

I plan to buy a 360 some time this year hopefully, as long as there is a price drop or some sort of deal and continue to use my Mac for productive things and free games + loads of games.

#9 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:39 PM

View PostPegasus, on July 26th 2006, 11:58 AM, said:

My old lady dont do no book learnin. Shes a good girl. She jus cook n' watches after dem chillren. Our Ma said we wuz meant to be hitched ya know? Heck if I had to marry my sis again I surely would! She's a good smoocher!  :D
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:45 PM

View PostPegasus, on July 26th 2006, 08:58 AM, said:

:unsure:  You wouldn't fink on me would you??

Mail Man, did you keep your old Mac or did you sell it?  If you kept it, you are probably leaving the door open to return to it, like a dog to its vomit.  By the way, I got news for you.  The last time you thought you smooched your sister you smooched the back of my head while I was smooching her.  If she would just shave then confusing moments like that could be avoided.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:31 PM

speaking of smooching the backs of heads. I saw this guy on the tube yesterday with a single really fat roll on the back of his head... now if you saw that, then youd look before you smooch in future...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#12 Aika

Aika

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:57 AM

View PostThe Mail Man, on July 26th 2006, 04:54 AM, said:

Bottom line is I am personally happy with my PC and Windows.

Honeymoon period :P
iMac late 2013

#13 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:05 AM

View PostAika, on July 27th 2006, 04:57 AM, said:

Honeymoon period :P

Agreed. PCs by virtue of developers writing to them are a better platform for games, but that is it. I've had a PC for 5 years, but I'm still using my Mac for everything important. Although my PC has been good for the last year, I've had several significant events on it which keep me from trusting it for anything other than games.

#14 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

View PostThe Mail Man, on July 25th 2006, 11:54 PM, said:

Well guys its been fun! Almost two decades on an Apple.... Now the switch.

given that apple is about to announce MacIntel towers and are clearly interested in expanding their user base with a certain amount of agression, i think you are completely insane to not have at least waited to see what configurations and pricing they had to offer before taking the leap of no return.

dual-boot for gaming and virtualization for those rare productivity apps or incompatible websites has been a dream come true for me.

anyway, have fun.

#15 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:12 AM

View Posthambone, on July 27th 2006, 03:14 PM, said:

i think you are completely insane to not have at least waited to see what configurations and pricing they had to offer before taking the leap of no return.

As I read this I'm looking at The Mail Man's avatar, it fits... :D

#16 opmdude

opmdude

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:10 AM

i bought a pc  like a year ago to ... lasted for like 6 months , then saved up for a mac , and bought a macbookpro beginning this year :) ,  
You will come back crying!!!!

#17 reallynotnick

reallynotnick

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:21 PM

View PostHuntn, on July 28th 2006, 09:12 AM, said:

As I read this I'm looking at The Mail Man's avatar, it fits... :D

Holy crap what resolution is your screen? *scrolls up and down*

#18 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:25 AM

Bye, The Mail Man. Come visit us occasionally. That screaming face will be missed.

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#19 Brtnboarder495

Brtnboarder495

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

Bad decision ...

-3 Gigs of ram won't run in dual channel, and anything over 2 Gigs is absurd and not needed.
-X1600XT>X800XL, in other words it sucks for a "high end" setup.  Should have gotten an X1800XT at the lowest.
- X2 4200+ has only 2x512k of L2 cache, should of went with the Opteron 165 and OC'd it or the x2 4000+ or the x2 4400+

#20 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:24 PM

Ha! 3 gigs over 2 gigs makes a very good difference!
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.