Jump to content


Oblivion Tips and Cheats FAQ


  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:08 PM

Added Magic Armor and Clothing at UESP.net wiki.

#42 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:42 AM

12/13- Where's my horse? info added.

#43 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:09 AM

Added these points to the "Is Oblivion a good game" section-

Good Points:
new* Outstanding level linearity, a wide open, go anywhere world. Quest chains tend to be more linear, but some quests objectives (for example having to explore multiple dungeons to satisfy one quest) can be done in any order of your preference.


Bad Points:
new* Too many Oblivion gates to close, too much all most identical content based on those gates, and they can be ignored without any consequences to the Province of Cyrodiil.
new* A static world. NPCs do have routines, you can complete quests and raise your stats, but nothing else changes regardless of what the character does. I know of one example where you help 2 brothers take back their farm. And if you come back later, they actually have fixed it up but this is a minor exception.

#44 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:29 PM

12/27- Added new spell links and section on spells.

#45 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:45 PM

1/2/07- Added Main Quest info in the Specific Quest section. Definitely a spoiler.

#46 Atticus

Atticus

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Location:Sternum's Ribcage

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

OK, so I have a couple of questions:

1) What's the best way to earn gold (aside from using the cheat code)? Stealing stuff and selling it? The manual makes no reference to the world economy or how to earn $$$.

2) I'm confused about levelling up (I'm still stuck on, um, level 1)--the manual sez the best way to level is to improve your major skills. But then I've read in a couple places that to level up, you sleep. Huh? So which is it? I've slept a few times, but nothing has happened.

Thanks....

Atticus
Who's trying really hard to like Oblivion
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#47 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:40 PM

View PostAtticus, on January 7th 2007, 12:23 PM, said:

OK, so I have a couple of questions:

1) What's the best way to earn gold (aside from using the cheat code)? Stealing stuff and selling it? The manual makes no reference to the world economy or how to earn $$$.

2) I'm confused about levelling up (I'm still stuck on, um, level 1)--the manual sez the best way to level is to improve your major skills. But then I've read in a couple places that to level up, you sleep. Huh? So which is it? I've slept a few times, but nothing has happened.

Thanks....

Atticus
Who's trying really hard to like Oblivion

Best way to earn gold legitimately is by alchemy. You can make tons of gold, creating potions and selling them. Make sure your always collecting plants and items off mobs, like teeth, skin, and such when you can.

When you've earned enough xp, a level up icon appears at the bottom of your screen. When that icon appears, make sure you check your character stats (to be sure your not infected with vampire disease as described in the FAQ) and then take a nap.  At the end of your sleep, a screen appears allowing you to pick the attribute you want to increase.

note: If your infected and sleep, you are now stuck being a vampire unless you go back to a previous save or go through the vampire cure quest. I've heard it's not pretty.

The deal about leveling correctly is also described in the FAQ. Those players who are not fighting much but are doing lots of other things to get xp can find themselves in a bind if they level up based on other than fighting skills. Pretty soon the mobs will be kicking your butt. At any time you can open you character stats and select the 3 horizontal colored bars to see where your skills are at. As a rule, after my level up icon appears, I make sure I go do a couple more dungeons to get max fighting xp before sleeping.

#48 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:45 PM

1/7- Added Main Quest climax info SPOILER. I still love this game all though sometime I wonder why because this is the kind of convention in a game that really drives me loco. But still I feel a sense of relief having save the empire- Hazza!

#49 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:44 AM

Added these comments to "Oblivion is it a good game?" section.

Pro
new *Dynamic Combat- Real fights where your ability to move, block, and counter makes a difference.
new *Nice Camera- 1st or 3rd person complete freedom in all directions, no muss, no fuss.

Oblivions lesser points (depending on your preference)-
* Combat
new -- Some players won't like Dynamic Combat and prefer the roll-the-dice aspect of Dungeons and Dragons type combat.
new* Main Quest finale will be a disappointment to some players.

#50 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:13 PM

1/10- Added a new blurb: Strategy Guide- Do Ya Need One?

#51 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

I think I've already said this, but it needs stating again, I'm constantly amazed at how great this guide you've made is, keep it up! ;)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#52 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:22 PM

View PostStopDropBurn, on January 10th 2007, 09:15 PM, said:

I think I've already said this, but it needs stating again, I'm constantly amazed at how great this guide you've made is, keep it up! ;)

Thank you very much for the accolades. (Huntn bows)

BTW I just added a paragraph in the Combat Section comparing Dynamic Combat to D&D Combat.

#53 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:35 AM

I don't think that in Oblivion combat(as long as you're not a wizard) you don't have to move, you can just sit there are "block, attack, block, attack", moving is not neccessary, and even not helpful in a one-on-one fight, just my opinion though. :)
Oh, you might also want to change "D&D combat" to "NWN combat", because I play D&D, and the combat is nothing like NWN.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#54 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:27 AM

View PostStopDropBurn, on January 11th 2007, 07:35 AM, said:

I don't think that in Oblivion combat(as long as you're not a wizard) you don't have to move, you can just sit there are "block, attack, block, attack", moving is not neccessary, and even not helpful in a one-on-one fight, just my opinion though. :)
Oh, you might also want to change "D&D combat" to "NWN combat", because I play D&D, and the combat is nothing like NWN.

