#1 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:50 AM

Once I cranked up Morrowind (borrowed copy) while I was playing WoW and immediately dismissed it as subpar. Now that I'm over WoW and am playing Oblivion, I see praise of Morrowind and wonder if I should give it another chance? Based on some of the posts in this forum, would anyone with Morrowind and Oblvion experience care to compare them to one another?

graphics
environment
atmosphere
gameplay
combat
quality of quests
story line
etc

Thanks!

#2 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:16 AM

in short

oblivion is a better game
morrowind is a greater game

the land in oblivion is alot less interesting and excoitic
morrowind really takes me someware else

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#3 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:32 AM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on June 7th 2006, 01:16 AM, said:

in short
oblivion is a better game
morrowind is a greater game
the land in oblivion is alot less interesting and excoitic
morrowind really takes me someware else

Thanks for the reply! I assume oblivion has more fluid combat?
How about a quest comparison? :)

#4 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:21 PM

The lower hardware requirements of Morrowind mean it might run on the MacBook I'll be getting in August. :)
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#5 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:25 PM

It took me a bunch of tries to get into Morrowind, but now I really like it, it isn't superior to Oblivion, but I think it is more than worthy of all its praise.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#6 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:52 PM

View PostAskilfeasd, on June 8th 2006, 02:25 PM, said:

It took me a bunch of tries to get into Morrowind, but now I really like it, it isn't superior to Oblivion, but I think it is more than worthy of all its praise.

Hows the Morrowind combat and the quests? :)

#7 The Red Scare

The Red Scare

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:31 PM

I have Morrowind for Xbox.  As far as combat goes, its basic hack-and-slash.  The fighting system is kinda weak, and is especially bad at the beginning of the game before you level up your combat skills.  The lack of an enemy health meter is also really annoying (although they added this to the GOTY edition, a much needed improvement).

Besides combat, Morrowind is great.  You can easily spend 200+ hours completing your quests.  The game is very slow paced, but the more time you put into it the greater the reward.  I wouldn't recommend this for a casual gamer, but its a must-buy if you like role-playing games.  Its about as immersive as a game can be.  After playing Morrowind, other RPGs just pale in comparision...the fact that you can literally go anywhere in the Morrowind world--into every house and up every mountain-- makes it feel so "real."

I just wish I had a 360 or a fast PC so I could compare it to Oblivion.  But for us less fortuanate gamers, Morrowind is probably the best we can do.
Check out my beats and stuff...
http://www.soundclick.com/redscare

#8 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:16 AM

View PostThe Red Scare, on June 11th 2006, 03:31 PM, said:

I have Morrowind for Xbox.  As far as combat goes, its basic hack-and-slash.  The fighting system is kinda weak, and is especially bad at the beginning of the game before you level up your combat skills.  The lack of an enemy health meter is also really annoying (although they added this to the GOTY edition, a much needed improvement).

Besides combat, Morrowind is great.  You can easily spend 200+ hours completing your quests.  The game is very slow paced, but the more time you put into it the greater the reward.  I wouldn't recommend this for a casual gamer, but its a must-buy if you like role-playing games.  Its about as immersive as a game can be.  After playing Morrowind, other RPGs just pale in comparision...the fact that you can literally go anywhere in the Morrowind world--into every house and up every mountain-- makes it feel so "real."

I just wish I had a 360 or a fast PC so I could compare it to Oblivion.  But for us less fortuanate gamers, Morrowind is probably the best we can do.

Red,
Thanks for the report! :)
In Oblivion you can dodge spells, you can block and time your attacks based on the cadence of your opponents. It feels fluid to me. Frequently I hold up a shield (blocking) and do a slow retreat, which minimizes the amount of the hit you take when a mob lunges at you. After an attack, I counter attack. Morrowind anything like this?

How about mobs levels? Are their skill/xp levels set or do they scale with you as they do in Oblivion? I'm really thinking about giving Morrowind another  go.

