Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:29 AM

View Postnobody, on May 16th 2006, 07:37 AM, said:

It's the quest from Nocturnal's shrine, which is north east of Leyawin. Ask mages about Daedric shrines, and they'll mark them on your map.

Thanks kingauthor and nobody for the help!

Wasn't the group who killed the Emperor devotees of Daedra? Based on the strategy guide I know there are Daedric quests. I wonder if you become a member or how this plays against the main quest?

#22 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:27 PM

I played Oblivion at my local games shop for about 45 minutes using a new and a saved character around level 15.

i thought the game was very pretty and it was just fun to roam around and explore, but i really hate how basically the same corny combat model has been re-rolled from Morrowind. the dynamic difficulty thing is also a major PITA as far as i am concerned (and yes, i am aware that it can be adjusted). it might not sound too empirical, but i just don't really like the "feel" of a lot of Bethesda games, including MOrrowind and Oblivion. i'm not really all that interested in deconstructing why that is either. :D

personally, i'm more looking forward to Ubi's upcoming Dark Messiah. The combat looks a lot more interesting and the environments quite dynamic. there is a big gameplay movie at kotaku.com if you are interested.

#23 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:42 AM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on May 10th 2006, 09:03 PM, said:

What do you think of Oblivion?

I haven't played much of it. Infact i haven't really played any at all, I think it's ok. i will have a better post soon. i thought the music in Morrowind is better than Oblivion and some other aspects like how Morowind takes you somewhere else when you play it while Oblivion i found doesn't really do it for me as much; though the graphics are alot better.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#24 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:08 AM

yeah liberator a certain someone told me you spent all the time you had naming your character in the end the best you came up with was

"lindis Quener" :lol:

but yeah morrowind is so much more of an exotic land

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#25 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:44 AM

View Posthambone, on May 16th 2006, 06:27 PM, said:

I played Oblivion at my local games shop for about 45 minutes using a new and a saved character around level 15.

i thought the game was very pretty and it was just fun to roam around and explore, but i really hate how basically the same corny combat model has been re-rolled from Morrowind. the dynamic difficulty thing is also a major PITA as far as i am concerned (and yes, i am aware that it can be adjusted). it might not sound too empirical, but i just don't really like the "feel" of a lot of Bethesda games, including MOrrowind and Oblivion. i'm not really all that interested in deconstructing why that is either. :D

personally, i'm more looking forward to Ubi's upcoming Dark Messiah. The combat looks a lot more interesting and the environments quite dynamic. there is a big gameplay movie at kotaku.com if you are interested.

For anyone with both M&O experience- So besides Oblivion having better NPC routines while Morrowind NPCs appear as talking statues, which game Oblivion or Morrowind has better overall game play? I've not played Morrowind, but Oblivion combat seems dynamic- move, block, time blows, no? Please answer in this thread.

#26 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:52 AM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on June 6th 2006, 07:08 PM, said:

yeah liberator a certain someone told me you spent all the time you had naming your character in the end the best you came up with was
"lindis Quener" :lol:

did you get my email about changing my hotmail adress? if you did, think about it for a moment please, give me mercy. I can't think up very good names. :o

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#27 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:11 PM

I've gotten into a rut running through and closing the Oblivion gates in Elder Scrolls 4. It's all most like the gates are ruining this nice setting for me even though that is the main premise of the story, and, and my character is ugly!

I'm thinking I'm going to try to get one of these mods such as Ren's Beauty Packs and then start the game over, just ignore the initial gate and play all of the quests around the Province of Cyrodiil. My impression is there is no penalty for ignoring a gate and no more will pop up until you close the first gate allowing you to do much of the game and not worry about gates at all.

Does anyone else feel like this or am I a little bonkers?
Has anyone successfully installed Ren's Beauty Pack and care to talk about it?

Thanks!

#28 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

I make my guy as ugly as possible, I have a giant head, a small nose, elephant ears, low cheekbones, and a multicolored face with cornrows.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#29 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:03 PM

View PostAskilfeasd, on August 17th 2006, 09:09 PM, said:

I make my guy as ugly as possible, I have a giant head, a small nose, elephant ears, low cheekbones, and a multicolored face with cornrows.

Using Ren's Beauty Pack and the Custom Character fix, just made a pretty character. :D See the Oblivion FAQ in this section.

#30 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:29 AM

View PostAskilfeasd, on August 17th 2006, 09:09 PM, said:

I have a giant head, a small nose, elephant ears, low cheekbones, and a multicolored face with cornrows.
...but what about your character? :o

#31 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:22 AM

Oh my CHARACTER, he is gorgeous. :)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#32 Mattg

Mattg

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:08 AM

View PostHuntn, on August 17th 2006, 04:11 PM, said:

Has anyone successfully installed Ren's Beauty Pack and care to talk about it?

