#161 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:12 PM

I had a Knight volunteer to help be out on Knights of Nine. I usually feel bad when one of these NPCs come along with me on a dangerous journey and they don't make it. Somehow we got separated and later I found his body... usually they go running off in a foolish way. I'll try to finish up KoN this next week.

I found out that after you make Grand Champion in the Arena there are more fighting opportunities there. They bring in monsters, up to 3 at a time and you fight them for about 3000 gold a match. You are allowed to do this once a week.

#162 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:12 AM

View PostGloops, on May 8th 2007, 01:53 PM, said:

but for some reason animals send my fps into a crawl. I can fight a crowd of bad guys with no lag, but I passed a flock of three or four sheep and my framerate dropped to about 5 fps until they were out of sight. I noticed something similar when I encountered a bunch of rats at the beginning. What is it with the animal ai? Are sheep more brainy than the human NPCs?!

I found a cause for this, and a solution in the form of the "quiet feet" mod. Apparently the way the game calculates the sound for creatures is different to NPCs and onboard sound cards can't cope (so all Macs basically). The solution is a little radical in that it removes all the creature feet sounds, which doesn't really matter for mountain lions or sheep, but it makes your horse sound like he's wearing fluffy slippers. But it stops the stuttering.
What, Me worry?

#163 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:22 AM

View PostGloops, on June 26th 2007, 04:12 AM, said:

I found a cause for this, and a solution in the form of the "quiet feet" mod. Apparently the way the game calculates the sound for creatures is different to NPCs and onboard sound cards can't cope (so all Macs basically). The solution is a little radical in that it removes all the creature feet sounds, which doesn't really matter for mountain lions or sheep, but it makes your horse sound like he's wearing fluffy slippers. But it stops the stuttering.

Don't make me search for the link! I'd like add this to the FAQ. :)

#164 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:59 PM

View PostHuntn, on June 26th 2007, 05:22 PM, said:

A more direct solution I've discovered is to just open your Oblivion.ini file and change "fMaxFootstepDistance=1100.0000" to 0.

It may also be an idea to reduce "iMaxImpactSoundCount=32" to 16 if there's still a problem, but I think that includes shield imapcts and the like, so it may have an undesirable effect.
What, Me worry?

#165 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:47 AM

View PostHuntn, on June 26th 2007, 11:22 AM, said:

You made me search! :P Here. Adding to FAQ.

#166 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

Just finished Knights of the Nine and I am now beloved by even more Cyrodiilians!  :thumbsup:  Now off to do Shivering Isles...

#167 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:52 AM

View PostHuntn, on July 2nd 2007, 12:47 PM, said:

You made me search! :P Here. Adding to FAQ.

I still think my way is easier. The mod doesn't work with Shivering Isles - different creatures with different feet. :P

View PostHuntn, on July 2nd 2007, 12:47 PM, said:

Just finished Knights of the Nine and I am now beloved by even more Cyrodiilians!   Now off to do Shivering Isles...

Prepare to be greeted by a bunch of loonies. I can only take SI for about 3 days before I have to retreat to the relative normality of Cyrodiil.
What, Me worry?

#168 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:20 AM

View PostGloops, on June 26th 2007, 01:59 PM, said:

A more direct solution I've discovered is to just open your Oblivion.ini file and change "fMaxFootstepDistance=1100.0000" to 0.

It may also be an idea to reduce "iMaxImpactSoundCount=32" to 16 if there's still a problem, but I think that includes shield impacts and the like, so it may have an undesirable effect.

So which did you ultimately go with- one or both? Have you noticed any adverse effect?

#169 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:22 AM

View PostHuntn, on July 5th 2007, 02:20 PM, said:

So which did you ultimately go with- one or both? Have you noticed any adverse effect?

Neither. I went with my own version. I wasn't having any dramatic problems with 2 legged creatures; like trolls, atronachs etc., so I tweeked the mod to leave those. But for people who are going to download the mod and install it as is, it's probably a lot quicker to just edit the Oblivion.ini. But either way works. I think.  :unsure:  The only adverse effect is that creatures can sneek up on ya, 'cos their feet are quiet - but they still snort/grunt/growl so it's not that much of a problem. There's actually a slider in sound preferences to alter the feet volume. Editing the .ini just cuts them out completely.
What, Me worry?

#170 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

View PostGloops, on July 5th 2007, 09:22 AM, said:

Neither. I went with my own version. I wasn't having any dramatic problems with 2 legged creatures; like trolls, atronachs etc., so I tweeked the mod to leave those.

Tweeked the mod? If I'm sure I'm understanding what you did, I'll update the FAQ.

#171 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

Huntn et al.--Help!

