123 replies to this topic

#21 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:41 AM

I liked the way that particular impossibility was explained away in Elite Force by having all the required weapons stored in a personal Transporter buffer. It's a bit like Marathon 1 where they try to at least have some explanation for the save points All adds to the suspension of disbelief..

View PostHapa Hanu, on June 6th 2006, 05:11 PM, said:

I would like to see, not just in Marathon 4 but in lots of games, the ability to pick up rudimentary objects and  use them as crude weapons.

ie; chairs, lamps, frying pans, tree limbs, et cetera...

Consider the satisfaction!

And yeah! Imagine the joy of  beating a Philthy Pfhor to death with his own arm!

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#22 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:40 PM

View PostLord Brixton, on June 7th 2006, 03:41 AM, said:

And yeah! Imagine the joy of  beating a Philthy Pfhor to death with his own arm!
I'd like to grab a green fighter by its ankles and use it to bludgeon others.

#23 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:53 PM

I could never hit an Enforcer though. That would be wrong.

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.

Posted Image

#24 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:09 PM

I think weapons carrying ability should be based on the bulk of the weapon itself, not on its status as "one unit of weapon."

I always thought it was rather silly that the Master Chief could carry either two huge gigantic weapons, or a little pistol and an SMG. Come on.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#25 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:43 PM

View PostFrost, on June 6th 2006, 08:09 PM, said:

I think weapons carrying ability should be based on the bulk of the weapon itself, not on its status as "one unit of weapon."

I always thought it was rather silly that the Master Chief could carry either two huge gigantic weapons, or a little pistol and an SMG. Come on.

Agreed. That's one of the reasons I'm so keen on that 'weight penalty' idea. Marathon didn't have jumping (not really) and it affected level design in a really interesting way. One of the things I can't bear about online Quake or UT deathmatches is the insane amount of leaping that goes on.

Posted Image

#26 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:45 PM

Honestly, I'm afraid that somehow I'd be disappointed with a Marathon IV. Marathon happened when we were all new to that level of computer gaming. A time when I could shoot players across the arena with a rocket cause they were just standing there.  A lot has changed since then!

What would be the best graphics engine for it?

#27 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:09 PM

View PostLord Brixton, on June 6th 2006, 11:53 AM, said:

I could never hit an Enforcer though. That would be wrong.
Oh fire truck that!  Slug 'er in the guts then cut her face with a jagged piece of metal!

View PostHuntn, on June 6th 2006, 12:45 PM, said:

What would be the best graphics engine for it?
An older 3D graphics engine like Quake 3.  One that would allow a modern machine to mount up HORDES of monsters to fight.  I miss the days of plowing through a crowded room of Pfhor with guns blazing!  And I don't want any of the "Halo effect", where no matter what the trauma inflicted is, the body is nice and tidy and clean.  I want the corpse to be shattered by an explosion, I want to wade through the broken, twisted dead with bloody Pfhor giblets raining down on me.  If they are burned to death, show me their lobster-red, steaming flesh, clawed hands held up in vain to protect themselves, with their grimaces broiled onto their dead faces!  This is the Pfhor we are dealing with, show me their pain!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#28 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:48 PM

A-MEN! The only good Pfhor is a dead Pfhor!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#29 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:05 PM

what about the ridiculous scale of the Halo 3 engine? polygons as far as the horizon??? and then license GHOUL 2 for realistic dismemberment and stuff and get some realistic damage penalties going on, so that if you get hit the same place twice (no shield) its punched through the armour (just have a little body to show how youre holding up Deus Ex style) and affects the part of the body its hit, that kind of thing. On you its got to be exact, but on enemies it can be more approximate... cos theyll be blowing up left right and centre with the Jeffrey Bunce Brain-Frazzler ("I was so proud of it I put someone elses name on it!").
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#30 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:28 PM

View PostBatcat, on June 6th 2006, 09:48 AM, said:

So you're a cyborg with many reallllly big pockets and trailing a little red wagon o' munitions a la Quake 2? (SMG, shotgun, chaingun, rocket launcher, grenade launcher, BFG... hundreds of pounds and thousands of rounds of ammo of all types at the ready, energy cells... OK, make that a small garage on wheels)
Don't give me that new-age Mark V crap.  You can't talk that way about the old corps Marathon Mark IV's!  You can pack that load because you are a Mjolnir Mark IV Cyborg!  A state of the art human brained mechanically enhanced butt-kicking, name taking, SOB that shows no quarter, grants no mercy, and allows no mistakes on the part of his enemies.  You are 20 Marathon BoB's breathing as much oxygen as only 2, weighing the same as only 3, and eating as much as only 4.  You have been on the job and training for CENTURIES.  You can leap down 70' shafts with half a ton of weapons and ammo, land on your toes, and kick ass on what ever had the shrieking misfortune to be there when you landed. Trust me pal, the Pfhor choke on their spit when they see you.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#31 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:14 AM

This is all nonsense. Don't you guys know that the Mjolnir Mark IVs used the IGR 4D knapsacks pioneered by Cap'n Magneto of Mac shareware fame? That's how you hold all that stuff and retrieve it so quickly. It's like the Red Velvet Bag Tied with a Gold Cord from Pathways Into Darkness, only militarized.

