Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:42 PM

View PostAlanH, on July 5th 2006, 06:53 AM, said:

I find it remarkable that Civ4 is the first application to have triggered this kind of misbehaviour in these drivers. Is it really more demanding than the real time shooters and so on? And the movie and animation editing suites that have been running on Macs for ages?
It's not necessarily that it's more demanding, it probably just has different driver usage patterns which expose the bug.

#42 dgallina

dgallina

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the response Glenda.  Hopefully a game update can fix the sound-related bugs.

Are you suggesting that the best available macs should be running the game at lowest detail on 1024x768?

That seems kinda low considering that the same physical hardware runs Windows Civ4 faster on BootCamp.

#43 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:47 PM

View PostShadowTech, on June 29th 2006, 12:39 PM, said:

Just a quick question...it's G5/intel only right?

I am pretty sure the game will run on a G4, but you need a good graphics card. iBooks will have a hard time playing the game.
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#44 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:59 PM

Civ 3 update first, please.
Edward

#45 Thinine

Thinine

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

No, Civ3 blows.

#46 dgallina

dgallina

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:24 PM

View PostThinine, on July 4th 2006, 09:04 PM, said:

No, Civ3 blows.

That's not fair IMHO.  I'd like to see a bug patch and universal civ 3 complete update if only to be able to play it better on the hardware that doesn't play Civ 4 very well (which, let's face it, is almost all of it :-)

#47 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:06 PM

View Postdgallina, on July 4th 2006, 10:24 PM, said:

That's not fair IMHO.  I'd like to see a bug patch and universal civ 3 complete update if only to be able to play it better on the hardware that doesn't play Civ 4 very well (which, let's face it, is almost all of it :-)

Yeah. I don't think my machine runs Civ 4 terribly well so I'll stick to three. I just want to hear all the sounds in the game. It does not blow by any means.
Edward

#48 T.F.Bundy

T.F.Bundy

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:24 AM

On a friend's G5 w/9800XT, we got a significant boost when in the ATI Displays preferences' panel, OpenGl overrides were set to: "performance->speed", "FSAA-off" , "Aniso-off" , "Vertical Sync- off."
I haven't tried them on a mac but there is a set of lower res movies for download, has anyone tried them?
http://www.firaxis.c...il.php?gameid=6
They help heaps on a PC...

#49 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:22 AM

View PostAlanH, on July 4th 2006, 01:53 PM, said:

I find it remarkable that Civ4 is the first application to have triggered this kind of misbehaviour in these drivers. Is it really more demanding than the real time shooters and so on? And the movie and animation editing suites that have been running on Macs for ages?
Call of Duty 2 can exhibit the same kernel panics on Intel macs if you push the texture & resolution to max, as will Quake 4.  There is always going to be a bit of a shakedown period for new OS & GL implementations, and the Intel transition is only 6 months old.

One other quick note- if you have any problems with Civ 4 (kernel panics, sound issues, etc) and you are on a minimum spec Mac or better, please send all relevant info to Aspyr support.  Crash logs, system profiles, etc.  It's the quickest way for us to narrow down problems and find a fix.

Thanks
Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#50 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:33 AM

View Postgbafan, on July 4th 2006, 10:30 AM, said:

None of these issues exsist in the PC version on a similar machine spec.  There is something horribily wrong with the Mac port.  Hopefully it will get sorted out soon.

I was just going to suggest a comparison with the PC version of the game in bootcamp...

These days, these kind of issues in a Mac game (Mac port) is not a good thing for native Mac gaming for obvious reasons.

#51 michael miller

michael miller

Fan

• IMG Writers
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:07 PM

It's worth noting that I play it on a Dual 2Ghz G5 with 1.5 gigs of RAM and haven't had any issues at all. I wonder if this under spec and/or Intel related somehow.

#52 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:42 PM

View PostAlanH, on June 30th 2006, 09:25 AM, said:

First report in from someone with a first release G5 iMac, 1.8GHz, min-spec video card (GeForce FX 5200 @ 64MB VRAM) and 2 GBytes of RAM. S/He says it's choppy on a standard map, with sound and video problems, and a crash.

... I was looking forward to this game. I guess I'll wait and see if there is a performance increase a few patches later. A computer thet meets system requirements should be able to play a game without much choppiness.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#53 Beamup

Beamup

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:01 PM

It may be useful or interesting to note that, as soon as I started running in a window, the incessant kernel panics I was having (about every 5 minutes) stopped completely.

So, anyone having kernel panics while running full-screen might want to try going to windowed mode.  Might help, and you can always go back if it doesn't.
Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

#54 seven

seven

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:12 PM

On my iMac G5 2GHz I did a sofware update from os 10.4.6 to 10.4.7 and quicktime 7.1.1 to 7.1.2  right before i got Civ4 - does it run better on os 10.4.6 and quicktime 7.1.1? i'm guessing the game was tested in 10.4.6 and the update is giving problems.

#55 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:51 PM

View PostGlendaAdams, on July 5th 2006, 03:22 PM, said:

Call of Duty 2 can exhibit the same kernel panics on Intel macs if you push the texture & resolution to max, as will Quake 4.  There is always going to be a bit of a shakedown period for new OS & GL implementations, and the Intel transition is only 6 months old.

Thanks for responding Glenda. I guess I just don't visit the places where this kind of problem is aired for CoD2 and Quake 4. I would argue that it's crazy for Firaxis to have used such high demand 3D graphics code for Civ4 as is used for those other games, but I guess Aspyr just have to live with that.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen kernel panics reported by G5 users with hardware that's well above the minimum specs. If so, it's not specific to the Intel transition. Full screen mode seems to be strongly implicated, with kernel panics reducing/eliminated for some users in window mode.