I installed one called "Adventures Oblivion". It does the same thing as Ren's, basically removing the main quest. As an added bonus it starts you off on the southern edge of the map, with nothing more that the clothes on your back and a small dialog screen saying you've recent arrived from abroad. Of course this is just like Morrowind, only without the whole prisoner thing. In my opinion the main quest was pointless, and made so little sense it actually broke my sense of immersion. At any rate, taking those stupid and repudiative Oblivion quests off the table was a blessing.

For what it's worth, my only real gripe with Oblivion has been the complete lack of objectivity by the gaming press. While Oblivion is large, ambitious, and one of a kind, it's simply not the revolutionary and show stopping title I hoped it would be. The games hand holding alone is enough to knock it into the 80's, but for some reason the gaming press thought it would be a good idea to wear the kid gloves and gloss over the games many short comings.

Oblivion is far from perfect, but if you relied on the gaming press you'd think it was the best game ever. To make matters worse, when you read developer journals and the like you get the feeling they think it's the best game made ever too. That's fine, but I would hope they'd be a bit modest and realize they've missed the mark in many ways.

In short, I hope Bethesda takes a 'Back to the Drawing Board' instead of a 'More of the same' approach to their next RPG. I have a sneaking suspicion a huge volume of Oblivion's sales came from gamers like me--people who enjoyed the game, but won't find any value in more of the same. The gaming press seems to be hedging their bets, assuming gamers like me will be waiting at the trough when the next game is announced--they will be disappointed.

#33 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:47 PM

Assuming it's like Morrowind, there'll be a couple of expansion packs before the next game. By then the whole industry may have turned to the idea of episodic content instead of monolithic blockbusters.

#34 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:10 AM

View PostMattg, on September 4th 2006, 11:08 AM, said:

I installed one called "Adventures Oblivion". It does the same thing as Ren's, basically removing the main quest. As an added bonus it starts you off on the southern edge of the map, with nothing more that the clothes on your back and a small dialog screen saying you've recent arrived from abroad. Of course this is just like Morrowind, only without the whole prisoner thing. In my opinion the main quest was pointless, and made so little sense it actually broke my sense of immersion. At any rate, taking those stupid and repudiative Oblivion quests off the table was a blessing.

I just restarted Oblivion and am ignoring the main quest other than finding the emperor's son in Kvatch so I can get a free horsey. On my initial play of the game, I entered 2 gates. Upon arrival at the second gate, my enthusiasm for closing gates plummeted. I agree there is a high level of repetition. It's like doing the same instance in WoW over and over and as far as instances go, it's not all that good. Especially galling (as far as I  can tell) is that you can totally ignore gates without consequences- a serious flaw in game logic imo.

Actually Ren's is a beauty pack. I was unaware of any effect it has on the main quest. Do you by chance remember where you found "Adventures Oblivion"? I'll start looking. Does it work ok? Of course the other option is to just ignore the main quest and play through the game, but seeing a gate always makes you feel a little guilty that your shirking your duty. ;)

#35 Mattg

Mattg

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:34 PM

View PostHuntn, on September 5th 2006, 06:10 AM, said:

Especially galling (as far as I  can tell) is that you can totally ignore gates without consequences- a serious flaw in game logic imo.
Don't you just love that? A reviewer over at the rpg codex picked up on that same point, noting that the "Oblivion Invasion" was nothing more than monsters standing around doing nothing next to Oblivion Gates.

View PostHuntn, on September 5th 2006, 06:10 AM, said:

Actually Ren's is a beauty pack. I was unaware of any effect it has on the main quest. Do you by chance remember where you found "Adventures Oblivion"? I'll start looking. Does it work ok? Of course the other option is to just ignore the main quest and play through the game, but seeing a gate always makes you feel a little guilty that your shirking your duty. ;)

http://www.bncomputi...dventurers.html

Actually, my bad--Adventures Oblivion is not the mod that removes the main quest and starts you in a different area, it balances the game out to be more fun/realistic.  I cannot remember the name of the main quest killer, but one should be easy to find, because hey, the main quest stinks.

One of my favorite mods is bounty reduction. In short, it makes your bounty level reduce over time. I even went in and tweaked the mod code a bit and made the reduction time faster (about 2 minutes per 1000 bounty). Give one a shot--It makes the game much more enjoyable.

#36 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:17 AM

View PostMattg, on September 5th 2006, 08:34 PM, said:

Don't you just love that? A reviewer over at the rpg codex picked up on that same point, noting that the "Oblivion Invasion" was nothing more than monsters standing around doing nothing next to Oblivion Gates.
http://www.bncomputi...dventurers.html

However, if you plan on ignoring the main quest this is a good thing. ;)

View PostMattg, on September 5th 2006, 08:34 PM, said:

Actually, my bad--Adventures Oblivion is not the mod that removes the main quest and starts you in a different area, it balances the game out to be more fun/realistic.  I cannot remember the name of the main quest killer, but one should be easy to find, because hey, the main quest stinks.