Lets talk about this. :)

D&D started as a board game with very specific rules, including the roll of the dice. NWN is based on D&D rules which may feel very different than how combat is implemented in the  D&D MMORPG, if that is what your referring to? This wiki link shows what games have been based on D&D. I'm also looking around for a link the describes the D&D combat system and how it works. I'm not claiming to be a D&D expert since I've never played it. If my description is in error, someone please clarify for me. Maybe I need to change the description?

As far as moving in Oblivion, it's not necessary unless your about to die, but it's very helpful to minimize damage which overall helps you be victorious! What would you do in real life- move around or just stand there and take it? When an adversary is moving towards you with the intent to inflict bodily harm and you don't want to be hit, you can simply backup when he starts to swing. If a spell is shot at you, sidestepping can avoid it. Sure you can stand there and take whatever punishment is being dealt, but I like dodging a strike. It reduces my damage and I can thumb my nose at them. ;) At one point in the game with my first character, I did not level up properly and was underpowered against the bad guys. In that case, if I did not move, I died or had to start running very fast.

How is this different than NWN? I don't think moving in NWN or even in WoW makes any difference, although I have not tried dodging a spell in NWN2 yet. In WoW it's just about impossible to avoid a spell by moving. It just curves around and gets you.

#55 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:22 AM

View PostHuntn, on January 11th 2007, 09:27 AM, said:

Lets talk about this. :)

D&D started as a board game with very specific rules, including the roll of the dice. NWN is based on D&D rules which may feel very different than how combat is implemented in the  D&D MMORPG, if that is what your referring to? This wiki link shows what games have been based on D&D. I'm also looking around for a link the describes the D&D combat system and how it works. I'm not claiming to be a D&D expert since I've never played it. If my description is in error, someone please clarify for me. Maybe I need to change the description?

As far as moving in Oblivion, it's not necessary unless your about to die, but it's very helpful to minimize damage which overall helps you be victorious! What would you do in real life- move around or just stand there and take it? When an adversary is moving towards you with the intent to inflict bodily harm and you don't want to be hit, you can simply backup when he starts to swing. If a spell is shot at you, sidestepping can avoid it. Sure you can stand there and take whatever punishment is being dealt, but I like dodging a strike. It reduces my damage and I can thumb my nose at them. ;) At one point in the game with my first character, I did not level up properly and was underpowered against the bad guys. In that case, if I did not move, I died or had to start running very fast.

How is this different than NWN? I don't think moving in NWN or even in WoW makes any difference, although I have not tried dodging a spell in NWN2 yet. In WoW it's just about impossible to avoid a spell by moving. It just curves around and gets you.

In the actual game of D&D(as of version 3.5) moving around DOES help, it's not a 'sit-there-and-whack' sort of game, compared to Oblivion, it's much more dynamic, while NWN uses a D&D-like SYSTEM, it's not actually anything like D&D, which is why I don't think NWN has a D&D-like feel to it.
Though I agree, you don't really have to move in NWN or WoW.

Anyway, as to the D&D combat system, it's not nearly as much of "luck of the die" as many people think, your tactical skills and the ability to use teamwork play a huge role in whether you're going to win or not.(it also depends on how evil the GM is)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#56 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts
  • Location:MI

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:14 AM

View PostStopDropBurn, on January 11th 2007, 08:22 AM, said:

In the actual game of D&D(as of version 3.5) moving around DOES help,

I couldnt disagree more.  Moving around in d20 (i will NOT use the venerated D&D name on that pile of convoluted, powergaming snot) is a sure way to comit suicide.

NWN accurately reflects this.

#57 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:30 AM

While yes, 2nd Edition is better than 3rd, if you don't move around in 3rd Edition, you'll die about 30 seconds into the first fight, o' course, it all depends on the GM, the setting, and what you're fighting. :)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#58 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts
  • Location:MI

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:29 PM

moving in combat in d20 provokes attacks of opportunity, which are a great way, especially at low levels, to get murdered post haste.  

I dont see how you can believe that you need to move.  In fact, there are a lot of things (say, i want to make attacks of opportunity on others, or threaten an area) that are really powerful that you CANT move and do... like a Full Attack action.

#59 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

Like I said, it all depends on what rules you're using, the GM, and the setting, when it comes to stuff like that, we often decide to "forget" certain rules to make the gameplay smoother.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#60 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts
  • Location:MI

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

View PostStopDropBurn, on January 11th 2007, 01:09 PM, said:

Like I said, it all depends on what rules you're using, the GM, and the setting, when it comes to stuff like that, we often decide to "forget" certain rules to make the gameplay smoother.

All core rules from the d20 3.5 PHB.  And, IMO, the moment you start changing the rules or modifying things for your game, you cant really use that as an argument about the system.  Enough though, if you want to talk about tha we can do it over PMs or something, instead of hijacking this thread