Has dual-booting changed your gaming habits?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Goldibus

Goldibus

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:42 PM

View Postsimfish, on May 20th 2006, 01:02 AM, said:

I've found that I don't dual boot anywhere near as much as I thought I would. I only dual boot to play CS 1.5 if my friends want to but that doesn't happen much or to play HL 2 which I don't do very often either.

When I reboot its usually is a pain not becasue of the time it takes but because of all the stuff I have open that I have to close and reopen when i boot back into OS X.

I also agree with Tomatocow, if there is a choice I will pick the mac version of a game.

I think Aspyr could survive without their Mac porting business now they have diversified, the only question I have is why Aspyr isn't porting games they have rights to like Dreamfall and Spellforce 2. I think those games would do well on the Mac platform.

#22 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:53 PM

Publishing and porting rights are two completely different things. And I don't agree with your point of view, at all. We need companies like Aspyr to stay in the (porting) game. I have a Mac so I can use it as such, instead of it being a Windblows machine in disguise. If there is or will be a Mac version of a game I will buy it, even if I have to wait a little while longer.

Heck, if you don't want to support the porting of games that's your choice, but how do you expect it to get any better if people like you just say it's not worth it?
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#23 flargh

flargh

Macworld Magazine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:27 PM

View PostGoldibus, on May 20th 2006, 03:42 PM, said:

I think those games would do well on the Mac platform.

Clearly Aspyr doesn't agree with you, or they would have done them.

Somehow I suspect Aspyr has a good handle on what will and won't sell on the Mac platform; they've been in the business for a decade and survived and thrived where others have failed.
Peter Cohen, pcohen@macworld.com
Senior Editor, Macworld.com News
Columnist, Macworld "Game Room"

#24 Goldibus

Goldibus

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:40 PM

View PostPegasus, on May 20th 2006, 11:53 AM, said:

Publishing and porting rights are two completely different things. And I don't agree with your point of view, at all. We need companies like Aspyr to stay in the (porting) game. I have a Mac so I can use it as such, instead of it being a Windblows machine in disguise. If there is or will be a Mac version of a game I will buy it, even if I have to wait a little while longer.

Heck, if you don't want to support the porting of games that's your choice, but how do you expect it to get any better if people like you just say it's not worth it?

I think companies like Aspyr and other mac gaming powerhouses will create more original content fro the Mac instead of porting PC games. With most major PC games (even console games) using HAVOK and other such middleware, I see games more games created with the Mac in mind, instead of ports of existing games.

I not anti mac gaming as there have been some great games I've played on the Mac that have never been on the PC. I'm not a big fan of the "porting" instead of creation of original content for the Mac.

#25 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:42 AM

View PostGoldibus, on May 20th 2006, 04:40 PM, said:

I not anti mac gaming as there have been some great games I've played on the Mac that have never been on the PC. I'm not a big fan of the "porting" instead of creation of original content for the Mac.

Porting has always been a compromise, or making the best of a bad situation if you prefer. I'm not implying that the porting companies have done a bad job. We have them to thank for real games appearing on the Mac. I think a lot of AAA original content that is Mac specific is unlikely so hope we get hybrid content like WoW (an infrequent occurance) and hope the ports keep coming (less frequent with Boot Camp but more likely than original content).

#26 the_cloudgazer

the_cloudgazer

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:09 AM

I would definately support the companies that make mac games.

Although I'm not too interested in original content - I'm happy for them to continue porting games.

But they do have to do something about the long delays in porting games.... its very frustrating having to wait so long for mac version.

As for dual booting - I can't do it since I've only got a powerbook.
Since I've switched to mac i spend less time gaming - since i don't like sitting at my desktop PC any longer.

When I do get an Intel mac i will definately dual boot to play games.
Unless of course, the mac game companies can keep up to speed with getting ports out quickly and getting more games ported.