One of my favorite mods is bounty reduction. In short, it makes your bounty level reduce over time. I even went in and tweaked the mod code a bit and made the reduction time faster (about 2 minutes per 1000 bounty). Give one a shot--It makes the game much more enjoyable.

The first time through Oblivion (before I started over), I noticed at one point, the mobs became very difficult to beat. It seemed like you had to pound on them for 15 minutes, while taking quick breaks to run around in circles healing yourself. I don't know how this came about, if it was the way I advanced my character (mobs level with you) or if it's the game itself. The first instance of this was when I fought the mobs in the painting quest. Fights became so overbearing that I was loosing my enthusiasm for combat. Since I've restarted, this trait has not yet appeared which brings me to the point of this paragraph... I wonder if the Adventures Oblivion mod improves this aspect of the game?

BTW, you can open your game at the beginning to see what the name of that Main Quest Kill mod is if you have it. Of if you remember the name, please post.

Regarding bounties, I assume this helps most if your a law breaker? So far I've played the game as a noble good person, however I am considering some murder and thievery to liven up things. :)
Thanks!

#37 Mattg

Mattg

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

View PostHuntn, on September 6th 2006, 07:17 AM, said:

However, if you plan on ignoring the main quest this is a good thing. ;)
The first time through Oblivion (before I started over), I noticed at one point, the mobs became very difficult to beat. It seemed like you had to pound on them for 15 minutes, while taking quick breaks to run around in circles healing yourself. I don't know how this came about, if it was the way I advanced my character (mobs level with you) or if it's the game itself...... I wonder if the Adventures Oblivion mod improves this aspect of the game?
Yeah, that's just the way it is for levels 7-25 (approximately). After level 30 their isn't much challenge, unless you consider level 28 rats a fun way to spend your game playing time. Oblivions leveling system is an abysmal failure, and yes, that's one of the things Adventures Oblivion sets out to fix. Makes tougher enemies tougher and rarer, and most importantly, ensures weak creatures, including bandits, don't level loot in such a ridiculous way. One of the first things I noticed when I activated Adventures on my level 28 character was how bandits no longer dropped glass and ebony, but rather silver and leather.

One other thing I've done is edit the games creatures on my own, going so far as lowering the aggression of wolves, bears, and ogres to 0. That way I can stalk around the forrest without those creatures somehow becoming insanely enraged at my coming within 20 yards of them. It makes the game much more enjoyable for me.

BTW, you can open your game at the beginning to see what the name of that Main Quest Kill mod is if you have it. Of if you remember the name, please post.
It's called AltStartMQCutOff. That's the mod name as it sits in my data folder. The read me has a link to another one of his files:
http://www.tessource...ile.php?id=3016

Regarding bounties, I assume this helps most if your a law breaker? So far I've played the game as a noble good person, however I am considering some murder and thievery to liven up things. :)
Thanks!
Indeed, but I've actually found it to be most helpful for the occasional slip-up a law abiding citizen. If I accidentally swipe a guard, I can run away and not have to worry about another guard picking me up for the crime three game days later. I just lay low in the forrest for a while and all is well.

Oh yeah, It'd be a shame if i didn't share this mod:
Immersive Interface
It comes complete with an installer. It lets you customize the UI in almost any way. You can shrink/hide elements, and even make them more/less transparent. It makes cave dwelling more enjoyable, among other things.

#38 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:03 PM

Matt,
Thanks for the tips. I've added these links to the Oblivion FAQ. I'm considering adventures:oblivion. :)

#39 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

I got a nasty shock today. Somewhere I picked up "Porphyric Hemophilia", also known as vampirism in the last dungeon I visited. All I remember was zombies. Could they be contagious? :)

In previous gameplay, when I thought I had contracted it (maybe it was some other disease), my ability to regain mana disappeared so I noticed something. In this specific case, I noticed nothing unusual until I went to sleep and had a nasty dream. And when I woke up it I was hidious!

I've done a little reading and the simple way to avoid vampirism is to get cured before you sleep. Or...always save prior to sleeping. You'll get an auto save after you wake up but then it's too late. The list of tasks to cure yourself is a long one so if your a trooper forge ahead. If this is an aspect of the game you don't want to participate in always save prior to sleeping. Also note that quick saves over write the previous quick save so I inadvertently wiped out about 1.5 hrs of game play which I will have to repeat. But I'm also considering going through the steps of getting cured.

#40 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:28 AM

Vampire update- according to the game guide, you must cure yourself within 72 hours of contracting the disease and prior to sleeping.

The Oblivion FAQ has been updated with the latest info.