Starcraft And Diablo To Follow In WoW's Footsteps?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

According to a report on F13.net Vivendi Universal, parent company of Blizzard Entertainment, announced that "all Blizzard franchises" would become Massively Multiplayer Online games. The rumored announcement is said to have been made during a recent financial presentation given on Wall Street.

The Cesspit posted what are apparently the slides from the presentation, and likely the genesis of the rumor. The majority of the slides deal with the economics of MMOs, but the final slide lists Diablo and Starcraft as "potential" areas for MMO development.

On the World of Warcraft forums a Blizzard representative officially denied the rumor, and a Shacknews followup with a Vivendi spokesperson yielded a similar answer from the parent company.

From the WoW forums:

Nothing in that rumor is true in regards to Blizzard. If I had to guess, there was some confusion between what Vivendi has planned for its game division versus what Blizzard has planned. While Blizzard is owned by Vivendi, their game division operates seperately from Blizzard.
To follow the rise and fall of an internet rumor check out the links below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

And ruin Starcraft? I hope not.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#3 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:34 AM

yeah because making a new MMO based on starcraft would ruin the original games. erm?

Sarcasm aside, I for one would be very interested in a MMOG based on starcraft. Of course if it was the same old grind and repetitive quest system like WoW I'd lose interest pretty quickly.

#4 Guest_Red Guard_*

Guest_Red Guard_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:50 AM

Making Starcraft & Diablo into MMO definitely means huge profits for Blizzard.

However, it's going to be a challenge for Blizzard to make sure that Starcraft & Diablo MMOs won't be WOW with Starcraft & Diablo "skins"...

With that said though, the main reason why I still haven't got into WOW yet is because I feel like it's a ripoff.  Not only do you have to buy the game, you have to keep paying just to play it... it's like buying a house but still pay rent.

#5 nickf

nickf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:55 AM

World of Starcraft holds interesting possibilities.

Not so sure about Diablo - seems that the WoW character mechanics (paladins auras, barbarian shouts, arcane magic schools, shapeshifting droods etc) are pretty similar to those in D2 anyway.

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6097 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:44 AM

A StarCraft MMOG is something I'd probably actually want to play. But like Morrigan said, there better be some improvements over WoW's repetition. I'm not really interested in blowing my time doing the same quest for the same gold 4000 times and doing level up grinds. It's a game, not a job. Also, I hope they don't eff it up like Star Wars Galaxies. I've yet to hear of one person who was satisfied with SWG's execution.

Still, it opens up interesting possibilities. For one, fantasy is a horse that's been beaten to freakin' death in MMOGs. A MMOG Sci-Fi is something that (to my knowledge) has yet to truly be done right. There's also the factor of the technology and weaponry in play. Sure some big mega experienced player with the best-made sword on the continent can outfight a newbie with some butterknife from the local blacksmith, but a bullet is a bullet is a bullet no matter who or what you are. And StarCraft is all about bullets.

You know how in Fallout no matter how high your level gets, you're still in danger of being mowed down by a group of farmers with assault rifles if you're not careful? That's what I want to see. Best way to avoid damage is better protection and better tactics.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:24 PM

*yawns* Why am I not surprised? As has been stated in one of The Escapist Magazine's latest issues, Blizzard is becoming more and more uncreative, and it is  just out to milk its franchises. Too bad. I loved their older games, but these are as interesting to me as watching grass grow.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#8 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:31 PM

I don't think there is enough of an MMO market for them to have more than 1 game let alone 3. Heck at this point they already are pretty close to making WoW starcraft with the space pallies/draenei.
"You call *this* archaeology?" • Professor Henry Jones

#9 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:51 PM

I doubt that Blizzard will put another MMO on their plate any time soon. So many people left because they didnt want to be servicing the need of the Beast that is WoW. So imagine the strain that a second MMO would put on their team?

no I hope that blizzard have got something really special planned. Theyve got plenty of money, what with the astounding success of WoW, which is literally raking in the cash for them, so they can really take their time on this one.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#10 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

View PostRed Guard, on June 15th 2006, 11:50 AM, said:

With that said though, the main reason why I still haven't got into WOW yet is because I feel like it's a ripoff.  Not only do you have to buy the game, you have to keep paying just to play it... it's like buying a house but still pay rent.

It's called a mortgage - you end up paying $200,000 for that $100,000 house
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#11 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:32 PM

View Postbookman, on June 15th 2006, 04:20 PM, said:

It's called a mortgage - you end up paying $200,000 for that $100,000 house

That wasn't his point.  :P
R.I.P. Blizzard

#12 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:36 AM

View Postkingarthur_kom, on June 16th 2006, 09:32 AM, said:

R.I.P. Blizzard

View PostPegasus, on June 16th 2006, 04:24 AM, said:

*yawns* Why am I not surprised? As has been stated in one of The Escapist Magazine's latest issues, Blizzard is becoming more and more uncreative, and it is  just out to milk its franchises. Too bad. I loved their older games, but these are as interesting to me as watching grass grow.

