#21 gmfeier

gmfeier

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 02:30 PM

View Postmartyjay75, on June 30th 2006, 08:46 PM, said:

Just picked mine up at the Apple Store in San Diego (University City).  Looks a little choppy, but not bad on my new MacBook.  I was surprised to see that it isn't running on widescreen mode.  I have have those black bars running on either side of the screen.  Is there a widescreen mode for the widescreen intel chip macs?

Yes, but you have to set it before you start, then quit and start again. The game started automatically at 1024 X 768 for me, but I set it to 1280 X 800, which was the only other choice showing. The game runs reasonably well on my MacBook, better than I expected it would, except for the sound, of course.

#22 sastewart

sastewart

• IMG Writers
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:20 AM

Just installed mine yesterday on a Macbook Pro, OS 10.4.7.  Anyone having Kernal Protection faults?  I can't get more than 15-20 turns in per session before the game crashes my system.

#23 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:44 AM

View Postsastewart, on July 3rd 2006, 07:20 AM, said:

Just installed mine yesterday on a Macbook Pro, OS 10.4.7.  Anyone having Kernal Protection faults?  I can't get more than 15-20 turns in per session before the game crashes my system.
There's been one report of kernel panics over at civfanatics - second post down in this thread, on a 20" Core Duo iMac. Further down the page, the poster has reduced the graphics to medium and the panics have stopped.

#24 jtonn

jtonn

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:11 AM

After playing the game for a few hours, I have to say that the port is a major disappointment. The sound problem is real. But I was also surprised by how poorly the graphics engine scrolls. I've played the PC version on a 1.6GHz Pentium 4 w/ a cheapo ATI 9200 card and it's smoother than on my 20" 2GHz Core Duo iMac.

I also won't be playing it on my MacBook Pro. After 10 minutes of playing, the fans kick in and it feels like the machine will melt.

The game certainly has the feel of having been rushed out the door. It's also in serious need of further optimization.

And the final insult? After about 4 hours of playing, it triggered a kernel panic. Sigh. I hope that Aspyr is working on a patch release.

#25 dgallina

dgallina

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:35 AM

I haven't had a problem with kernel panics, but agree that the engine is slow and the game experience varies hugely because of that.

The game is fluid and tons of fun on my macbook pro 15", but starts to become choppy and frustrating on my dp g5 1.8ghz with ati 9600 pro.  It's essentially unplayable on my wife's new 2ghz macbook.

Bottom-line: stick with civ3 complete if you don't have a new intel mac with dedicated graphics.

Hope the Aspyr team can do significant optimization in patches and in the expansion, as their potential market is kinda limited for now.

Diego

#26 gmfeier

gmfeier

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 04:01 PM

View Postdgallina, on July 3rd 2006, 10:35 AM, said:

I haven't had a problem with kernel panics, but agree that the engine is slow and the game experience varies hugely because of that.

The game is fluid and tons of fun on my macbook pro 15", but starts to become choppy and frustrating on my dp g5 1.8ghz with ati 9600 pro.  It's essentially unplayable on my wife's new 2ghz macbook.

Bottom-line: stick with civ3 complete if you don't have a new intel mac with dedicated graphics.

Hope the Aspyr team can do significant optimization in patches and in the expansion, as their potential market is kinda limited for now.

Diego

Interesting that it's playing on my 2GHz MacBook (1GB RAM, set to "Better Performance"). Not perfect on a huge world, but it's good enough to keep me going until the new desktops ship. Of course, I'm easily pleased - someone else might find it less than acceptable.

#27 Thinine

Thinine

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:54 PM

This thread is scaring me. I wonder how this will play at 1920x1200 on maximum on my quad with a 6600. 

#28 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:57 PM

View PostThinine, on July 3rd 2006, 07:54 PM, said:

This thread is scaring me. I wonder how this will play at 1920x1200 on maximum on my quad with a 6600. 