#9 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:23 AM

DO IT HUNTN! you can pick morrowind and all the expansions up for about $15 US? and it is a verry good game to go back to. i have morrowind on xbox and it sucks real hard it takes a good 10 minutes to load anything. i love the pc version though. me and my mate are making a movie with it called "The Premise of Fargoth"

watch out for that pesky little woodelf! Posted Image :angry:

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#10 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:49 AM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on June 14th 2006, 02:23 AM, said:

DO IT HUNTN! you can pick morrowind and all the expansions up for about $15 US? and it is a verry good game to go back to. i have morrowind on xbox and it sucks real hard it takes a good 10 minutes to load anything. i love the pc version though. me and my mate are making a movie with it called "The Premise of Fargoth"

watch out for that pesky little woodelf! Posted Image :angry:

I might. :) In the U.S. it sells new for about $18-$20, maybe less on eBay. Are you working on this movie using your xBox? How are you capturing footage?

#11 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

My 2 cents:

Gameplaywise Oblivion has much better combat and more interesting quests.

Morrowind however, is alot of fun, and if you get the game of the year edition has many more places to explore than oblivion. So ya I'd give it another shot.

#12 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:23 PM

Aussie and Auron,
Thanks! I probably will give Morrowind a shot. Make no mistake, I'm having fun with Oblivion except for one thing- the ho-humm Oblivion gates. I can see how some players might do all of Cryodiil (where Oblivion takes place) and leave the gates for last (if ever). :)

#13 Cain

Cain

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:53 PM

Hey Huntn, I've read many of your posts regarding WOW and it looks like I will be taking a substantial break from the game. Now that I've hit 60 I'm not really sure if I want to grind reputations, etc. I know this is off topic but do you think Oblivion will fulfill my RPG fix? I loved the combat in WOW but it looks like Oblivion is pretty different in that respect. How do you think the combat, and I guess the game overall, compares to WOW? Any opinions you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks!

Cain

#14 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:32 PM

View PostCain, on June 14th 2006, 05:53 PM, said:

Hey Huntn, I've read many of your posts regarding WOW and it looks like I will be taking a substantial break from the game. Now that I've hit 60 I'm not really sure if I want to grind reputations, etc. I know this is off topic but do you think Oblivion will fulfill my RPG fix? I loved the combat in WOW but it looks like Oblivion is pretty different in that respect. How do you think the combat, and I guess the game overall, compares to WOW? Any opinions you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks!

Cain

Hi Cain. Did you read the WoW, Life After 60 article? :D Depending on what you want, I'll say maybe. I'd give it an 8.5/10 as an RPG. But it's no MMO if that is what you really crave. ES4:Oblivion is very immersive, high quality RPG. It's the best RPG I've ever played, mixing most of the elements that make games great. I'm enjoying the heck out of it but it's not perfect and it's not quite great.

Oblivions best points-
*Outstanding immersive world.
*Interesting quests.
*Traditional RPG elements.
*Real fights where your ability to move, block, and counter makes a difference.
*Play when you want, explore as much as you want and not miss a thing.
*Lots of mods that can alter game play.
*Lots of potions & spells.
*Play good, bad, or be a thief, assassin, or vampire.
*Wide open spaces to explore. Not lineal.
*NPCs have routines.

Oblivions questionable points (depending on your needs)-
*No multiplayer, no group efforts.
*Mostly single player adventure- minimal NPC help although there is a companion mod.
*Mobs level with you- which is disagreeable to some players.
*As per most RPGs, combat can be paused to select potions/spells.
*The areas behind the Oblivion gates- I don't find these areas as fun as normal questing.
*Stupid A.I.- Mobs are not very smart when your standing on a rock. They don't realize they can circle around to get at you.
*Horses are of minimal value- if they get beat on enough they die. You can run or use fast travel in leu of a horsey.
*No giant fights- it's mostly 1v1, 1v2, 1v3. As a rule, you can't handle 1v3; 1v2 can be questionable if you allow yourself to be beat on.
*Ugly characters (as compared to WoW)
*Makes use of accelerated time. I've not timed it but 1 hr of play time= about 6 hr of oblivion time.

