#21 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:30 PM

View PostMacADDICT, on May 30th 2006, 03:27 PM, said:

and u dont jsut enter the cd key ina nd play because?

You do both for multiplayer, unlike CoD and CoD:UO or the PC versions of CoD, CoD:UO, and CoD 2.  The authentication key is sufficient for anti-piracy.  If a key was spread out among the warez sites it would be simple to deactivate that key at the master server level.

#22 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:36 PM

View PostFortranDragon, on May 30th 2006, 01:21 PM, said:

Unless the multiplayer disc check is removed I don't plan on buying another Aspyr Mac game.  I have a PC and I will eventually have an Macintel so I have an alternative.  I'd prefer to have Mac native games, but I'm not going to be treated like a thief going forward.  Not when I can get a better experience on the PC side.  :sigh:
Just curious, since I can't remember off the top of my head- does the PC version of COD2 allow you to play without the CD inserted?
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#23 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:37 PM

The PC version requires the CD to be in.  I'm running it on my iMac.  it would be interesting to see a comparison of COD2 on an iMac running XP with the Mac version.  I read somewhere that the Mac version of Quake 4 was actually faster.

#24 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:38 PM

View PostDBSor, on May 29th 2006, 05:12 PM, said:

I received my DVD. Mac version is 1.0 (protocol 115), I hope update 1.2 will arrive soon with punkbuster support. There is no more a lot of servers in this firt protocol and a lot of cheaters on them :(
Glenda, do you know when Aspyr will release this patch ? PC users were very disappointed with the lack of anticheat system, it may be the same with mac users... A last effort Aspyr please :D

We're still waiting to get the 1.2 code from the original publisher/developer :(

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#25 Shi'an

Shi'an

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

View PostGlendaAdams, on May 31st 2006, 09:38 AM, said:

We're still waiting to get the 1.2 code from the original publisher/developer :(

Glenda

I take it the SMP patch will be part of this?
Any idea on an ETA?
I'd love to see what sort of difference it makes on the G5 tower.

I Have to say the game ran very well on my iMac and definately was smoother through the first part of the campaign than my friends PC's but the american campaign ran a lot chunkier than the rest. Most noticibly the first and last maps of the US campaign. Big outdoor maps with a lot going on.

What really made the game for me was the battle chatter though. The number of times I was wandering around aimlessly because I hadn't listened to the sarge when he was issuing orders only to be put back on the right track by my team mates telling me to hurry up and get such and such done :)
Great for people like me that have a habit of not listening to orders. So many times I have restarted levels to see the cut sceen at the beginning to find out what I should be doing. Didn't do this even once throught CoD 2!
Well you know you've taken gaming too far when you consider a birthday to be a "level up" and your kids as "NPCs"!
"The Battle Cat"

In search of the Perfect Game!

#26 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:15 PM

View PostShi'an, on May 31st 2006, 12:39 PM, said:

Any idea on an ETA?
It sounds to me like Aspyr should have received the code already but hasn't, so it's anybody's guess how much longer that will take. They can't possibly know how long it will take to port without seeing the code.

#27 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:29 AM

View PostGlendaAdams, on May 30th 2006, 06:36 PM, said:

Just curious, since I can't remember off the top of my head- does the PC version of COD2 allow you to play without the CD inserted?

The single player game requires the CD, but the multiplayer game does *not* require the CD.  I just tried it on my PC.  (I'm patched up to the current level.)

View Posttthiel, on May 30th 2006, 06:37 PM, said:

The PC version requires the CD to be in.

Only for the single player campaign.  The multiplayer side of the game doesn't.  (The key code you have to enter does the anti-piracy work.)

#28 napster14

napster14

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:12 AM

No windowed mode in multiplayer!
Please, i need windowed mode in multiplayer:( somebody knows how to fix this?

#29 Stecchino

Stecchino

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:08 PM

View Postnapster14, on May 31st 2006, 08:12 AM, said:

No windowed mode in multiplayer!
Please, i need windowed mode in multiplayer:( somebody knows how to fix this?

Have you tried hitting Apple-H?  That always works in Call of Duty and UO.

#30 paulc

paulc

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:39 PM

Funny, I haven't seen one mention of how different (and more limited) the whole save thing is from the original games.

Just started, but it also seems to jump from one campaign to another before finishing the first one... might get confusing as to the weapons, especially if one never played the first game.

Not bitching, but in both cases, I don't think different is better; but I think they are reasonably signifigant changes and am surprised no mentions...

#31 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:55 PM

View Postpaulc, on May 31st 2006, 01:39 PM, said:

Funny, I haven't seen one mention of how different (and more limited) the whole save thing is from the original games.

I've mentioned it in other threads (if only in passing).  Having only an autosave at specific spots not known to the player is a Bad Thing ™.  I guess no one at Infinity Ward has a real life and never, ever needs to get up from the computer/console while playing CoD 2.

#32 TheYAK

TheYAK

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:24 PM

Can CoD2 go wide screen? If so, what modes can you do?
Hows the on-line play been? Or do you need to wait for the patch?

#33 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:14 PM

View PostFortranDragon, on May 31st 2006, 03:55 PM, said:

I guess no one at Infinity Ward has a real life and never, ever needs to get up from the computer/console while playing CoD 2.
Or that's the way the code works when the biggest market is expected to be the consoles, and yours is a launch title? They lost their real lives between 1 & 2?