Is that a joke?
Edward

#29 dgallina

dgallina

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

View Postgmfeier, on July 3rd 2006, 06:01 PM, said:

Interesting that it's playing on my 2GHz MacBook (1GB RAM, set to "Better Performance"). Not perfect on a huge world, but it's good enough to keep me going until the new desktops ship. Of course, I'm easily pleased - someone else might find it less than acceptable.

Un-playable is relative, of course.  I should have said that it seemed unplayable to me coming from the Macbook Pro :-)

#30 tiskippy

tiskippy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:46 PM

Right, so my copy of Civ4 (from MGS) showed up this afternoon.  Literally ran down to the apt. office to get it from them.  As you see in my sig, I'm using a brand new MacBook Pro (2.16GHz, x1600 256MB VRAM).  I've updated to 10.4.7, but haven't done the QuickTime 7.1.2 update.  From looking at the CivFanatics forum thread mentioned above, it seems that one of those two updates (10.4.7 & QT 7.1.2) cause the problem.  I'm going to speculte that 10.4.7 is the problem, since I haven't installed the QT update and I have the sound issues that everyone else mentioned.

Also, I had the same kernel panic.  I had moved most of the settings to highest and was working through the tutorial...got a long ways through it, then a sudden kernel panic when I tried to open the Civilopedia.  Brad/Glenda/Aspyr people - I saved the kernal panic log if you want it (you can PM me).

Another issue I noticed, but this might be related to display sync - when zoomed out to see the whole globe and moving the map for about 10 seconds, some visual tearing appears.  It doesn't bother me that much, since I rarely zoom out to the globe view.

But for those interested, it is running pretty well on my machine.  I'm running it at 1440x900 and had most of the settings maxed out.  I'll drop things down to medium, hopefully to get rid of the kernel panic, but it is running quite nicely.  I'm definitely going to be hooked on this game for quite a while. :)
Brandon
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 15" Glossy Display

#31 Thinine

Thinine

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:23 PM

View Posteschatz, on July 3rd 2006, 04:57 PM, said:

Is that a joke?
No. It definitely seems like PowerPC Macs are having trouble with this game. If the game is multithreaded, then I may have a chance, but the 6600 isn't the best card.

#32 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:40 PM

View PostThinine, on July 3rd 2006, 09:23 PM, said:

No. It definitely seems like PowerPC Macs are having trouble with this game. If the game is multithreaded, then I may have a chance, but the 6600 isn't the best card.

Well a quad certainly beats out my 2004 Dual 2ghz G5. I have an X800 though I am not sure as to how the 6600 and the X800 compare. That being said, my computer does struggle with Civ 4. I think I am going to stick to Civ 3 for a while, though even that game needs to patched........alas.
Edward

#33 dgallina

dgallina

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:55 PM

OK, I've had some more time to play now.  Finished a game to around the late 1700's tonight on noble.  Was winning until another civ snuck up on me via an ally and crushed my cities in rapid succession.  The game was using all civ slots on a large world map.  

DEFINITELY lots of lag, chug, and graphical / audio tearing and skipping in the last third of the game on my macbook pro.  Tolerable (barely) and pretty unpleasant.  Not a great sign considering that this is about the fastest mac hardware available at this point.

The MBP has 1.25GB RAM and I was running the game on medium detail at 1024x768.

Diego

#34 Thinine

Thinine

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:26 AM

Wow, that sounds horrible.

#35 sleyes

sleyes

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:14 AM

MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 7200 rpm HD, 17" Display...

Deliberately set Civ4 to its DEFAULT settings after a change to rez sent it into fits...

I can barely scroll around on a "standard" size planet; Audio spits and occasionaly stutters like a bad rap song; NO unit animation, NO groups of 3 little guys, very little combat movement , NO dombat audio; the Blue "upgrade" glow seems to CRIPPLE map movement; and, strangest of all, when i zoom out to a "planet" view, the terrain dissappears... replace by the last still image that i saw (like the stretched face of George Washington or the last supper tiff from discovering christianity).

