#1 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:47 AM

I find these titles of high interest. Odds are currently low for most MMORPG Mac versions. Any others?

Updates:
12/07- List updated, Gods and Heros Cancelled, Tabula Rasa gone to Retail.
7/07- Sword of the New World status changed to retail.
10/1- Added AoC Player vs Player Siege Warfare link.

Quote:
From Guilds and Game Content: Our MMO lives are spent in daily monotony: we spend hours killing the same monsters in the same dungeons, weeks of adventuring profits are saved for a coveted new-new sword or breastplate. Guilds allow us companionship, teamwork, and a human element of excitement that would -otherwise be missing in our games.

MMOs
MMORPG.com-Good Source of MMO info.
RPGs- To see the list scroll down past the MMOs

MMORPG.con's Dec 2007 List of MMO's in development:
*Age of Conan- Spring 2008
*Aion
*Chronicles of Spellborn
*Darkfall
*Fallen Earth
*Hero's Journey
*Huxley
*Pirates of the Burning Sea
*SUN
*Star Trek Online
*Stargate Worlds
*Warhammer Online- Spring 08

Age of Conan
--- AOC screenshots.
*AoC Screens.
*GDC Preview:Age of Conan.
*Player vs Player Siege warefare.

The Chronicles of Spellborn. Release Date: TBA. Taking Beta Applications.

Gods & Heros- Title Cancelled.

Guild Wars 2- estimated 2008 release. Worth keeping an eye on.
-Press Release.

Hero's Journey- Starting to suspect vaporware by some of the talk in the MMORPG.com forums.

Huxley
*Huxley E3 2006 Preview

Pirates of the Burning Sea
*GDC PotBS Hands On Preview

Warhammer Online- Spring 2008 estimate.

RPGs
Fable- announced for Mac, slated Winter 07-Spring 08 release.
*IMG news story

Mage Knight: Apocalypse- 2007?

Eschalon:Book 1- 2007 Mac version in progress.

Sacred 2 Fallen Angel- 2008.

Released Titles
Tabula Rasa- MMO released Nov 2007
Lord Britain is involved!
Description: Tabula Rasa™ is a massively multiplayer online action game that takes you into the heat of battle at the frontlines of an epic war between a xenophobic alien race bent on galactic conquest and the coalition of rebel soldiers who've traveled across the galaxy to stop them.

Read the Hype:
Combining fast-paced action with the immersion of a role-playing game, Tabula Rasa takes the player on an intergalactic adventure where the individual has an opportunity to significantly impact the pace of battle on a global scale. Players enter the game as rebel soldiers wielding a variety of futuristic weapons, potent demolitions and the mystical power of “Logos.” It is up to each individual to use their stealth, ingenuity and skill to assist a ragtag coalition of rebels in their efforts to stop an enemy known for its intelligence and unyielding determination to enslave the Universe.
Huntn's Verdict: Disappointed!

Two Worlds- RPG released Aug 07.
5/07- A Look at Two Worlds.
5/07- Excerpt from the July07 PCGamer- Perhaps one of the most interesting things about TW is that both single-player and multiplayer (which plays just like a single-player campaign, but with more people) are persistent- in other words, everything you do has an impact on the world, even when you're playing online. It then goes to describe a case where a player using alchemy creates a potion and names it. This potion will have the name attached to it so when another person happens upon the same potion, he will get a message that he created "so and so's brew".

Sword of the New World- MMO. Allows participants to control 3 characters simultaneously.
-SotNW Developer Journal
Hunt'ns Verdict: Disappointed!

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion- takes top honors at Spike TV Awards!
Huntn's Verdict: Thumbs Up.

Lord of the Rings Online MMO
--Outstanding screenshots.
Released: April 07
Huntn's Verdict: Disappointed

Edited by Huntn, 20 January 2008 - 11:46 AM.

#2 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:25 PM

View PostHuntn, on June 1st 2006, 09:47 AM, said:

Any others?