Usually when one needs to get up, one can hit '"pause," altho I do strongly favor more flexible save schemes.

#34 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:30 PM

View PostTheYAK, on May 31st 2006, 04:24 PM, said:

Can CoD2 go wide screen? If so, what modes can you do?
Hows the on-line play been? Or do you need to wait for the patch?

It will go widescreen, but it will only display the modes OS X 'sees' in the game menu.  I haven't tried changing the mode at the console.

The online play has been nice, but I miss a few things from CoD:UO.  Mainly the sprint, but also the rankings and vehicles.  Though being able to toss a grenade without having to switch to grenades as a weapon is much better.  I also like the regenerating health.  You never know just where your health is.  I find that adds to the tension of the game.

If you want to play on a Punkbuster enabled server you'll need to wait for the patch.  Infinity Ward seems to think the killcam is a sufficient anti-cheat method.  I don't understand that because very few servers enable that option.  Oh, don't be surprised if you can't use the smoke grenades.  Most servers seem to have disabled that, too.  That's too bad because having smoke grenades gives you a bigger reason to pick the weaker weapons.

View PostBatcat, on May 31st 2006, 06:14 PM, said:

Or that's the way the code works when the biggest market is expected to be the consoles, and yours is a launch title? They lost their real lives between 1 & 2?

Usually when one needs to get up, one can hit '"pause," altho I do strongly favor more flexible save schemes.

It is kind of hard to hit pause and leave the machine if you have to go somewhere else.  Or need to exit the game and run some other app...  :)

As far as saving goes, is there any current generation console that doesn't allow a save to a memory card or hard drive?  If this was CoD Atari 2600 edition I could see the lack of a user selectable save game option.

#35 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

View PostFortranDragon, on May 31st 2006, 06:30 PM, said:

Oh, don't be surprised if you can't use the smoke grenades. Most servers seem to have disabled that, too.  That's too bad because having smoke grenades gives you a bigger reason to pick the weaker weapons.
Probably the performance hit. Many smoke grenades at once can severely impact framerate.

It is kind of hard to hit pause and leave the machine if you have to go somewhere else.  Or need to exit the game and run some other app...  :)
This is true :), tho a longer pause than I first thought of from the description. I have left an Xbox running for several hours without noticeable hurt, tho turning off the display is a good idea.

As far as saving goes, is there any current generation console that doesn't allow a save to a memory card or hard drive?  If this was CoD Atari 2600 edition I could see the lack of a user selectable save game option.
Don't know. I'm not basically a console guy, and I'm not sure if I loathe checkpoint saves only more than I hate one single 'save & exit' per player profile. Grr.

#36 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

View PostBatcat, on May 31st 2006, 06:43 PM, said:

Don't know. I'm not basically a console guy, and I'm not sure if I loathe checkpoint saves only more than I hate one single 'save & exit' per player profile. Grr.

I don't mind checkpoint saves as a part of a well-rounded save system.  :)  I just want to save the game as suits my needs as a player.

I also agree that the "one single 'save & exit' per player profile" royally sucks.  It made sense when you were playing Rogue/Hack/NetHack on mainframes and minis when disk space was very expensive.  It doesn't make sense today.  Well, if you wanted a Diablo II style hardcore mode, yeah, I can see that.

#37 easy4lif

easy4lif

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:54 PM

OK, update.  I'm up to the American part of the game.  you have to beat the Russian & British parts inorder to play ameerican.  the First level is the D-day invasion ans made did that bring my machine to its knees.  BTW,  I had tweaked the setting a bit.  but yea,  all the action brought my machine to a crawl.  after that part of the game, (and setting everything back to original setting) i moved to the next task.  overall I'm liking the game more & more.  u need to aim more then I ever did in COD 1  and I do like the trench gun.  

but the one thing at annoys me still (sry aspyr)  HAVING TO INSERT THE DAM DVD FOR MULTIPLAYER

#38 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:17 PM

got it today and i'm so happy about how it performs on my G5 2.5 6800ultra with everything turned on and 1680x1050 resolution :)  WTG aspyr - great work!

#39 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:14 PM

I have found that the new damage system makes me act ridiculously brave/stupid: I'm happy to stick my head up into heavy fire and look around, because I know I can just hit the prone key if I get shot and I'll be fine.

I love being able to climb over obstacles. I like that enemies who are lying on the ground will pull out their pistol and shoot at you. And I like being able to carry mixed frag grenade types.

I don't like that enemies will get up and walk around after taking a rifle round through the gut (or both kneecaps) on Normal difficulty. And I don't really like that to carry a sidearm you have to give up one of your weapon slots.

#40 Amon CMB

Amon CMB

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:22 AM

Runs like butter on my 2.0 ghz dual core G5 with a GeForce 6600 LE.

Only one problem: setting the game on High quality rendering cripples the framerate immensely.  Normal setting is fine.  All other High graphics settings (textures, normal maps, etc) are fine.  High quality rendering = framerate crashes to 1/4 of its normal rate.

I REALLY miss the shadows, I wish there was a way to enable them without destroying my framerate.