100 replies to this topic

#1 tw0k1ngs

tw0k1ngs

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:49 AM

It's installing right now! Got it at CompUSA.

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

Wow, that was fast for compUSA. Still hasn't shipped from Amazon, but I chose the super saver shipping...

#3 ShadowTech

ShadowTech

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:39 AM

Just a quick question...it's G5/intel only right?

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:12 PM

View PostShadowTech, on June 29th 2006, 05:39 PM, said:

Officially, but I'll be running it on ly 1.67 PowerBook w/ 1.5 GB Ram and a 128 MB radeon 9700. We'll see how it goes. I'm expecting some slowdowns towards the endgame, but other than that it should be OK.

#5 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:01 PM

I've thought about Civ4. I was a huge Civ2 fanatic, kinda burned out with Civ3. Is it really new and different feeling?

#6 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:42 AM

View PostCougar, on June 29th 2006, 06:12 PM, said:

Officially, but I'll be running it on ly 1.67 PowerBook w/ 1.5 GB Ram and a 128 MB radeon 9700. We'll see how it goes. I'm expecting some slowdowns towards the endgame, but other than that it should be OK.

That's the same setup as mine, except I only have 1 GB RAM. What OS are you running? Let us know how it goes.  :D

#7 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:14 AM

View PostShadowTech, on June 29th 2006, 05:39 PM, said:

Those are the recommended mins. Brad Oliver said on the CivFanatics forum (and possibly here too), that it will install on any Mac, it just won't run well if you're below the minimums.

#8 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:25 AM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on June 30th 2006, 02:14 PM, said:

Those are the recommended mins. Brad Oliver said on the CivFanatics forum (and possibly here too), that it will install on any Mac, it just won't run well if you're below the minimums.
First report in from someone with a first release G5 iMac, 1.8GHz, min-spec video card (GeForce FX 5200 @ 64MB VRAM) and 2 GBytes of RAM. S/He says it's choppy on a standard map, with sound and video problems, and a crash.

Not good news for players with below spec Macs.

#9 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:13 AM

View PostAlanH, on June 30th 2006, 06:25 AM, said:

First report in from someone with a first release G5 iMac, 1.8GHz, min-spec video card (GeForce FX 5200 @ 64MB VRAM) and 2 GBytes of RAM. S/He says it's choppy on a standard map, with sound and video problems, and a crash.

Not good news for players with below spec Macs.
On min/below spec Macs you definitely are going to want to play on the smaller maps.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#10 martyjay75

martyjay75

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:46 PM

Just picked mine up at the Apple Store in San Diego (University City).  Looks a little choppy, but not bad on my new MacBook.  I was surprised to see that it isn't running on widescreen mode.  I have have those black bars running on either side of the screen.  Is there a widescreen mode for the widescreen intel chip macs?

#11 tw0k1ngs

tw0k1ngs

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:28 PM

View Postmartyjay75, on June 30th 2006, 08:46 PM, said:

Just picked mine up at the Apple Store in San Diego (University City).  Looks a little choppy, but not bad on my new MacBook.  I was surprised to see that it isn't running on widescreen mode.  I have have those black bars running on either side of the screen.  Is there a widescreen mode for the widescreen intel chip macs?

After playing the game on my MacBook it was WAY too choppy for me, so I am playing the demo on my dad's PC until my iMac arrives for home use.

But when I was playing on my dad's computer, I noticed (his display runs at 1280 x 1024) and there was indeed a 1280 x 800 resolution. So yes, it will run in widescreen. :)

#12 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:43 PM

Looking forward to playing this one, with my iMac arriving next week :)
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#13 lancemoody

lancemoody

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

No In-game interface sounds, music, ambience on my Macbook Pro 2ghz. Plays ok so far but audio is not right.

Lance

#14 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:37 PM

View Postlancemoody, on July 1st 2006, 12:51 AM, said:

No In-game interface sounds, music, ambience on my Macbook Pro 2ghz. Plays ok so far but audio is not right.
Lance

My game is totally devoid of sound as well except for the voice overs. Eerily reminiscent of Civ 3, though that has a patch in the works. Civ 4 has no music or sound effects for any of the units. Strange indeed. Powermac dual g5 2ghz, x800 1.5 GB of RAM and 10.4.7.
Edward

#15 martyjay75

martyjay75

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 09:39 AM

Ditto for me.  Seems like a great game.  But on my 2.0 ghz MacBook with 1 GB Ram and 64 VRam there is no sound except for Spock reading quotes any time I reach a new technology.  Also, it appears that the units glide to their locations on the board when you move them, almost like chess pieces.  Every now and then I'll get the proper movement animation.  The animation and sound portions of the game are dissappointing so far.  Other than that, the game seems much deeper than previous versions.

View Posteschatz, on June 30th 2006, 10:37 PM, said:

My game is totally devoid of sound as well except for the voice overs. Eerily reminiscent of Civ 3, though that has a patch in the works. Civ 4 has no music or sound effects for any of the units. Strange indeed. Powermac dual g5 2ghz, x800 1.5 GB of RAM and 10.4.7.

#16 lancemoody

lancemoody

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

I can now confirm the same sound problems with a dual 2.7ghz G5. (10.4.7--3.5gb ram)

I will test on g5 iMac tonight.

One must wonder just what sort of testing was done on this product.

The most simple form of testing yields immediate problems.

I have an open ticket with Aspyr customer service (not that I really should need one on 2 systems that meet the specs handily).

I wonder if the new Quicktime update caused these audio difficulties?

Lance

#17 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

Just picked up a copy at my small town local software store.  Surpised they actually had it in stock...

#18 ShadowTech

ShadowTech

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 08:09 PM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on June 30th 2006, 09:14 AM, said:

Thats "good" I guess, but I think it's kinda misleading when on the site/box there is no mention of it being capable of running on systems other than G5/intel. I would figure they would put G4 compatibility under min. specs, since it would -probably- sell more games.

#19 lancemoody

lancemoody

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

Now also can report that G5 iMac has the same sound problem mentioned above.

Jeeze.  A nice long weekend to play and a we get a marred substandard experience. I remember thinking, "Wow, that sure did go from beta to release fast. Who tests these things?

There were problems with sound on the original Civ III release as well.

Lance

#20 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:22 AM

View Postlancemoody, on July 1st 2006, 11:18 PM, said:

Now also can report that G5 iMac has the same sound problem mentioned above.

Jeeze.  A nice long weekend to play and a we get a marred substandard experience. I remember thinking, "Wow, that sure did go from beta to release fast. Who tests these things?

There were problems with sound on the original Civ III release as well.

Lance

Yeah, kind of disappointing on the testing front. Hopefully a patch will be out in short order. That being said, I find Civ 4 a touch overwhelming. Perhaps I just need to learn and get used to it. On the Civ 3 front, I hope we see a patch soon....I would love to hear the sounds.
Edward