Has dual-booting changed your gaming habits?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:00 PM

I'm OK with dual-booting when I intend to play a multi-hour session, but I find it is too much of a pain to bring everything else to a stop when I just want some entertainment for 30 mins or less. as a result of thinking about this, i have discovered that i do *a lot* of microgaming -- short 10-20 minute sessions with pick-up-and-play games.

so i was wondering: are others finding this, and if so, do you think it could mean that all the money inMac gaming will revolve around shareware-styled titles?

#2 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:59 PM

My gaming habits haven't changed at all. I couldn't even be bothered to install XP on my MBP.
I'm currently playing Psychonauts on my console and it rocks. I've always been a consolero,
so dual-booting doesn't change a lot for me.

40" HDTV + 5.1 surround system + my couch = Gaming deluxe (without Windows, yeah). :D
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#3 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:46 PM

View Posthambone, on May 1st 2006, 01:00 PM, said:

I'm OK with dual-booting when I intend to play a multi-hour session, but I find it is too much of a pain to bring everything else to a stop when I just want some entertainment for 30 mins or less. as a result of thinking about this, i have discovered that i do *a lot* of microgaming -- short 10-20 minute sessions with pick-up-and-play games.

so i was wondering: are others finding this, and if so, do you think it could mean that all the money inMac gaming will revolve around shareware-styled titles?

the only time i re-boot into windows is when i either want to play CoD2 or Half Life 2. i still spend about 75% of my time in os x. but then again, im not really into the shareware type games (FPS Junkie).

#4 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:27 PM

I don't have an intel mac, so when I want to play a PC game, I walk over to my PC and start it up to play. As I don't do anything else with my PC, it's kind of like dual booting except my Mac sets ready to go for other endeavors. :)

-Hunt'n

#5 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:56 AM

I actually find that there are more than enough brilliant little shareware games made for OSX that I'd never dual boot into XP for a shareware game. I'm only going to the other side for RTW, Titan Quest, Trainz Ultimate and Winning Eleven. Otherwise, the OSX side of the yard is where I like to be.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#6 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:07 PM

I agree. I play "hard core" games like UT2004, but I often play them for just a match or two, 20-60 minutes. I put my games in a guest account for my friends, and even switching users annoys me! Having to reboot would drive me NUTS! I'd simply game less.

So yes, rebooting would be OK only for long sessions--and that's not how I mostly game.

#7 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:36 PM

I boot in to XP to play Oblivion/Rome:Total War/Silent Hunter III. I only play Quake 4 and Neverwinter Nights on my Mac partition (both Universal Binary versions). But then that's just for this MBP. If I want to play my other Mac games I go to my old x2 1.8GHz G5.

#8 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:24 AM

View PostTomatocow, on May 8th 2006, 03:36 PM, said:

I only play Quake 4 and Neverwinter Nights on my Mac partition (both Universal Binary versions).
NWN is universal? When did this happen?

#9 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:34 AM

View PostTesseract, on May 8th 2006, 03:24 AM, said:

NWN is universal? When did this happen?
Tomatocow travelled through time.

Or he's wrong.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#10 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:25 AM

View PostSpace_Pirate_Killer, on May 8th 2006, 07:34 PM, said:

Tomatocow travelled through time.

Or he's wrong.

Didn't it? Oh I must have be wrong drunk then.

#11 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:37 AM

View PostTomatocow, on May 8th 2006, 01:25 PM, said:

Didn't it? Oh I must be wrong (drunk) then.

They are waiting for middleware (such as Bink) to be Universal. Since they seems to be tagging along nicely now, the next patch will probably be Universal... I hope.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#12 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:34 PM

two or three weeks into this i'm starting to be pretty comfortable with the whole dual-boot thing. at first it felt like a major affront to the senses, but frankly a complete reboot takes less than 1 min in either direction, so it hasn't changed my longer-term sessions.

that said, i basically have found i dont play shareware or short games in XP because rebooting in the middle of hte day just to take a break is too much of a pain.

this is hardly a market survey, but from my experience dual-booting might encourage more OSX shareware than hinder it.

#13 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:02 AM

View Posthambone, on May 16th 2006, 07:34 PM, said:

... but from my experience dual-booting might encourage more OSX shareware than hinder it.

The WidgetMonkeys sure hope so!

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#14 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:29 PM

I still don't see what the big deal is about the miniscule amount of time it takes to do a reboot.  I'm playing alot of Counterstike Source.  I would have bought Quake 4 for the Mac but didn't because it's not that great a game so why bother when I can now play Windows games.  Same thing with COD 2.  No reason to buy it when I got the PC version that is more full featured.  Plus when the COD 2 expansion packs come out I can play them right away and not wait months for the Mac version.  I did buy the PC version of Halo for $14.95 even though I own the Mac version because the PC version is much faster.

#15 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:06 AM

No. the profits in mac gaming do not lie in shareware titles. ther is not enough money in it. if you can play a gam OSX native you will usally do so despite it may have lower performans so No my answer to the question is No. :D

and to whats yourface up above me.

MY ASS THE PC VERSION IS FASTER THE MACSOFT VERSION popsnizzleS ALL OVER IT! :angry:

sorry but its true

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#16 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:14 AM

Proof please?

#17 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:09 PM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on May 19th 2006, 07:06 AM, said:

No. the profits in mac gaming do not lie in shareware titles. ther is not enough money in it.

I dunno about that man. Just off the top of my head i can list AmbrosiaSW, Freeverse, Spiderweb, DanLab Games, and PangeaSoft as companies that seem to have been around for a while, and are still going strong. I don't think you'll get rich making shareware, but it certainly seems to be a living for those who can turn out decent quality stuff in a timely manner.

#18 Goldibus

Goldibus

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:45 PM

View Posttthiel, on May 18th 2006, 08:29 PM, said:

I still don't see what the big deal is about the miniscule amount of time it takes to do a reboot.  I'm playing alot of Counterstike Source.  I would have bought Quake 4 for the Mac but didn't because it's not that great a game so why bother when I can now play Windows games.  Same thing with COD 2.  No reason to buy it when I got the PC version that is more full featured.  Plus when the COD 2 expansion packs come out I can play them right away and not wait months for the Mac version.  I did buy the PC version of Halo for $14.95 even though I own the Mac version because the PC version is much faster.

I tend to agree, though I don’t know what “Full Features” you are talking about when comparing Win and Mac ports.(Gamespy?) I find it funny that some people complain about people running windows versions of games that came or are coming out on the Mac. IMG Forums > Gaming on Mac > Windows Gaming pretty much says it all. I like the idea of having both OS in one box. It's nice not having to use a separate comp to play Win-XP games on. To me, having to separate computers for work and play is a lot more work then dual-booting.

#19 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

If I have a choice (like I will with COD2) I would choose to support Aspyr.

#20 simfish

simfish

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:02 AM

I've found that I don't dual boot anywhere near as much as I thought I would. I only dual boot to play CS 1.5 if my friends want to but that doesn't happen much or to play HL 2 which I don't do very often either.

When I reboot its usually is a pain not becasue of the time it takes but because of all the stuff I have open that I have to close and reopen when i boot back into OS X.

I also agree with Tomatocow, if there is a choice I will pick the mac version of a game.