You mentioned combat. It's hard to compare WoW combat to Oblivion. For one thing you can pause the fight to select spells and potions. Compared to WoW, this might feel like cheating but as you know it's a common feature of RPGs. :) Combat is different than WoW from a skill standpoint. Or to be fair it's a different kind of skill required. WoW is knowing your attacks and attack combos well. Oblivion is knowing your  attacks and moving. I remember the attack combos in WoW to be more complicated and due to "real time" more challenging.  But Oblivion is better from the aspect that you can move and time attacks. Most times you can't just stand there and take a beating. I'm using a combination of light armor, some nice weapons, and spell casting. My character is a Dark Elf.

The fact that Mobs level with you to some degree floors some players. So there are no areas where the mobs will totally kick your butt, but then again, you can do any ruin/cave in any order and always have a challenge. So unlike WoW there is never a zone where you'll have to run for your life due to high level mobs  coming for you.

I'm not sure what is going on in my game, but some of the gouls/zombies I'm running into are very tough, requiring lots of running away while I regain mana (mostly for healing unless I use a potion to restore mana or health).

The Ariena companion mod is a mixed bag IMO. You get an invincible companion who can be knocked out, but never dies. I heard there is a setting that allows them to die, but then you loose your companion. And since you get no feedback on their health level, you don't know what is happening with them. I have no idea if a companion from a mod, if that companion will generate. I had to meet mine by the Imperial City Arena and engage in some small talk to get her to join me.

To get the ability to make spells, you have to complete all the Mage quests in the various towns to get access to the Arcane University. I'm not there yet.

This has been mentioned in a Oblivion thread, maybe by me. I don't like the fact that a terrible threat develops and you are free to ignore it and go willy nilly on your way doing  quests. The threat is the attack on the King by some bad people and basically the gates of hell open up to allow foul things to emerge upon the land. Sounds like a huge threat but there are no dire consequences if you choose to ignore it. But the world of Oblivion is so good, it's not a deal breaker for me.

#15 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:52 AM

View PostHuntn, on June 14th 2006, 10:49 PM, said:

Are you working on this movie using your xBox? How are you capturing footage?

DEFINETLY not xbox way too slow. we are using fraps and the PC version of Morrowind. besiides on the pc version i have proper acsess to the console allowing me to do cool things which i need :)

When i am done i will post the movie. should be fun :D

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#16 Cain

Cain

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:24 AM

Thanks for the info Huntn! Wasn't expecting you to be so thorough...much appreciated! Oblivion really sounds like fun. The pausing in game is something I'm used as I'm a big fan of the Knights Of The Old Republic series. I think I'll be giving Oblivion a shot in the near future as my WOW subscription ends at the end of the month. Thanks again!

#17 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:27 PM

View PostCain, on June 15th 2006, 08:24 AM, said:

Thanks for the info Huntn! Wasn't expecting you to be so thorough...much appreciated! Oblivion really sounds like fun. The pausing in game is something I'm used as I'm a big fan of the Knights Of The Old Republic series. I think I'll be giving Oblivion a shot in the near future as my WOW subscription ends at the end of the month. Thanks again!

Glad I could help. Oblivion's environment is many steps above KOTOR's.

#18 King_Lich87

King_Lich87

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:47 PM

If i got boot camp on my 1.83 ghz intel core duo mac, could it run it?  I have 1 gb of ram, would that be enough?

#19 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:11 PM

View PostKing_Lich87, on June 19th 2006, 06:47 PM, said:

If i got boot camp on my 1.83 ghz intel core duo mac, could it run it?  I have 1 gb of ram, would that be enough?

I assume you mean Oblivion. I'm not sure. Anyone? Morrowind should be a go.

#20 monkeyballs

monkeyballs

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:26 AM

Hell, I played it through with my 1.83ghz Imac With 512mb ram. Yeh sure it was choppy out doors... but the game is good enough to keep me happy, im sure with 1gig of ram it would be a step up....go for it dude!