Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:52 AM

View PostHoffer802, on January 25th 2008, 10:45 AM, said:

np =) I am constantly on the search to find something to keep me entertained here at school lol.  The idea sounded intriguing.  Still holding out for AoC though....will probably give warhammer a try, though looking down the road a ways, have you seen anything on the new Stargate mmorpg, there's also a Firefly based mmorpg! should be interesting.

This link says Fall 2008 if you can believe them.

#82 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

View PostHuntn, on January 25th 2008, 09:52 AM, said:

This link says Fall 2008 if you can believe them.

Yeah, I was hoping someone knew more details about the Firefly mmorpg.  Can't seem to find any info other than how great or bad of a gaming world the verse would make.  I feel that the Firefly one would be a tricky game because to be able to truly capture the charm of the show, I think they would have to implement both planet side exploration (on a massive scale) along with space exploration (on a massive scale).  I have never played starwars galaxies so I don't know how well the idea of having both planets and space to explore would be implemented.  I could see the Firefly game taking up like 40-60 gigs to install....and that would be ok with me lol.  As for Stargate I think it has a lot of potential depending on how they handle it, I know if they took advantage to the Stargate ideas and universe there could be a lot there.
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-Shiny, lets be bad guys ~Jane
-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#83 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:06 PM

These Age of Conan screenshots are looking fantastic. I wonder if the game play can live up to them?

More.

#84 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:09 PM

I recently looked at several videos for new games.

Chronicles of Spellborn

Age of Conan mounted combat and then this page with a variety of Age of Conan videos. This video really shows off AoC. It looks incredible.

I liked both games, but I've never seen anything like the mounted Age of Conan video before.

#85 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

Yeah AoC is the only reason I keep my 360 around these days...that and Mass Effect.  This Chronicles of Spellborn looks pretty interesting, will definitely have to keep an eye out on it....I am getting oh so tired of WoW...can't wait for some of these new mmorpg's to come out and hopefully freshen up the scene.

On a side note, I gave Pirates of the Burning Sea a try, definitely worth giving a shot if your tired of WoW.
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#86 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

View PostHoffer802, on March 25th 2008, 08:41 PM, said:

Yeah AoC is the only reason I keep my 360 around these days...that and Mass Effect.  This Chronicles of Spellborn looks pretty interesting, will definitely have to keep an eye out on it....I am getting oh so tired of WoW...can't wait for some of these new mmorpg's to come out and hopefully freshen up the scene.

On a side note, I gave Pirates of the Burning Sea a try, definitely worth giving a shot if your tired of WoW.

A google search pulled up a link saying that MS had approved the 360 version of AOC but I could not pull that link up. Another link said that the 360 version will use separate servers than the PC version. Most likely I'll be trying this out on my MBP and will also load it up on my P4 (if I've not built my new machine yet).

Here are some AoC System Requirements:

"Required
Processor: 3GHz Pentium IV
RAM: 1GB RAM
Video Card: Shader Model 2.0 and 128MB RAM: NVIDIA GeForce 5800 or ATI 9800

Recommended
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz (E6600) or better
Vdeo Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7950GX2 or better
RAM: 2GB or more

Enhanced for: DirectX 10, 64-bit processors, multi-core
Supports Parental Controls on Windows Vista "

#87 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

Yeah....I don't know though...I just get this nagging feeling that there is no way I could get AoC to look that good....and run decently on my macbook pro...then again I could be wrong.  Nice thing is with the console version there is no requirements =p, guess we'll have to see.

#88 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:08 PM

Hehe well I refuse to let this this topic die....and I refuse to drop AoC lol.

So I was considering pre-ordering AoC (coming out in 9 days if all goes to plan) and was wondering if anyone got in on the open beta they hosted this past weekend.  And if so....if they happened to try running it on their macbook pro.  If so I am very curious to hear how the game ran...I know I know... system specs are posted...but honestly I think system specs are complete crap these days.  I have tried games who's recommended requirements were well below my computers, and they have run like crap, and I have had games who have higher specs than my comp that run great....so yeah...I don't have much faith in todays info on the bottom of the box =).

Anyways if anyone has any news to report I would be very very grateful to hear all about it =).

#89 johnwillo

johnwillo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:47 PM

View PostHoffer802, on May 11th 2008, 09:08 PM, said:

Hehe well I refuse to let this this topic die....and I refuse to drop AoC lol.

So I was considering pre-ordering AoC (coming out in 9 days if all goes to plan) and was wondering if anyone got in on the open beta they hosted this past weekend.  And if so....if they happened to try running it on their macbook pro.  If so I am very curious to hear how the game ran...I know I know... system specs are posted...but honestly I think system specs are complete crap these days.  I have tried games who's recommended requirements were well below my computers, and they have run like crap, and I have had games who have higher specs than my comp that run great....so yeah...I don't have much faith in todays info on the bottom of the box =).

Anyways if anyone has any news to report I would be very very grateful to hear all about it =).

