200 replies to this topic

#1 easy4lif

easy4lif

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:28 PM

Well, I installed the game and I'll say the COD 2 runs very well (to me)  It defenately takes some getting used to the new phyisics engine.  I'll say that the only slow downs were during the INTENSE battle scenes in the open air.  there you could see that my computer struggled.  during scenes were the battle took place house to house it ra well without a problem.  I will say that the health thing kinda sucks.  theres no way to watch your health and the only indication that your in trouble is when your screen begins to have blood borders and the game tells you to find cover

Mulitplayer is ok, but those dam smipers ketp getting me more then usual.  wish a had a tank to blow them up with

Overall;  ME LIKIE!!! :D

My system

iMac G5 2Ghz, 2 GB Ram, Radeon 9600 with 128 vram

#2 easy4lif

easy4lif

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:21 PM

i just found out, if you make a copy of the game and try to run off that it won't let you. it asks you to insert the original DVD in order to play single player & multiplayer  I don't want to ruin the orginal so i guess i have little choice

BAD ASPYR :glare:  :wall:

#3 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:42 PM

View Posteasy4lif, on May 28th 2006, 02:21 PM, said:

More like bad people illegally copying games forcing Aspyr to do it.

#4 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:59 AM

well its not going to work thats for sure. out of interest I looked up on the net(if you dont know where im not going to tell you) for a quake 4 no-cd patch for mac after it was released (i cant even run the game, so dont worry, i didnt pirate it). It appeared after about a week...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#5 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:07 AM

I'm pretty sure it does "work" in the sense that less people run illegal copies of the game. Only a minority will go to the trouble of installing a no CD crack. Whether it actually increases sales is another question.

#6 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:29 AM

It certainly manages to annoy legitimate buyers.  I'm unconvinced that's the best solution.

--Eric

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:05 AM

Hopefully part of that solution will be for Aspyr to release a patch disabling the original-disk-in check after the game has been out for a while and sales will not be harmed that much by it.  I'd cheerfully put up with the extreme annoyance of not being able to play from a safe backup disk if it was a relatively short termed piracy measure.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:04 PM

I think that the main problem there is that the mac market just isnt and never has been geared towards quick sales and straight to bargain bin prices after a month. Its like that on PC, cos theres new games coming out constantly, but with 12 titles a year from aspyr, theres not as much choice, and so people dig deeper into the archives.

A good example of this is the steady sale of Halo which we see. Now, where is it in the PC charts? nowhere to be seen, but on MGF, you see the demo consistently in the most downloaded. Not to mention that CoD still sells quite strongly.

there must be some way that the game can unlock itself upon recognising the DVD, as with the Steam implementation for half-life 2. you only actually need to log in once a month to keep the game active, but if internet is there it will always connect. So perhaps you only need to insert the DVD once a week? or once every 10 launches? and then you can simply eject the disc as soon as the screen goes blank and carry on normally? of course, this would have to be made clear to the purchaser by something in the software...

and i doubt it does really work too well, if you consider that the downloads from certain sites probably include a crack, or are just the whole disk image... and to go to the lengths of downloading however many Gb to play the game illegally, why would you then not download and install a NoCD patch to make it work?

what works better is demos of games. Some people would justify their illegal download as a trial of the game. I personally did this with Halo, and stuck to it, I bought the game when I got round to it a week later. (if you dont believe me ill take a picture of myself holding the box, a newspaper from today, my passport and wearing a t-shirt that says I love life, and email it to you :P ) this was about a year prior to the demo being released. had the demo been released I would have played the level I wanted to play, sampled the net game and gone and bought it. As it was, I had to work all the way through to the Silent Cartographer just to play it, and couldnt play on the net cos of the illegal key I had at that point. But I wasnt happy with doing this (i wasnt sure if it would run well on my computer, or if id even like it), and definitely do not condone it in any way. Not to mention that my computer is now far to old to play anything that wasnt out for 2 years, so theres bound to be a demo of it somewhere...

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#9 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:40 PM

View Postteflon, on May 29th 2006, 04:04 AM, said:

and i doubt it does really work too well, if you consider that the downloads from certain sites probably include a crack, or are just the whole disk image... and to go to the lengths of downloading however many Gb to play the game illegally, why would you then not download and install a NoCD patch to make it work?
You're right, but in my experience more people get their illegal copies of games by borrowing the disc from a friend.

#10 easy4lif

easy4lif

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:58 PM

so, ive gotten to play this a little while longer and even thought i have to insert the DVD the game is quite fun to play.  its a little annying to hear everyone yelling and I tried tweaking the setting but my computer can't handle anything else except the default setting.  the graphics are very impressive but the multiplayer is . . .   meh.  if EA had kept the vehicles from COD:UO I'd be more interested in playing the mulitplayer version.  I'll stick to COD:UO for that.  I'll say that the gun Ive used most is the MP44.  its seems to have the best rate of fire for the game.  doesn't shoot too fast or slow, just right.  oh yea  the smoke grenades are a bit too real.

Last

the only reason I was disapointed about the no DVD copying of the game is because I always feel that I plunked down hard earned money for this stuff, and the last thing I want to do is damage these discs.  