It seems more than a little unfair to me to claim that Blizzard are old hat on the basis of an ubsubstantiated rumour and the fact that they have recycled their main settings again and again. Firstly, each time they have done this, they have not only added more variety to the gameplay on offer, but gone to great lengths to expand the universe in question. If you don't like it, don't play it. But there are plenty who do, and Blizzard are a games company like any other - they make money by doing what they do best. It's not actually as easy as you'd think to design completly original games, so I'm happy that Blizzard stick to what they do best. When they start to falter, than we can complain, but at this point they only seem to be doing better.

And I second teflon's point about the resources needed to run two huge MMOGs, I'd be willing to bet that Blizzard would wait until WoW had truly run its course before putting out another.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

#13 machineman

machineman

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:49 AM

View PostMorrigan, on June 15th 2006, 09:34 AM, said:

Sarcasm aside, I for one would be very interested in a MMOG based on starcraft. Of course if it was the same old grind and repetitive quest system like WoW I'd lose interest pretty quickly.

I love how people say this, yet happily pay their $14.99 a month to Blizzard. If you don't like it, then leave.

It's not a grind and repetitive quest system, but rather you don't approach the game with the mindset that it's one of adventure and achievement... Fact is, WoW is the best MMO model going, and for some time to come... I think everyone would welcome another MMO set in one of Blizzard's gaming universes... (except of course that it would completely finish off my social life that WoW started attacking 2 years ago :)

View PostRed Guard, on June 15th 2006, 09:50 AM, said:

If you are a gamer, and you enjoy fantasy adventure RPGs, you are doing yourself a disservice by not playing WoW. The only factor you should consider is if you really have the time...

I can tell you without a doubt, Blizzard has provided more content and game play to make up for the $50 box as well as the $14.99 fee... At that monthly rate, it equals buying a new game every 3 months, which I think is reasonable... and the content they provide surpasses other single games you can buy (and I am talking about their free content patches)!

#14 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:04 AM

View PostRed Guard, on June 15th 2006, 06:50 PM, said:

it's like buying a house but still pay rent.

Unlike the real world where you just buy the house and pay domestic taxes, rent on the loan, maintenance when stuff break or so on. Or buy a new apartment where you actually pay rent as well for several systems ;)

or buy a car and pay for gas...

or ...

... well ... you get it... there's plenty of things out there that has ongoing fees after the initial purchase. And seeing how rampant piracy are these days, MMO's are the kind of payment scheme that is most likely to pay off, since they're the hardest ones to sidestep. So expect even more MMOs in the future, especially after WoW's large impact on the market.

I don't like that the least, but I guess we partly have to thank the pirates for that.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#15 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:23 AM

View PostBelcarius, on June 16th 2006, 03:36 AM, said:

When they start to falter, than we can complain, but at this point they only seem to be doing better.

Doing better? They haven't released a good game since Starcraft.

Diablo 2 singleplayer was extremely boring, with simple repetative quests, and multiplayer was just running the same boss runs over and over again hoping for a good item to drop. Warcraft III didn't have the gameplay experience Starcraft and Warcraft 2 had.

View Postmachineman, on June 16th 2006, 07:49 AM, said:

It's not a grind and repetitive quest system, but rather you don't approach the game with the mindset that it's one of adventure and achievement...
Could you please explain this? The problem with the adventure and achievement statement is WoW is set in a static world. A quest might be one of adventure and achievement the first time, but people do the same quests over and over again, hoping for the item they are looking for to drop. It seems to me like it is the same as Diablo 2 only they try to disguise the grind with some poorly written "quests".

If you are a gamer, and you enjoy fantasy adventure RPGs, you are doing yourself a disservice by not playing WoW.
I fixed it for you. ;)

I'm not sure I would even consider Diablo 2 or WoW RPGs. There is no roleplaying or thinking involved, just a clickfest, and all that matters is what items you have. And to top all this off, Battle.net is one of the worst online communities in existance. PC gaming forums can only get so bad because people need to take time to post and wait for a reply.

#16 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 01:25 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on June 17th 2006, 02:23 AM, said:

Doing better? They haven't released a good game since Starcraft.
Diablo 2 singleplayer was extremely boring, with simple repetative quests, and multiplayer was just running the same boss runs over and over again hoping for a good item to drop. Warcraft III didn't have the gameplay experience Starcraft and Warcraft 2 had.
I should have defined what I meant by 'doing better', I forgot about the possible ambiguity. That statement was made in reference to sales, which don't define simply how good a game is but how many people like it.

Anyway, this is getting slightly off topic.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

#17 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:21 AM

Penny Arcade knew how to treat this announcement.