I'm stuck. I'm up to the point in the Independent Thievery quest line where Fathis Ules has become my fence, and I'm supposed to sell 800g worth of goods to acquire the next quest from the Gray Fox. However, Fathis doesn't want to talk to me for some reason. I just killed that dude for the Arrow of Extrication quest, so I thought I might have a blood price and visited Arman. But he didn't ask for a payment, so I guess I'm OK with the guild.

After searching around the 'net, I've found reports of Fathis being bugged, and downloaded a mod that is supposed to fix him. Unfortunately, the mod didn't help much. I can actually talk to Fathis now, but buying stolen goods isn't an option in his list (just the usual thievery guild options), even though I DO have stolen items on my person.

The UESP Oblivion wikki is down ATM, so I'm kinda stuck.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a command line fix or something?

Thanks!

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#172 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:22 PM

Atticus,
No clue as I've not done the Thieves Guild Quests. Messing around in Shivering Isles preparing to assault the big guy guarding the gate. I know this is going to sound weak, but I know some NPCs will not offer to buy/sell unless you hit them during normal business hours. Is that a possibility?  :luck:

#173 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:22 AM

View PostHuntn, on July 14th 2007, 03:22 AM, said:

Atticus,
No clue as I've not done the Thieves Guild Quests. Messing around in Shivering Isles preparing to assault the big guy guarding the gate. I know this is going to sound weak, but I know some NPCs will not offer to buy/sell unless you hit them during normal business hours. Is that a possibility?  :luck:

Figured it out. Apparently, Fathis does NOT fence items when he's traveling. I tried talking to him when he was between destinations, so the buy/sell option wasn't available. And maybe the mod worked, too....?

(shrugs)

Phew.

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#174 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:34 AM

View PostAtticus, on July 14th 2007, 01:22 AM, said:

Figured it out. Apparently, Fathis does NOT fence items when he's traveling. I tried talking to him when he was between destinations, so the buy/sell option wasn't available. And maybe the mod worked, too....?

(shrugs)

Phew.

Atticus

NPCs in many cases will not sell items unless they are at their place of business. In the Mages Guild, they are usually behind their counter. So I think I was on the right track. :)

#175 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

I looked back at my first post in this thread, May 06. I played it a year, not too bad. I'll be taking a break from it now. Maybe come back later and finish up Shivering Isles. If I can play a game for a year it was a success in my book.

#176 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:14 AM

Proactive or defensive? It appears that the owner of Bethesda has purchased the Ederscrollsonline.com domain name. I guess the possibility of a future Elder Scrolls MMO does exist although it could just be a defensive protect the name move. As MMOs usually take several years to develop, I'm not really excited unless I hear something more concrete.

#177 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:52 AM

That and who cares? They're famous for making RPGs so big, they are almost like MMOs. I'd rather they'd do that, and maybe at max, add a 4 player co-op mode.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#178 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:59 PM

I would have liked Oblivion co-op.

Anyhow...
Oblivion and Vista
Has anyone had problems installing some of the addons like Mehrunes Razor and Knights of the Nine? I was kind of surprised to see at Bethesda's support site that Oblivion is not officially supported running in Vista, but they are kind enough to report that most players who try it in Vista get it going.

Well, I've run into some problems getting the pre-mentioned addons installed. On my MBP, I installed and upgraded Obllivion to the latest patch, the 1.2.0416 but when I ran the addon patches I got installer errors. I see on the Oblivion patch page it specifically says they need Oblivion to be updated to 1.1.5.11 patch which is not even available on Bethesda's site. I found it at Megagames.  At this point I'm not really hopeful these two patches will work with 1.1.511 because I would assume they would also be compatible with the newest patch (1.2.0416 of which they are not compatible or it is a Vista problem) and plan on calling Bethesda sometime this week.

I'll post more after I am successful or have crashed and burned. I'm hoping there is some issue with my downloads as these two addons were downloaded versus purchased at retail. I purchased Shivering Isles retail.

If worse comes to worse, the bright point is that I can play the game with my latest saves using the final 1.2 patch and it is also compatible with Shivering Isles. It's just that my knight was all outfitted with Knights of the Nine gear along with Mehrune's Razor which are now missing. If necessary I can resort to the console to restore them (I think). But I'll miss having my own church and crusading gang to hang out with.

#179 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:24 AM

Regarding Oblivion downloads...

According to the moderator at the Bethesda forums, downloads from Bethesda can't be installed on another computer. I'll talk to Bethesda on Monday but it looks like I'll have to do without or buy those again which is unlikely since I've all ready enjoyed that content. I find it aggravating that downloads from their store are limited to the computer they were downloaded to, but downloads from D2D work on any computer? And I would not expect a download to act any differently than a retail purchase. I pay for my content. Just don't ask me to pay twice for the same thing.. Sigh.

Update: I figured out how to simply move the files involved. Problem solved.