9 replies to this topic

#1 Aika

Aika

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:18 PM

Does anyone else have problems with their iMac keyboard randomly disconnecting in XP? I hear the windows sound for a device being removed and the caps lock light stays on. The only way to solve this is to unplug and plug back in again the keyboard which is of a bit of a hassle. It also disconnects the mouse if it's plugged into the keyboard but the mouse will never disconnect itself if it has it's own USB port.

I used to have similar problems under OS X but 10.4.6 fixed that.
iMac late 2013

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:25 AM

I used to have this problem occasionally in Windows on a PC.  The drivers are crashing, at least they were for me your situation might be different.  Aren't you glad your Mac drivers don't crash?  What a world that would be.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on May 15th 2006, 12:25 AM, said:

Aren't you glad your Mac drivers don't crash?  What a world that would be.
I've had it happen. Studies have shown that drivers have a greater defect density than any other kernel code. There's a reason why Apple is pushing for developers to make user level drivers whenever possible.

#4 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:13 PM

View PostAika, on May 13th 2006, 07:18 PM, said:

Does anyone else have problems with their iMac keyboard randomly disconnecting in XP? I hear the windows sound for a device being removed and the caps lock light stays on. The only way to solve this is to unplug and plug back in again the keyboard which is of a bit of a hassle. It also disconnects the mouse if it's plugged into the keyboard but the mouse will never disconnect itself if it has it's own USB port.

I used to have similar problems under OS X but 10.4.6 fixed that.

i was having the same problem. its really fire trucking annoying when your playing a game and you just freeze their while everybody takes their shots at you.

BTW: for some reason in OS X when i dont use my computer for a period of time my mouse and keyboard stop working as well. TBC is probably right- the drivers are crashing. although i noticed that this only started happening after i installed the 10.4.6 update.

#5 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:42 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on May 15th 2006, 08:13 PM, said:

BTW: for some reason in OS X when i dont use my computer for a period of time my mouse and keyboard stop working as well. TBC is probably right- the drivers are crashing. although i noticed that this only started happening after i installed the 10.4.6 update.

Sometimes when I restart my computer, my BT keyboard doesn't reconnect and I need to mess around with it for a while before it reconnects. This only happens about 1/5 of the time, and fortunately I only restart my computer after running software updates.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#6 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:41 AM

View PostLemon Lime, on May 16th 2006, 10:13 AM, said:

for some reason in OS X when i dont use my computer for a period of time my mouse and keyboard stop working as well. TBC is probably right- the drivers are crashing. although i noticed that this only started happening after i installed the 10.4.6 update.
This is after installing the keyboard update, yes?

#7 chris409

chris409

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:33 PM

I'm having the same problem with my 20" Intel Imac.  The problem used to occur both in OS X and Bootcamp, but since the keyboard update, the problem now only occurs in Bootcamp.  

The disconnects happen quite often (had to replug the keyboard just to type this post).  I suppose the keyboard update fixed the issue in OS X only.

I may try getting a different non-Apple USB keyboard to see if it makes any difference.  I've been searching the net to see if others are having this problem.

#8 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:13 PM

View PostTesseract, on May 16th 2006, 01:41 AM, said:

This is after installing the keyboard update, yes?

yep. installed and still dose it. just reconnected by keyboard to do this post.

#9 chris409

chris409

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:14 PM

Interesting...

I was advised by another iMac user to plug my keyboard into my powered USB 2.0 hub (I just happen to have one).  So far, it seems to be working for me.  I'll check back in a few hours to let you know whether the problem stayed gone or returned.

#10 chris409

chris409

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:58 PM

View Postchris409, on May 17th 2006, 09:14 PM, said:

Interesting...

I was advised by another iMac user to plug my keyboard into my powered USB 2.0 hub (I just happen to have one).  So far, it seems to be working for me.  I'll check back in a few hours to let you know whether the problem stayed gone or returned.

I'm pleased to report that the keyboard has not disconnected since I tried this.  And if it ever does come back, there still has been a drastic improvement.  Looks like it has resolved the issue for me.