Jump to content


Prepare for Disappointment!


  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Location:UK, The 51st State.

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on February 23rd 2007, 04:57 AM, said:

One thing I would agree with and that is as a platform I prefer a Mac running OS X over just about anything else.

I must sound like a Windows apologist to some of you lately but I'm not trying to do that. I'm just trying to help make things a bit more clear. There's a lot of disinformation which is not helpful to new users when dealing with a group that will just bash whenever they get the chance... no offense.

FWIW, though I think it's cool that Huntn highlights some of the potential problems some users will inevitably come across when using WS, I also think both you & uberben are equally right to point out that not everybody has these problems.  As a Mac user who feels forced to use WS for a number of reasons, I think any problems have to be seen as an opportunity to learn something different. What seems a bit of a nightmare at first, soon becomes simply part & parcel of running WS.  It can be a bit of a drag compared to using OS X, but it's bearable.

In an ideal (computing) world Macs would have all the native-software that PCs have & there'd be no need for me to ever touch WS. Sadly, we don't live in such a world.

#42 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:23 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on February 22nd 2007, 10:57 PM, said:

I must sound like a Windows apologist to some of you lately but I'm not trying to do that. I'm just trying to help make things a bit more clear. There's a lot of disinformation which is not helpful to new users when dealing with a group that will just bash whenever they get the chance... no offense.

None taken. I'm not an expert on any OS with no intention to bash WinXP, all though I heard Vista stinks. (how did that slip out?- slaps self) :D Kidding aside, no intent to bash, just inform of potential Windows issues.

Does anyone know if Vista relies on a registry type of setup?

#43 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu
  • Location:Cyberspace

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:05 PM

View PostHuntn, on February 23rd 2007, 05:23 PM, said:

None taken. I'm not an expert on any OS with no intention to bash WinXP, all though I heard Vista stinks. (how did that slip out?- slaps self) :D Kidding aside, no intent to bash, just inform of potential Windows issues.

Does anyone know if Vista relies on a registry type of setup?

Yes Vista does still use a registry like previous windows I've read it's for compatibility and they are eventually going to phase it out.  When it comes to Vista I think it is having teething problems right now as with all previous Windows OS' had when they first came out but it is the future when it comes to PC Gaming.

To be even more clear  I'm not really a fan of Windows but I use it because it simply has more games if all those games came out for the Mac and especially simultaneous with Windows with the same features you can bet I would dump Windows in a heartbeat.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7


#44 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:08 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on February 24th 2007, 04:05 AM, said:

... but it is the future when it comes to PC Gaming.
No real surprise - considering the overwhelming number of alternatives...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#45 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:17 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on February 23rd 2007, 09:05 PM, said:

To be even more clear  I'm not really a fan of Windows but I use it because it simply has more games if all those games came out for the Mac and especially simultaneous with Windows with the same features you can bet I would dump Windows in a heartbeat.

I feel this is the sentiment of most Mac users who are delving into Windows for gaming and that includes me. The biggest discrepancy I see, between Win/Macs is the price difference between Mac and Window towers.

Edited by Huntn, 26 February 2007 - 07:21 AM.


#46 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:49 AM

bump