I thought the problem was that there are way too many 'of high interest', and that hardly any have come out for Macs? Listing a few more in the pipeline (some liable to be cancelled, by past experience) is kind of pointless, especially since they're just more of the same.

#3 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:31 PM

View Postbobbob, on June 1st 2006, 03:25 PM, said:

I thought the problem was that there are way too many 'of high interest', and that hardly any have come out for Macs? Listing a few more in the pipeline (some liable to be cancelled, by past experience) is kind of pointless, especially since they're just more of the same.

Hmm, it is a problem that most MMOs are not appearing on the Mac, but this is the Windows gaming forum. Compared to the zillion MMOs in development my list is a small one. Hero's Journey is working on unique quest paths. My understanding is unique to each player. How unique they will really be I don't know but that makes it high interest imo. POTBS has a unique setting and goals. Warhammer looks alot like WoW qualifying it for interest. Maybe Vanguard is not so unique, but I know there is huge anticipation. Honestly I don't have it. Huxley is a shooter some have compared to Planetside, again rather unique for MMOs. How outstanding these titles turn out to be remain to be seen.

#4 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:45 PM

I didn't know that Huxley was a MMO, I had thought it was something like Savage, oh well, wrong again.

P.S. Bleach is the stupidest name ever, especially for a gun.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#5 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:53 PM

View PostAskilfeasd, on June 2nd 2006, 07:45 PM, said:

I didn't know that Huxley was a MMO, I had thought it was something like Savage, oh well, wrong again.

Huxley (as I said before in an other thread) is similar to PlanetSide which is MMOFPS. I first heard about Hexley back allmost 2 years ago I think, before E3 2005 though.
What is a man?

#6 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:52 AM

Yes, I know that it was a FPS, I just didn't realize it was a MMOFPS, I still think Project Offset looks much better, and they don't have stupid names like Bleach.(Yes, I REALLY hate that name.)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#7 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:09 PM

View PostAskilfeasd, on June 3rd 2006, 08:52 AM, said:

and they don't have stupid names like Bleach.(Yes, I REALLY hate that name.)

Because you are afraid of  TEH BLEACHSORZ!1!1
What is a man?

#8 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:13 PM

AGH! What the hell? They made a cartoon out of a cleanser? Just a question, do all the people in that picture drink bleach? Because they all look stoned.

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:33 PM

The red haired guy with the blue glasses, wearing the blue and gold shirt with a black skull on it...  what is that lacy looking lavender colored bit of clothing peeking out from the waistband of his trousers?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:48 PM

That is where he keeps his weapons! Every battle he reaches down into his (her?, I can never tell with anime) pants, and reveals his ultimate weapon! http://www.sweepdeal...mages/24271.gif
Anyway, these 2 comics from VG Cats basically sum up what I think of anime: http://www.vgcats.co...s/?strip_id=148
and
http://www.vgcats.co...s/?strip_id=145

#11 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:46 PM

View PostAskilfeasd, on June 7th 2006, 04:13 PM, said:

AGH! What the hell? They made a cartoon out of a cleanser? Just a question, do all the people in that picture drink bleach? Because they all look stoned.

Bleach isn't an element in the storyline, it's just a weird name for the Shonen.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on June 7th 2006, 07:33 PM, said:

The red haired guy with the blue glasses, wearing the blue and gold shirt with a black skull on it...  what is that lacy looking lavender colored bit of clothing peeking out from the waistband of his trousers?

Kurosaki Ichigo. BTW it's not red it's orange.
What is a man?

#12 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:47 PM

View PostIchigo27, on June 9th 2006, 07:46 AM, said:

Bleach isn't an element in the storyline, it's just a weird name for the Shonen.
Or, as a quick trip to Google revealed:

Why is Bleach called Bleach?
There is no official reason to why Bleach is called Bleach although there are a few theories put forward. The First being that when Japanese people bleach their hair occasionally it doesn't go so well and goes Orange rather than Blonde. Ichigo is attacked in one manga chapter by a guy claiming Ichigo stole his hair style (In fact the guy bleached his hair, Ichigo just had his normal hair). The third being that the Shinigami "Bleach" the souls of the hollows and spirits sending them to the afterlife, cleansing them.

