17 replies to this topic

#1 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

Do you just go along with the main quest, or do you spend the majority of your time doing side quests?

As for me I just started this game (about 10 hours total perhaps), so I'm having fun leveling up and completing tasks for the Fighters Guild and not doing much about the main quest. In the initial prison the game thought I best suited a scout, so I am going along with that approach. Fun times. :happy:

#2 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:17 AM

Spoiler at end of post.
Funny thing, right at the start the emperor lays this heavy task on you, Save The Kingdom! So I could easily see you getting sucked into the main quest. But as I read about the game and realized you can do the main quest at your leisure, I ran around to several towns and have been working on my Mage recommendation and doing a couple of fighter quests. So much for realism of the scenario. What I mean is that if this was somehow really happening, I'd think you be obligated to take care of the main quest first, or your beloved Cyrodiil, would be over run with all sorts of bad things. As it stands, gates just stand there with no real dire effects until you take the time to close them.

I did venture into the Kvatch Oblivion Gate and closed it. Honestly the game play in Oblivion (the bad place, not Cyrodiil), is not my favorite. Doom 3  soured me on Hell and I spend a lot of time running from Mobs to give me time to get my health back up. ;) I'd much rather run around Cyrodiil doing all of the fun quests. :D I realize this is random, but after closing the Kvatch gate, a new one opened up NE of Imperial City on a hill overlooking the city. It did not stop me from running back over to Cheydinhal and getting my mage recommendation.

That is my plan, visit all of the towns and get my Mage recommendations done, (to access the Arcane University and alchemy) plus a smattering of individual quests before I go gun-ho on the main quest. I'm thinking that even after the main quest is finished, there will be still quite a lot to do.

Comment on A.I.- It's not too smart. I've run into 2 occasions where you can  stand on top of a rock, and rain fire down upon a mob trying to get at you. They are not smart enough to know that they could run around behind it and jump up to get at you so they just stand there in a rage being pummeled until they die. The latest time I used this tactic was doing the Missing Painter quest in Cheydinhal. If I intend on using this cheap tactic, as I run, I conjure an imp at the base of the steep rock I intend upon jumping on. The mob stops to fight the imp. I run around back and jump on the rock. When the mob is done fighting the imp, he tries to come straight at me, which is too steep for him to climb. The rest is history. Most of the time I don't do this, unless I find the mob super hard and he can't cast.
Spoiler for Missing Painter

For the Missing Painter if you don't the turpentine that is given to you, the trolls are crazy hard. Like what are you going to do with turpentine to a "painted" troll? ;) If you don't use the turpentine, it takes like 100 wacks to kill each one, there are 4 and at one point, I had 2 after me. Anyway I kinda forgot about the turpentine and ended up standing on a rock to take care of business. But it took way to long to the point of boredom, but I pushed up both my Destruction and Conquer skills up to expert! Then I started thinking, if the Mobs scale with you, big deal! :P

#3 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:21 AM

I'm doing nothing but the side quests lately, since I'm in the Fighters Guild, but I'm also moonlighting in the Dark Brotherhood. I've had three assignments from the DB, and I've done all of them without getting caught so my bounty hasn't gone up and my record is clean. Mwahahahaha

#4 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:44 AM

with a muffin in my face

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#5 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:49 AM

View PostTomatocow, on May 12th 2006, 02:21 AM, said:

I'm doing nothing but the side quests lately, since I'm in the Fighters Guild, but I'm also moonlighting in the Dark Brotherhood. I've had three assignments from the DB, and I've done all of them without getting caught so my bounty hasn't gone up and my record is clean. Mwahahahaha

Ok who did you kill to get an invite to the Dark Brotherhood? I figure this time around I'll be a good guy. Next time I'll be bad. What is the deal on a bounty? Does this mean if you have a bounty and talk to a guard they haul you off to jail?

#6 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:15 AM

Its breaks by heart when the only lockpick you have in jail breacks
its such a heart wrenching noise it really does break my heart :(

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#7 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:35 AM

View PostHuntn, on May 12th 2006, 08:49 PM, said:

Ok who did you kill to get an invite to the Dark Brotherhood? I figure this time around I'll be a good guy. Next time I'll be bad. What is the deal on a bounty? Does this mean if you have a bounty and talk to a guard they haul you off to jail?

Just anybody really. Mine happened to be the guy who is paranoid about his neighbors or something, and has me go spying on everyone. I think it was a non-guild side quest that started out with me getting a message "Meet me behind such-and-such church". Eventually I got sick of him, and seeing as how he always insisted on meeting after midnight and away from everyone, I did a sneak kill (my character is born under the thief star) and later that night the DB rep came to visit me at my bedside. Haven't looked back since.

I'm not sure what happens if I have a bounty and I talk to a guard, since this is my first game ever and I haven't gotten a bounty yet. I do know that one time just to experiment I killed a few guards at Anvil, then I walked on over to another city and the guards there started attacking me on sight. So I started again from a previous save game.

#8 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:50 PM

View PostTomatocow, on May 12th 2006, 10:35 AM, said:

Just anybody really. Mine happened to be the guy who is paranoid about his neighbors or something, and has me go spying on everyone. I think it was a non-guild side quest that started out with me getting a message "Meet me behind such-and-such church". Eventually I got sick of him, and seeing as how he always insisted on meeting after midnight and away from everyone, I did a sneak kill (my character is born under the thief star) and later that night the DB rep came to visit me at my bedside. Haven't looked back since.

I'm not sure what happens if I have a bounty and I talk to a guard, since this is my first game ever and I haven't gotten a bounty yet. I do know that one time just to experiment I killed a few guards at Anvil, then I walked on over to another city and the guards there started attacking me on sight. So I started again from a previous save game.