REALLY LAST;

I won't be able to test the game on my macbook.  I got it last thursday & had to send it back friday.  After I did all the updates it needed,  i notiiced there was a tiny microscopic piece of black lint.  I tried to wipe it off but it wouldn't come off.  As i look at it from an angle,  there a GIANT surface scratch on my new macbook.  so I sent that machine back to apple and I should get a new one by this friday

#11 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:13 AM

View Posteasy4lif, on May 29th 2006, 12:58 AM, said:

...if EA had kept the vehicles from COD:UO I'd be more interested in playing the mulitplayer version.  I'll stick to COD:UO for that.
CoD2 + CoD2:UO = mo' money.

#12 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:31 AM

well i suppose that borrowing from a friend is hindered by this, but it took me years to find other people that actually used macs. And considering the very small penetration of the mac games industry into that small percentage of mac users (im not saying your experience is wrong here) id say its more likely that a person has to download the game rather than borrow it... but then there would be small groups of friends scattered around that borrow games from their friends...

i wouldnt know...

i dont have any :P

#13 Rank Xerox

Rank Xerox

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:28 AM

View Posteasy4lif, on May 28th 2006, 10:58 PM, said:

the graphics are very impressive but the multiplayer is . . .   meh.  if EA had kept the vehicles from COD:UO I'd be more interested in playing the mulitplayer version.  I'll stick to COD:UO for that.

These games isn't built for Multiplayer, it is just an option that all Single-Player games need to have to feel complete. The graphic is too demanding why games like CoD only can be played on shoebox maps with not more then 32 players on the same server to be playable. If you stretch the numbers to 64 will you lag heavily.

Only way to have bigger maps with thousands of players with long sight of views (i.e. more realistic gameplay with more immersion) as well as realistic sound with hundred of sources in the environment is to cut down on the graphics is the game shall be able to run on a desktop.

Hence, small maps gives us one of two things. Either a sniperfeast (not very funny), or if you have two teams of serious players that wants to behave according to realistic circumstances can you organise a tight Close-combat situation (very exiting).

But since the outcome of one map has no impact on the next map will it be just another repeat all over.

What I love for CoD is the very well done Singleplayer maps and missions. But for Multiplayer do I need something completely different, and more realistic. Not a Hollywood-movie experience.

#14 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:25 PM

COD:UO doesnt run for me in multiplayer it wont ever connect to servers

#15 DBSor

DBSor

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:12 PM

I received my DVD. Mac version is 1.0 (protocol 115), I hope update 1.2 will arrive soon with punkbuster support. There is no more a lot of servers in this firt protocol and a lot of cheaters on them :(
Glenda, do you know when Aspyr will release this patch ? PC users were very disappointed with the lack of anticheat system, it may be the same with mac users... A last effort Aspyr please :D
Free software for Call of Duty / United Offensive / Call of Duty 2 /Call of Duty 4: iClanASC
iClan member: CoD4-UO / UT (iClan|DBSor)

#16 Shagz

Shagz

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:25 PM

View PostMacADDICT, on May 29th 2006, 02:25 PM, said:

COD:UO doesnt run for me in multiplayer it wont ever connect to servers
  Make sure you are running the current version.  Also, you might not be able to connect to servers if you have downloading disabled as many servers are running 3rd party maps and/or mods.  I have had no trouble connecting at all.

Also, just an FYI, the many flavors of CoD are put out by Activision, not EA.  MoH is the EA franchise.
Sometimes I go into my own little world,
       but that's OK....they know me there!

#17 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:15 PM

View PostDBSor, on May 30th 2006, 10:12 AM, said:

I hope update 1.2 will arrive soon with punkbuster support. There is no more a lot of servers in this firt protocol and a lot of cheaters on them :(
Glenda, do you know when Aspyr will release this patch ?
By my count it was 17 days from the release of the PC Quake 4 1.2 patch to when Aspyr released the Mac version. Apparently there were unexpected issues that kept cropping up, so hopefully the CoD 2 patch will be done even more quickly.

#18 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:46 PM

Anybody out there try this on a G4? Is it playable at all, or am I condemned to waiting for my MacPro Tower?
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#19 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:21 PM

View Posteasy4lif, on May 27th 2006, 11:21 PM, said:

i just found out, if you make a copy of the game and try to run off that it won't let you. it asks you to insert the original DVD in order to play single player & multiplayer  I don't want to ruin the orginal so i guess i have little choice

Absolutely.  The multiplayer game *already* has an anti-piracy mechanism in the key code.  Forcing people to put in the DVD to play multiplayer is just an big insult to their customers.  I sure as hell don't have to do this with my PC version of CoD 2.  (For the record, while I don't like a key disc for the single player game, I can and do live with it.)

Unless the multiplayer disc check is removed I don't plan on buying another Aspyr Mac game.  I have a PC and I will eventually have an Macintel so I have an alternative.  I'd prefer to have Mac native games, but I'm not going to be treated like a thief going forward.  Not when I can get a better experience on the PC side.  :sigh:

#20 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:27 PM

and u dont jsut enter the cd key ina nd play because?