View PostIchigo27 said:

it's orange.
Which is what people generally mean when they say someone has red hair.

#13 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:18 PM

View PostTesseract, on June 8th 2006, 05:47 PM, said:

Or, as a quick trip to Google revealed:

Why is Bleach called Bleach?
There is no official reason to why Bleach is called Bleach although there are a few theories put forward. The First being that when Japanese people bleach their hair occasionally it doesn't go so well and goes Orange rather than Blonde. Ichigo is attacked in one manga chapter by a guy claiming Ichigo stole his hair style (In fact the guy bleached his hair, Ichigo just had his normal hair). The third being that the Shinigami "Bleach" the souls of the hollows and spirits sending them to the afterlife, cleansing them.

Of course that's a possibility.

View PostTesseract, on June 8th 2006, 05:47 PM, said:

Which is what people generally mean when they say someone has red hair.

Yet his hair looks lighter then Orihimi's.
What is a man?

#14 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

It is stil called bleach, anything named after a cleanser has got to be as boring as hell, I mean come on, what is he going to do? Drip on your clothes?! OH TEH NOES!!!!

#15 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:01 PM

View Postbobbob, on June 1st 2006, 04:25 PM, said:

hrm, your thinking is quite reductive here. you should do your homework before passing judgment!

for instance, PotBS is using a cyclical model for its game so as to avoid the problem of never-ending grinds of repetitive content. every six weeks, a guild is declared "the winner" and the servers are reset. at each reset, new content will be introduced so that no two games will ever be alike. as well, the different servers will be offset by a couple of days or weks, allowing new players can get into the game on an equal footing and so that players can have multiple games going at different stages. besides this, the whole game is played as a ship, where well coordinated tactical and strategic fleet battles conducted by multiple players are the only way to defeat other players (although nothing is stopping you from trying to take on a whole fleet by yourself!).

its gonna be great, and certain not "just more of the same".

#16 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

Hambone,
Did you get into the POTBS beta? Just went to the Web Site and could not find a ship screen shot with players on it. So the burning question: Do multiple players man one ship or does each player have their own ship? I think it would be more impressive if multiple players manned a ship, and you actually shot out the sails, pull up along side, and boarded the other ship for some pvp  sword play? Or am I dreaming?

#17 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:56 PM

each player controls their own ship, but the sailing model is said to be quite accurate.

the player will have to take into account wind direction and speed, sail deployment, the shape, size and weight of their ship, gun configuration, and sea depth, and then coordinate maneuvers with the other players in his fleet. in other words, ship combat is going to be amazing.

there is a mechanism for "boarding" opponents ships and plundering their goods, but as yet it doesn't include any kind of hand-to-hand combat. the developers have confirmed that swordplay will definitely be added to the list of activities that the player can do in towns and cities, but I' not sure if or how the swordplay might figure into naval combat.

unfortunately, i am not yet in the beta. i tried to leverage myself as one of the few (?) Apple hardware users at this point, but no bites. from a comment one of the devs made in a thread i started on the official forums, it sounds like they want to test Apple hardware in-house before making it beta. i think this is a bit misguided, but FLying Lab Software is dedicated to making the finest game they can, and I understand their desire to maintain an image of quality (even for an unfinished beta).

#18 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:03 PM

View Posthambone, on June 10th 2006, 01:56 PM, said:

each player controls their own ship, but the sailing model is said to be quite accurate.

I was thinking that a group of players manning a single ship would be pretty impressive, but I can see some problems with that concept. :)

#19 Joe M.

Joe M.

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:06 PM

i thought i was done with MMOs. i was sure of it. i had that monkey straight off my back and into its cage.

then i downloaded the EQ2 trial. one word:

fire truck

(sorry to those with virgin ears, this is distressing)

edit: okay, that's one seriously awesome filter. thanks IMG rofl

#20 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:23 PM

Wasn´t their a Star Trek based one coming out in 2006?
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)