Hmm. I killed the Paranoid guy in self defense (in Skingrad I think). No one visited me. :( I really like how in this quest you can approach it 3 ways (based on reading the Strategy Guide). These kind of choices keep me interested.

I have noticed that if and when you steal something, even if no one is around, there is a very good chance a guard will immediately be in your face wanting to haul you off to jail. Or the next time you talk to a guard, even in a different city, the same thing will happen. So I'm not surprised if you kill a guard, even if no one is around, all the guards in all the cities will know about it. Frankly I find this irritating because if your alone, no one else should know about who committed this crime.

Word has it when you join the Dark Brotherhood, you can find fences (criminals) to sell your stolen good to.

View Postaussiemacgamer, on May 12th 2006, 07:15 AM, said:

Its breaks by heart when the only lockpick you have in jail breacks
its such a heart wrenching noise it really does break my heart :(

Tilde (~)
player.additem A 50 (adds 50 lockpicks)
Tilde (~)

:devil:

#9 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

I've been playing for some time, and I haven't done any of the main quest yet. My character is an assassin/thief, and when I first went into the Imperial city after escaping the prison, I was like "hey, a jewelery store!", then "hmm, I need to find somewhere to unload this loot", and I just haven't had time for the main quest since. I've become the master of the thieves guild and am quite far along in the Dark Brotherhood as well. I had joined the mage guild as well, but then I killed another member (there were reasons), and got kicked out...

I killed somebody in Bruma as part of a quest, and that got me into the Brotherhood. Killing someone in self defense doesn't count as murder in the eyes of either the law or the Brotherhood, so no one will visit you in that case.

As far as bounty goes, if it's low, then the guards won't chase you, but will arrest you if you talk to them. You have the standard choice of paying your bounty, resisting arrest or going to jail.

If your bounty is high enough though, they'll chase you down on sight and arrest you. If you have a certain item equipped, they'll just try to kill you immediately. :P I've had pretty high bounties from time to time from assassinating officials and such. (Mostly I kill unseen, but there's one contract where that's difficult.)

And yes, the guards do have uncanny ears on them to hear a master thief picking up a piece of paper or whatever three blocks away inside a building :P. There's a "no psychic guards" mod that I suggest you download if you're going to do anything nefarious. Someone screaming for help will still be heard by nearby guards, but at least they don't come running if you nab a piece of cheese off of someone's kitchen table.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#10 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:20 AM

I finished all the Mage's Guild, Fighter's guild, and Dark Brotherhood quests before finishing the main quest. But I couldn't find the Thieves guild.

Does anyone know how to join the Thieves guild?
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#11 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:12 AM

View PostSpace_Pirate_Killer, on May 14th 2006, 04:20 PM, said:

I finished all the Mage's Guild, Fighter's guild, and Dark Brotherhood quests before finishing the main quest. But I couldn't find the Thieves guild.

Does anyone know how to join the Thieves guild?

Bribe a beggar.

#12 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:53 AM

Spoilers In This Reply

View Postnobody, on May 13th 2006, 01:30 PM, said:

I killed somebody in Bruma as part of a quest, and that got me into the Brotherhood. Killing someone in self defense doesn't count as murder in the eyes of either the law or the Brotherhood, so no one will visit you in that case.

As far as bounty goes, if it's low, then the guards won't chase you, but will arrest you if you talk to them. You have the standard choice of paying your bounty, resisting arrest or going to jail.

If your bounty is high enough though, they'll chase you down on sight and arrest you. If you have a certain item equipped, they'll just try to kill you immediately. :P I've had pretty high bounties from time to time from assassinating officials and such. (Mostly I kill unseen, but there's one contract where that's difficult.)

And yes, the guards do have uncanny ears on them to hear a master thief picking up a piece of paper or whatever three blocks away inside a building :P. There's a "no psychic guards" mod that I suggest you download if you're going to do anything nefarious. Someone screaming for help will still be heard by nearby guards, but at least they don't come running if you nab a piece of cheese off of someone's kitchen table.

Oh so for the Paranoid Quest, The Cow musta killed one of the other people that your character is watching or he killed the Paranoid guy before the end of the quest, before he accuses you of being in league with the others.

After picking the lock, I was in the Vampire's house (Imperial City), by myself,  I picked up something minor and immediately  a guard appears in my face hauling me off to jail. I yelled BS!! :P

#13 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:25 PM

I killed the paranoid guy just because I didn't like him. Not self defence or anything, outright murder. The Brotherhood liked that, I guess.

#14 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:03 AM

I murdered someone, because the Paranoid guy told me too. He gave me moneys. :devil:
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#15 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:30 AM

I turned into a vampire but now I'm starting to regret it :blush:

#16 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:16 AM

View PostSpace_Pirate_Killer, on May 15th 2006, 02:03 AM, said:

I murdered someone, because the Paranoid guy told me too. He gave me moneys. :devil:

So you told him someone *was* spying on him, huh? ;)

View PostTomatocow, on May 15th 2006, 02:30 AM, said:

I turned into a vampire but now I'm starting to regret it :blush:

Can't you just visit a church to be cleansed?  I've read you can catch vampirism by chance while doing certain quests.

#17 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:23 AM

View PostHuntn, on May 15th 2006, 05:16 PM, said:

So you told him someone *was* spying on him, huh? ;)
Can't you just visit a church to be cleansed?  I've read you can catch vampirism by chance while doing certain quests.

Nope you need to finish a long and boring quest to get the antidode.

#18 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:08 PM

View PostHansi, on May 15th 2006, 12:23 PM, said:

Nope you need to finish a long and boring quest to get the antidode.

Hansi, thanks for the info! I added some links on Vampirism in the Oblivion Tips and Cheats thread.