Geez... ne of the reasons i pullrg thr trigger and bought this new (4 days old) MacBook Pro was to play this game; i'd expect this performance if i tried to install this on my old G4 PB, but c'mon... does a turn-based strategy title really need a DeepBlue to run?

I don't blame Aspyr here (though a little more beta testing might have been in order), but rather the original programmers... sure, technology marches on, but i'd bet i could get Civ3 to run on an iPod if i tried really hard.

#36 tiskippy

tiskippy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:28 AM

Just had another kernel panic after about 20 minutes of playing the game - all graphics set to medium, running at 1440x900.  Again, I've saved the kernel panic log if someone at Aspyr wants it.  Just PM me.

Edit: Just had kernel panic #3...both of these occured when I tried to talk to the Japanese leader.  No problems talking to the Russians though.  I'm holding onto a copy of the save game file as well, in case that'd help find the problem.
Brandon
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 15" Glossy Display

#37 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:30 AM

View Postsleyes, on July 4th 2006, 07:14 AM, said:

MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 7200 rpm HD, 17" Display...

Deliberately set Civ4 to its DEFAULT settings after a change to rez sent it into fits...

I can barely scroll around on a "standard" size planet; Audio spits and occasionaly stutters like a bad rap song; NO unit animation, NO groups of 3 little guys, very little combat movement , NO dombat audio; the Blue "upgrade" glow seems to CRIPPLE map movement; and, strangest of all, when i zoom out to a "planet" view, the terrain dissappears... replace by the last still image that i saw (like the stretched face of George Washington or the last supper tiff from discovering christianity).

Geez... ne of the reasons i pullrg thr trigger and bought this new (4 days old) MacBook Pro was to play this game; i'd expect this performance if i tried to install this on my old G4 PB, but c'mon... does a turn-based strategy title really need a DeepBlue to run?

I don't blame Aspyr here (though a little more beta testing might have been in order), but rather the original programmers... sure, technology marches on, but i'd bet i could get Civ3 to run on an iPod if i tried really hard.
None of these issues exsist in the PC version on a similar machine spec.  There is something horribily wrong with the Mac port.  Hopefully it will get sorted out soon.
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.

#38 schwa

schwa

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:02 AM

Stupid game doesn't give up its CPU cycles when paused. 180% minimized!  :blink:  :blink:  :wall:

#39 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:45 PM

Kernel panics occur at the driver level, not in the game itself.  Until an OS/video card driver update fixes these problems there isn't much we can do about them.  We saw kernel panics early in test, but by the final version we hadn't been able to reproduce them any more.  We will obviously work with Apple, ATI & Nvidia to see what can be done.  As a piece of advice in the meantime, it seems this mostly occurs when you push too much video ram swapping on the OS - lower your resolution and/or texture detail/graphics settings and you should see any panics go away.  

We thought we'd licked all the sound issues by the time we shipped, but obviously they popped back up on certain configs.  We're looking into whether updates released after we went gold (10.4.7, QT 7.1.2) are causing new sound problems.  It's one of the age old problems- the OS is constantly changing, and some times things go wacky after we've finished testing and sent a game off to duplication.

For speed issues, we spent a ton of time on optimization, but the game is very resource heavy.  And if your first inclination is to increase screen resolution, bump up detail settings, etc, you'll pretty much wipe out all the optimizations we put in.  Even though it is turn based, the full 3D world with tons of detail (zoom all the way in to see how much stuff is going on) really is pretty taxing.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#40 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

View PostGlendaAdams, on July 4th 2006, 08:45 PM, said:

Kernel panics occur at the driver level, not in the game itself.  Until an OS/video card driver update fixes these problems there isn't much we can do about them.

I find it remarkable that Civ4 is the first application to have triggered this kind of misbehaviour in these drivers. Is it really more demanding than the real time shooters and so on? And the movie and animation editing suites that have been running on Macs for ages?