BTW, I'm just an interested observer at this point, as Civ4 seems to need a few weeks to swim the Atlantic :P

#56 sleyes

sleyes

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:25 PM

Update: Finished off my first world game over the weekend. Still had intermittent skipping, lags, really hard to scroll at times. It seems like unit upgrade glows (that blue, glowy thingy) absolutely KILL the video -- scrolls stutter, whether it's me or the machine moving to another part of the screen... takes about a minute for everything to settle down.

Interestingly, I started a new game yesterday -- the American Revolution, in honor of the day (and all the History Channel specials running) -- and it seems much smoother. Could be map size, i guess, or fewer units, or jut less complicated. I still don't see much of anything when units fight (they DO point their rifles at each other, and I sometimes (about hlaf the time) see them die, but no sound). And why do all the "regular" units (continental and british) stand around with their arms and legs spread out, like they're caught in mid-jumping-jack mode? It's like the game "defaults" the unit to their raw model, without posing them, unless they're specifically doing something at that moment (running, fighting, fortifying).

And is anyone else bothered by this games interface? I know, I know, its "PC"-ish, but it just seems like they (Firaxis) abandoned EVERYTHING convenient about CivIII. Those tiny "advisor" buttons are almost too small to hit with the mouse... and why call them "Advisors" anyway, they're just crappy little status charts. I miss the lunkheaded Military Advisor character from CivIII (he always looked pissed at me for not having enough units... "Let's build Cavalry!"). Heck, the Main characters, while rendered beautifully, don't even update over time like they used to... it's dosconcerting to be talking to Cleopatra in the modern era when she's still dressed like an ancient.

I think the game developers need to remember: Just because you CAN change a thing, it doesn't mean you SHOULD.

#57 DoctorGonzo

DoctorGonzo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:39 PM

I'm thrilled with the game so far. My 20" iMac Core Duo is running it very smoothly with no performance issues and only some minor sound glitches now and then.

I'm of the "Civ 3 threw out all of the advances of Alpha Centauri" camp, so for me this is the first "proper" sequel to Civ 2. I've been waiting forever for this game to come out and I'm loving every second of it.

#58 grymalkin

grymalkin

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:07 PM

View PostMaestro, on July 4th 2006, 08:47 PM, said:

I am pretty sure the game will run on a G4, but you need a good graphics card. iBooks will have a hard time playing the game.

Emboldened by the fact that the CoD2 demo ran reasonably well on my machine, I bought a copy of Civ4 to try out.  I have a dual 1 GHz G4, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB), System 10.4.7.  I ran the game under 1920x1200 resolution with low settings on all of the graphics options and as many of graphics effects turned off.  I chose a quick setup on an average board with 6 other AI players.

In a nutshell, its playable but with some pretty significant slowdown.  The early game is not too bad, but by mid to end game it gets pretty laggy.  The music and sound also seemed choppy throughout the game.  I'll experiment a bit more on smaller maps with some different settings to see if it helps the performance.  Multiplayer is probably out of the question.  It definitely makes an already lengthy game even longer.

I played for about 7 hours over the course of a few days and did not encounter any major bugs.  Only a couple of graphics glitches:

On occassion, all of the units/cities/structures on the map would appear as black sillouttes.  Saving the game, quitting and then restarting cleared this up.

Towards the end of the game, the high level atmospheric view got screwed up.  It looked like it pulled in some graphics that did not belong (one of the leader portraits).  This did not really effect me since I did not find this view particularly useful.

Performance issues aside, I did enjoy the game.  I am a little miffed the Firaxis design team chose to put such a heavy emphasis on the eye candy.  IMHO it does not add that much to the game and only serves to cut off a lot of fans just because their hardware is a bit dated.  Just one more reason to get a new Mac now I suppose.

#59 wookitus

wookitus

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:40 AM

I just installed Civ IV on my PowerMac G5 1.8ghz w/ ATI 9800 Special Edition card and 1 gig of RAM.  The game is so slow and choppy it's painful to play.  I know 1.8ghz is the minimum requirements, but considering my CPU was the same minimum requirement for Call of Duty 2, and that game ran just fine, I'm a bit disappointed by this.  I usually don't buy a game if my computer doesn't meet the specs, so I'm sorry Aspyr chose to set the requirements on this game so low if it really needed a bit more horsepower.  I've set all the graphics to the minimum levels and I don't really notice much of a difference compared to when I bump up the res and graphics.  It's equally painful.  

:blink:

#60 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:51 AM

View Postwookitus, on July 6th 2006, 02:40 AM, said:

I just installed Civ IV on my PowerMac G5 1.8ghz w/ ATI 9800 Special Edition card and 1 gig of RAM.  The game is so slow and choppy it's painful to play.  I know 1.8ghz is the minimum requirements, but considering my CPU was the same minimum requirement for Call of Duty 2, and that game ran just fine, I'm a bit disappointed by this.  I usually don't buy a game if my computer doesn't meet the specs, so I'm sorry Aspyr chose to set the requirements on this game so low if it really needed a bit more horsepower.  I've set all the graphics to the minimum levels and I don't really notice much of a difference compared to when I bump up the res and graphics.  It's equally painful.  

:blink:

Turn off vertex & pixels shaders via the terminal and Civ4 may perform better.

To do this:

launch the terminal (applications > utilities > terminal)

enter the following two lines:

defaults write com.aspyr.civ4 ASLForcePSOff -bool true
defaults write com.aspyr.civ4 ASLForceVSOff -bool true
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh