28 replies to this topic

#21 Spenser Yo

Spenser Yo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:35 PM

haven't read all of the above posts but maybe this will help :)
http://support.intel...b/CS-021400.htm

i think this is the right processor, if not feel free to tell me.
siggy.sig
MacBook
2.0Ghz Dual Core
1Gb RAM
80GB HD
OWnage

#22 valkan

valkan

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:22 PM

View PostSpenser Yo, on June 7th 2006, 02:35 PM, said:

I saw the compatability list.  

Then I saw this post on apple's support site.  

The link that he gives also leads to here .

Some workarounds to the problems that Oblivion faces on the macbook.

#23 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:34 AM

View PostSpenser Yo, on June 7th 2006, 04:35 PM, said:

Thanks Spenser, I'll add this to the Windows Gaming FAQ.

View Postvalkan, on June 8th 2006, 12:22 AM, said:

I saw the compatability list.  
Then I saw this post on apple's support site.  
The link that he gives also leads to here .
Some workarounds to the problems that Oblivion faces on the macbook.

Thanks Valkan, I'm putting these links into the Oblivion FAQ and the Windows Gaming FAQ.

#24 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:05 AM

View Postbobbob, on May 26th 2006, 11:11 PM, said:

Say what you want about 'even the iBook', but the MacBook does have a better CPU. The iBook just sucked all around.

I went back to that link, and I don't see any iBook data there although it's mentioned in the title. They say they removed the iBook data until they do some retesting.

#25 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:55 AM

View PostHuntn, on May 26th 2006, 11:37 PM, said:

Frankly that is disappointing. I was checking out a MacBook in the Apple Store and in the profiler it indicates a card with 64MB VRAM. So while that memory might be integrated into the main system memory, I imagined it would provide decent gaming performance. But this link makes it look like Apple has nerfed the MacBooks. Even the iBook out performs the MacBook???

At the risk of repeating myself, the amount of memory that the video card reserves for itself is not an indicator of how well it will perform, whether that memory be dedicated or not. The integrated video chip could reserve >1Gb of system memory and it would still perform poorly, just as a 100Mhz G4 equipped with 10, 100, or 1000Gb of memory would still be slow by today's standards.

And to address the more general discussion - Apple hasn't crippled the MacBooks for gaming, since they were never a good choice for that. The iBook did not impress with the games that were current for the time, and the MacBook doesn't for today's. What they have done is given them a quite good processor for the price, making them an excellent choice for practically anything other than gaming.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#26 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:47 PM

View Postnobody, on June 8th 2006, 12:55 PM, said:

At the risk of repeating myself, the amount of memory that the video card reserves for itself is not an indicator of how well it will perform, whether that memory be dedicated or not. The integrated video chip could reserve >1Gb of system memory and it would still perform poorly, just as a 100Mhz G4 equipped with 10, 100, or 1000Gb of memory would still be slow by today's standards.

And to address the more general discussion - Apple hasn't crippled the MacBooks for gaming, since they were never a good choice for that. The iBook did not impress with the games that were current for the time, and the MacBook doesn't for today's. What they have done is given them a quite good processor for the price, making them an excellent choice for practically anything other than gaming.

Did someone respond to my post? Naw, it was nobody....

Has that joke all ready been made? :D

Seriously thanks for the info!

#27 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

View PostHuntn, on June 9th 2006, 05:47 AM, said:

Did someone respond to my post? Naw, it was nobody....

Has that joke all ready been made? :D
Just don't commit the grave faux pas of confusing nobody with No One.

#28 Lord Heavy

Lord Heavy

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:14 AM

I thought I'd reply from the perspective of someone who owns a MacBook, as there are a lot of assumptions about its performance in this thread that aren't 100 per cent accurate...

I've only recently put Windows on my MacBook - I was so disappointed at its speed out of the box in the Mac OS, I couldn't even think about Boot Camp. However, after ramming it up to the 2gb limit, it's a different machine. What an improvement!

So, Boot Camp ahoy, and I've been massively impressed by the results. Being a racing fan, I immediately tried GT Legends. This was unplayable on my PC - 2.4ghz P4, 1gb RAM, 256mb graphics card. Not the latest or greatest by any stretch of the imagination, but the MacBook totally destroys it. I was astonished!

Two year old PC games will play at maximum everything with excellent frame rates. GT Legends, which is a real fps killer, plays very, very well - settings on medium-high, with no obvious frame dropping or lag and plenty of cars on track. :)

F1C 99-02, which has got a crazy amount of mods available, plays at breakneck speed with everything maxed.

And of course it works with my PC wheel! :)

My only problem so far has been Brothers In Arms - the first game, Hill 30. It loads to a blank screen when there should be menus visible, but I've read on support forums that this game can be very fussy about processors, so maybe this is no surprise.

I can get some screens and frame rates together if there's interest.

So, does anyone want to buy my PC?!  :lol:

To sum up, within context the MacBook is actually a surprisingly good gaming machine! In fact, it's a better Windows laptop than Mac one...  :unsure: Yikes!
Mac Pro Quad Xeon Intel 5100 2.66ghz|2gb RAM|nVidia 8800GT 512mb|4 x 250gb  SATAII
MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2ghz|4gb RAM|Intel GMA 950 64mb|80gb SATA

#29 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:33 PM

View PostLord Heavy, on July 10th 2006, 08:14 AM, said:

I thought I'd reply from the perspective of someone who owns a MacBook, as there are a lot of assumptions about its performance in this thread that aren't 100 per cent accurate...
To sum up, within context the MacBook is actually a surprisingly good gaming machine! In fact, it's a better Windows laptop than Mac one...  :unsure: Yikes!

That sounds impressive. It would be interesting to see how Half Life 2 plays on it.