I pre-ordered AoC for the early access key.  Unfortunately, they had a limited number of early access slots.  This wasn't made exceptionally clear to most who pre-ordered, and now there's a large number of very angry folks who THOUGHT they were buying pre-order access.  Anyway, I didn't get in the early access program.  I was able to download the early access client, from a mirror somebody posted, but I will not be able to play the game until my retail copy arrives.  The consensus on the forums seems to be that a relatively recent MBP with 2 GB RAM or more, ought to be able to play the game adequately with the medium graphics settings.  Running the client (I can run it, but not connect), I'm told that my nVidia driver version 167.63 is "known to behave unstably with our game."  They recommend upgrading.  I tried using some installers that folks in the Mac Boot Camp community have put together with versions 169.21 and 174.93 of the nVidia drivers.  These cleared the warning dialog, but seemed to introduce audio skipping in the movies that play as the game launches.  I rolled back to 167.63, and I'll see how that works when I can actually play.  In addition, there is a problem with a black screen on launch, which is easily fixed with instructions from the forums.  (The first one listed here: http://forums.ageofc...ad.php?t=94081)

#90 johnwillo

johnwillo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

See this thread for some more Mac Boot Camp/AoC compatibility info:

http://forums.ageofc...ead.php?t=78351

#91 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:22 PM

View Postjohnwillo, on May 15th 2008, 09:47 PM, said:

I pre-ordered AoC for the early access key.  Unfortunately, they had a limited number of early access slots.  This wasn't made exceptionally clear to most who pre-ordered, and now there's a large number of very angry folks who THOUGHT they were buying pre-order access.
Of course they didn't make it clear. Otherwise the number of initial sales would be far lower than they ended up being. Its a marketing gimmick. But since they buried the text somewhere about being limit access slots, they are covered and can get away with it. Typical BS as expected from a game that is over hyped and put up on a pedestal as the second coming.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#92 johnwillo

johnwillo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

View PostFrigidman, on May 16th 2008, 11:22 AM, said:

Of course they didn't make it clear. Otherwise the number of initial sales would be far lower than they ended up being. Its a marketing gimmick. But since they buried the text somewhere about being limit access slots, they are covered and can get away with it. Typical BS as expected from a game that is over hyped and put up on a pedestal as the second coming.

No doubt.  My e-mail did include the phrase, "some limitations apply," and directs me to a website to read about the limitations.  I didn't check the site, so it's my fault that I didn't know to sign up immediately.  Many who purchased from different vendors either weren't advised of limitations, or did not receive the code that would allow them to sign up until after the EAP registration ended.  I am not surprised that they are upset.

I'm looking forward to the game, but I expect the first weeks or months to be a mess.  There is a lot of interest in the game, and I doubt that Funcom will have the server capacity to handle it well.

#93 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:45 PM

If there is a Trial, or Buddy Invite trial period system in place, then I will look into it. However I won't spend money on something I don't know if it will run well (to my tastes). As mentioned before about system specs being completely off the mark sometimes, you never know unless you can actually run the game (even in limited demo form).

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#94 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the info, hopefully I will be able to pick the game up within a few days of release, or perhaps some sort of trial upon launch would be cool.  I am hoping that as far graphics I'll be able to to get into to look as good as Lord of the Rings: Online and still maintain a decent FPS....though unfortunately this game will be going on an external hard drive (30 gigs is crazy high O.o).  Anyways heres to hoping that there will be a new mmorpg on the block that can at least stand somewhat up against WoW =p.

#95 johnwillo

johnwillo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

Well, I spent most of the day playing AoC on my MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM).  I used the "low" graphics settings, and got 14-18 fps out of doors and much higher indoors.  The game looked better than I thought it would on "low."  They're trying the photo-realistic thing, like LotRO, rather than the cartoon thing, like WoW.  They mostly pulled it off, though there were plenty of times where the frenetic activity of other players looked rather insect-like to me.  It's odd that I still perceive the exaggerated animation of WoW as more realistic than the more detailed graphics of other games.  Anyway, I think AoC pulled it off better than LotRO or Tabula Rasa, but it's definitely in the same style.

The active combat was good, so far at least. I don't know how I'll do with another twenty skills/spells added.  Every now and then you get a good critical hit, and your character laughs while gorily skewering an opponent.  Definitely earned the Mature rating.  Saw a few animated nipples and rumps, but the game doesn't try to (ahem) rub the adult stuff in your face.

I'm finding the quests interesting so far (I'm PvE all the way).  The game is not as n00b-friendly as WoW, but isn't bad if you've played other MMO's.

All in all, I'm pleased.  I'll keep playing it for a while and see if it supplants my other gaming interests.

#96 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:59 PM

Yeah I am in the same vote on my 2.33ghz mbp.  Averaging right around 20fps on the low settings.  

I must admit that I am truly enjoying this game, after talking to some player  who were part of the beta, I was told not to let the first 20 levels (which you spend on a small island called Tortage) bother you.  They say that as soon as you leave Tortage the game really really opens up.

Some of the features available to guilds (such as building entire guild fortresses) seem really cool, and I love the active combat system....no talking while fighting in this game lol.

Overall I think this game is a very viable escape from the monotony of raiding in WoW.  Greatly looking forward to getting off newbie island lol.

On a side note, I found it very interesting that the "Mature content" filter removes the blood spray on the screen but still allows female toons to run around topless....

Again though as John pointed out, the game doesnt flaunt this feature, and definitely only uses it to maintain the setting...I mean we are talking about the Conan Universe here =p.

Anyways I'll report back some more info as soon as I manage to get off of Tortage island lol.