3 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:47 AM

Today IMG posted an interview of Rake in Grass, the developers behind Jets 'n' Guns. After just one month of developing Mac Games, Rake in Grass has become one of the most talked about developers in the industry. The Czech Republic-based developer has recieved universal critical acclaim. IMG recently got a chance to chat with Pavel Tovarys, the Marketing Manager at Rake in Grass.

IMG: Word has it that and expansion, dubbed Jets 'n' Guns Gold, is in the works. What can you tell me about it? Any secret's you'd like to reveal?

Pavel: Yes, it's true. The expansion is under development and hopefully we will start betatesting soon. What can we let out... We'd like to double the play time of one round of the campaign (no promises). We also have working space ship shopping, higher resolution, and heaps of minor changes.

IMG: Being a cross platform developer, what are the differences between the PC and Mac market? Has the Mac been as profitable as the PC for you?

Pavel: Yes, the Mac market looks very interesting for us. The PC market ir really overflowing and it is very hard to expand there. It is also occupied by several big online distributors and developers who dictate many aspects of the games. The Mac market is not as big, but it looks like there's a significant demand for games not so 'casual' as regular omnipresent 'time wasters'.
To read the interview, click the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:54 AM

Rake in Grass has quickly become one of my favorite Mac developers seemingly overnight.  
Yes, shareware shooters have been done before, but with only a few exceptions (ie: Active Lancer, Bullet Ex, Starship final, etc) they just never seem to feel and play like an arcade or console shooter.

Jets N Guns manages to get it right while also adding some customization options.  The collision detection is spot on, while the sound and destruction level approaches that of classic arcade games like Metal Slug and Raiden II.  Pretty amazing considering this is a first Mac effort from the company, kind of makes you wonder why other Mac shareware developers can't (or haven't) come close to putting out such a quality product after all these years.  

Support this developer and buy the expansion when it comes out.  We need more games like this for the Mac.

#3 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:23 PM

I love Jets n' Guns.  I'm rarely as consistently impressed as I am with that game.  I want to support Rake in Grass with their latest game Styrateg, but I wish they would get a decent translator as the game is text-heavy and really suffers from mixed tenses, wrong words, and so on.

#4 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:19 AM

View PostMarble, on June 10th 2006, 01:23 AM, said:

I want to support Rake in Grass with their latest game Styrateg, but I wish they would get a decent translator as the game is text-heavy and really suffers from mixed tenses, wrong words, and so on.

I've done a reasonable amount of copy editing, plus I'm a published author, so if Rake in Grass wants someone to get the English up to snuff, I'm available for a reasonable fee....  (The state of copy editing in the games industry in general is fairly poor I must say.  Even with some big-name, high-profile games, you have to suffer through typos, bad grammar, and appalling writing.  Does no one bother to look at this stuff before it goes out the door?)

--Eric