One thing I'd love to see in full 3D glory: the Marathon crew banding together and hunting naked airlock technicians to check for simulacrums. That'd be so outright crass and uncalled for that only Wideload could make it happen right.

Eric5h5:

#32 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:39 AM

i liked the old halo footage where your character had the other weapon stuck across its back. just made so much more sense that not having it like now....

and i think tBC put the ! in the wrong place. "Marathon Mark IV!'s" also known as 4!, and in maths ! means factorial... have that(Factorial)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#33 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:46 AM

If the Save Terminals can pattern buffer a whole MKIV, the same tech on a smaller scale could easily stow a goldarned Fusion Pistol.

I know I've made this point before but that's how I operate: I repeat myself until peopl eget used to teh noise & accept it as fact!

Posted Image

#34 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:38 AM

And it's not like the marine is shadowed constantly by various AIs that have the tech to teleport weapons in and out of the player's hand, or anything...
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#35 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:41 AM

View PostBatcat, on June 7th 2006, 12:05 PM, said:

So you're saying the M4 MKIV (if it is that, and not some advanced model from the next universe) has a built-in pattern buffer for his weapons? :blink:

Porque no?

View PostBatcat, on June 7th 2006, 12:05 PM, said:

I think BC should have to suffer with having to plan and think a more limited weapon set. :happy:

Oh yeah, that's a given. But just BC - I want to hose down a juggernaut with everything from a 44 Magnum Mega Class A1 to a 波動砲 !

Posted Image

#36 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:21 AM

View PostLord Brixton, on June 7th 2006, 10:41 PM, said:

波動砲 !
Are you sure you don't mean 波を用いる小さいギター?

#37 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:36 AM

View PostBatcat, on June 6th 2006, 07:46 PM, said:

...or are you towing your personal TARDIS (transdimensionally bigger on the inside than the outside) to stow all those guns? (I wanna see a 3rd-person view of you drawing a weapon from that arsenal, or leaping down an elevator shaft with a Tardis in tow :)).
Play Marathon just once and you can see it for yourself.  I think you should at least play ONE of the 3 Marathons before you start trying to turn something wonderful that you've never experienced into Halo.

View PostBatcat, on June 7th 2006, 04:05 AM, said:

So you're saying the M4 MKIV (if it is that, and not some advanced model from the next universe) has a built-in pattern buffer for his weapons? :blink:

I think BC should have to suffer with having to plan and think a more limited weapon set. :happy:
No, I'm not saying anything of the sort, you are creating your own ridiculous scenarios in order to make a classic game with lasting appeal look foolish in order to impose your Haloesque ideas of how "things have to be".  I'm saying give me the Marathon weapons set, why would that be such a preposterous thing in Marathon?  You can get mired down in the restraints imposed on your Halo universe if you want to but don't drag us down with you because this isn't Halo and Marathon shouldn't even think of trying to emulate a game that tried and failed to emulate the fun of Marathon.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#38 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:29 PM

Waitwaitwait, Batcat hasn't played Marathon? 50 POINT LOSS OF RESPECT FOR YOU! Go get M1A1 and play through that at least that before you make another suggestion!

And I suppose an acceptable realism compromise (though honestly, realism in Marathon? Since when is Tau Ceti almost 28 parsecs away? Last I checked it was about 3) would be making use of AI teleport abilities to hold onto the extra weapons and ammo and you can swap in and out with an inventory screen, going along tBC's Deus Ex idea from earlier. Got a room of horrid baddies up ahead? Send your popguns back to Leela in exchange for your SPNKR and TOZT!

Eric5h5:

#39 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:14 PM

View PostFrost, on June 7th 2006, 02:29 PM, said:

Waitwaitwait, Batcat hasn't played Marathon? 50 POINT LOSS OF RESPECT FOR YOU!

What the...  Yeah, I take back everything nice I ever said about you, Batcat.  ;)  I thought you had far less weenieness than that weenie Blake Buck!

As much as the Halo concept of "only 2 weapons" was an interesting and sometimes fun antidote to the "hauling around 16 weapons plus ammo" silliness of Quake 2 et al, it's also not realistic, as mentioned already.  I mean, *I* can carry more than 2 weapons, and I'm not even a cyborg.  (Not, mind you, that I do.  Usually.)  Also the grenade system bugged me...it's fine that I couldn't have 100 of them at once (*cough*Quake 2*cough*), but if I can carry 4 impact grenades and 4 fusion grenades, why then couldn't I have 8 of one kind and 0 of the other?  Huh?

--Eric

#40 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:45 PM

I honestly think the best answer would be to outline what kind of load-bearing gear the character has and base what he can carry off of that. Maybe even base the whole inventory system off of that. That way you can carry whatever you want and as much of it as you want, as long as it'll all fit somewhere. It's realistic, could be made to work like a Deus Ex/NWN/whatever inventory system, and you end up being able to carry more of what you need than under a Halo system.

Granted it'd be less quick and arcade in handling, but c'mon. I'll take some speedy inventory management in order to carry those extra grenades and utilize my two drop-leg holsters to carry a couple extra sidearms!

Eric5h5: