#41 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:32 AM

View Postmindnoise, on August 11th 2006, 03:01 AM, said:

this is the first thread I saw the CODE box used to some extend.

Which raises the question: do we need the CODE box?

If no you could just exchange it for the RANT box.
You missed the final point Frigidman made about us not changing anything.  Besides the CODE tag is much more valuable than a RANT tag which can be depicted with fake tags.  The CODE tag has complex coding that will let you display any kind of code from BB Code to C++ to PHP without the forum system attempting to execute it.  The CODE tag is built into the system with deep roots.  To swap it out would be folly.  Finally, it has been used in the past and to turn it into a RANT tag will destroy the past uses of it, most notably the BB Code that has been displayed in a CODE tag.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#42 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:28 AM

Well, it turns out the administration has a section to create your own custom BBcode elements.

But I don't want to see any abuse of this feature, cause it will really piss me off to no end if it gets out of hand!!!! /Rant

tBC, can fiddle with the rant tag to make it fit better... I just threw something together.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#43 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:58 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on August 11th 2006, 06:32 AM, said:

You missed the final point Frigidman made about us not changing anything.  Besides the CODE tag is much more valuable than a RANT tag which can be depicted with fake tags.  The CODE tag has complex coding that will let you display any kind of code from BB Code to C++ to PHP without the forum system attempting to execute it.  The CODE tag is built into the system with deep roots.  To swap it out would be folly.  Finally, it has been used in the past and to turn it into a RANT tag will destroy the past uses of it, most notably the BB Code that has been displayed in a CODE tag.

HI, I got the feeling that this one will be misunderstood but somehow did not choose to delete this
one.   :o
What I missed to make clear: I miss the CODE box as much as the RANT box: Not at all.

All I said was: it´s up to the the user to make himself clear, not the admin to take care of it.

So I totally conform to tBC´s and Frigidman´s reply above.

regs

[Edit - Sorry, I misunderstood your take on the rant box, I understand now - tBC]
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#44 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:19 PM

View PostFrigidman, on August 11th 2006, 09:28 AM, said:

Well, it turns out the administration has a section to create your own custom BBcode elements.

But I don't want to see any abuse of this feature, cause it will really piss me off to no end if it gets out of hand!!!! /Rant

tBC, can fiddle with the rant tag to make it fit better... I just threw something together.
The Custom BB Code Manager is what I was talking about when I said I could easily do it but wasn't convinced that it needed done.  If you are OK with this then that's cool.  Didn't think you'd go for it to be honest.  I was trying to make the people who wanted it convince us it was really needed.  For me, the most convincing argument was for the horizontal rule tag.

You did with the rant tag pretty much the same as I would have.  I tend to hesitate to add things like the sarcasm tag etc because from then on one could not be convincingly sarcastic unless it was in the official tag.  People are bound to say "You weren't sarcastic!  It wasn't in the tag" when normally the contest of your statement would have made ones intentions apparent.  I believe this limits free expression rather than enhances it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#45 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:32 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on August 11th 2006, 03:19 PM, said:

People are bound to say "You weren't sarcastic!  It wasn't in the tag" when normally the contest of your statement would have made ones intentions apparent.  I believe this limits free expression rather than enhances it.

You don't have to make a scarcastic tag. I really was asking for a rant tag. It can be a visual warning that it's only a rant, not a personal insult.

and possibly...

Have a user setting to turn off rants, if a certin user does not want to see them.

View PostFrigidman, on August 11th 2006, 11:28 AM, said:

woot! Thanks Frigidman

Microsoft sucks! /Rant

Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#46 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:14 PM

Bah, these tags just make it look like you're really serious and want everyone to read what you're saying and take it to heart! /Rant

Ahem. OK, I must admit the rant tag is kind of cool. One suggestion: I think the rant box should say "RANT" at the top.

I agree with tBC about sarcasm tags. But while we're at it, why not have spoiler tags that make the text the same colour as the background?

#47 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

Like I said... the rant tag was just an example... I put no thought behind it, because honestly, I don't think one is really needed. When people go on rants, they simply should just go on a rant and people will notice normally. I agree it should not be red like I put it, as it makes it stand out too much!

A spoiler tag makes FAR more sense for good use than a rant tag.

And a HR tag... ? hmm... the way the BBCode is setup, you need a start and end tag. It would seem silly to have to do "{hr}{/hr} just to put a line there.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#48 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:01 PM

One thing I hate about DIV tags, is they like to stretch out as wide as they can go. SPAN tags don't, they make nice tidy boxes around the text, but unfortunately do not like when text wraps to a new line... grr.

Spoiler

Hmm.

-Fm [1oM7]

#49 Hapa Hanu

Hapa Hanu

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:18 PM

Different browsers execute DIV callouts in varying ways. Internet Exploder seems to have the most difficulty.

If adding custom features are taking us to where no one has gone before and never come back - we don't have to go there.  ;)

I would hate to see my favourite board juryrigged into a paradox of javascript or similar entangled coding.

The
function is spiffy but unnecessary. I just wanted to see how far I could twist tBC's arm paw.

Isolating rants in their own box is a superb idea as long as it is readily identifible and safely codable.

#50 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:26 AM

View PostHapa Hanu, on August 11th 2006, 08:18 PM, said:

I just wanted to see how far I could twist tBC's arm paw.
Oh!  I get it!  Hahahahahaha... ::tBC uses his good arm paw to pull the lever that opens the trap door and sends Hapa Hanu down the 300 meter splintery wooden chute lined with razor blades and fish hooks into the vat of boiling urine::  And while you're down there, diagram the preceding sentence!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#51 Hapa Hanu

Hapa Hanu

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

:: Humble Hapa Hanu plummets to his grim and distasteful demise ::

AAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

If I am going to diagram sentences I need some light down here to review my English Composition and Grammar Handbook! /Rant

I really like the rant box, but, including the Rant prefix would touch it off splendidly!