#21 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:24 AM

Yeah... "Reinstall OSX??? Wtf?!" hehe...

Maybe that's why I dont have issues with XP, I DONT run any utilities or checkers or monitoring programs :D I just let it do its thing, install new drivers when they come out, and install all those 'security updates' when they come out every 3 days.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#22 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:13 PM

I have a windows machine i bought for a project, now its two uses are checking web development results and playing games. I don't even browse the web with it. When i want a new PC game or demo i download it with my mac and turn on file sharing so the windows machine can grab it. So if the Dell blows up, no biggie, reinstall Winows and whatever games i am playing at that time. I figure when a get a new Mac I'll ditch the Dell and use bootcamp, treating it in the exact same manner as the Dell.

#23 cjfoster

cjfoster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:35 PM

View PostFrigidman, on May 15th 2006, 10:24 AM, said:

Yeah... "Reinstall OSX??? Wtf?!" hehe...

Maybe that's why I dont have issues with XP, I DONT run any utilities or checkers or monitoring programs :D I just let it do its thing, install new drivers when they come out, and install all those 'security updates' when they come out every 3 days.

Well, I've worked extensively with Macs and Winboxes as well as several flavors of UNIX/Linux in mostly video and print production environments. They all have their idiosyncracies and flaws.
Any system can come crashing down on you.
I've just never had to reinstall OSX because somebody opened an e-mail with "I love you" as a subject.  ;)
Anyway...
I'm kindof waiting until I see an Intel Mac Tower before I decide how I feel about the Intel Macs or the possibility of running WinXP on them. XP runs OK on the Macbook Pros, but it doesn't seem to be blazing.
You're either part of the problem, part of the solution, or part of the landscape...

#24 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:09 AM

View Postcjfoster, on May 22nd 2006, 08:35 PM, said:

Well, I've worked extensively with Macs and Winboxes as well as several flavors of UNIX/Linux in mostly video and print production environments. They all have their idiosyncracies and flaws.

CJ, welcome to the IMG forums! :)

#25 uberben

uberben

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:36 AM

Never understood all the Windows XP problems, been using both Mac and PC's for 10 years now and they both seem to be the same. I think I can move around XP faster because I find the interface easier to use but thats just personal bias, overall the same though.

#26 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:40 AM

I've seen a consistent pattern with WinXP which I'm seeing right now on my PC which indicates it's a steaming pile of crapola. I've never done anything exotic with WinXP except install a few programs, and download updates when necessary. I've been running System Suite 5 which includes antivirus, and check for adware, malware on a regular basis, but the little things have started happening. The computer does not always shut down, sometimes a desktop selection stalls the OS. My experience is that this is the classic road to a clean install.

Never seen that with OSX and that includes multiple OS upgrades.

View PostBatcat, on May 14th 2006, 05:47 AM, said:

Try going into Control Panel/Network Connections/Support, and Repair. You may no longer have a valid IP address and need to renew it, no reboot required.

Today I could not get on the internet with my PC so I followed the above path...except under Network Connections Control Panel there is no Support, and Repair choice. OK, got it. If I click one of the connections listed, a list of tasks pops up on the left side, one called Repair This Connection. Afterwards I could connect! But never have to do this with OSX. :)
Thanks.

#27 Shadowspirit6

Shadowspirit6

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:36 PM

View PostHuntn, on May 1st 2006, 09:34 AM, said:

So you people with the new ability to boot into Windows are giddy with excitement?? Prepare yourself for the inevitable disappointments that lay ahead. As someone who as used Windows for about 5 years, I guarantee it's coming! Despite running multiple utilities to keep Windows in order, and only using my PC for gaming, eventually there will be a little glitch, Windows won't shut down, a program won't start up, having trouble connecting to the net and despite your best efforts it's gonna happen! And your not getting any technical support!! (evil laugh).  :wall:

If it makes you feel better, even if you had technical support, chances are they take you through a clean install, which is not that hard to swallow as long as you can afford to lose your data.

I've not done the Boot Camp thing, but I would suggest, looking at all of your hardware and make sure you know what drivers everything uses. Did they all come with Boot Camp?

-Hunt'n
im really sorry for saying this  and dont make fun of me but..:( how do you back up your files?

#28 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:30 PM

View PostShadowspirit6, on June 17th 2006, 10:36 AM, said:

im really sorry for saying this  and dont make fun of me but..:( how do you back up your files?
In Windows? Right-click the drive you want to back up and choose "properties". There will be a Backup tab from which you can run a backup wizard thingy.

#29 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:55 AM

View PostTesseract, on June 16th 2006, 11:30 PM, said:

In Windows? Right-click the drive you want to back up and choose "properties". There will be a Backup tab from which you can run a backup wizard thingy.

Is the Windows backup you get a carbon copy or is it like Retrospect in the backup allows you to restore whatever it is you backup?

For Shadowspirit- a problem with Windows is that every program on the harddrive has been noted in Window's Registry. This is how WinXP functions and interacts with installed programs. The Registry tells Windows where everything is located. What this means is that you can't move a program by dragging it to a new location like you can with MacOSX. If you drag a program to a new location, you just broke it. There are utilities for moving programs (I can't remember the name(s). So this is related to my question to Tesseract about what kind of backup do you get.

Data files for the most part, say a program update or photos can be moved around in Windows with no dire effects.

#30 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

View PostHuntn, on June 18th 2006, 03:55 AM, said:

Is the Windows backup you get a carbon copy or is it like Retrospect in the backup allows you to restore whatever it is you backup?
It creates a single file at the chosen backup destination. If you choose to back up "all files on this computer" I assume it is some kind of compressed image of the drive.

#31 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:28 PM

View PostTesseract, on June 17th 2006, 09:01 PM, said:

It creates a single file at the chosen backup destination. If you choose to back up "all files on this computer" I assume it is some kind of compressed image of the drive.

I assume then there is a restore function. That makes me wonder if you can do that with applications because of registry entries...
Thanks!

#32 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:17 AM

A drive imaging utility like Norton Ghost would probably work, as long as the target partition was recognized by Winders.

#33 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:33 PM

A reminder why most of us here prefer Macs:

I'm installing WoW on my PC (it's all ready installed on my G5) for some joint ops with the wife. I did this by buying the 2 week trial DVD ($1.99) and on the first log in, during the update, the Blizzard updater tells me I have a driver out of date. It is the 3Com driver, an integrated network card on the ASUS motherboard that allows an ethernet connection. WoW will not update to the latest version.

First I go to 3com.com and find that the most recent driver they have is dated 2000. The one I have all ready installed is 2003. Their tech support if friendly on the phone, but can only show me their outdated drivers, and he tells me they are not very technically savvy. Hah!:P

Then I go to Blizzard tech support which by the way was very helpful. They tell me that there are a lot of problems with 3Com cards and point me at the ASUS support page. There I download a file dated 3 months newer then what I all ready have, but it will not update my installed driver. Blizzard also tells me that if updating the 3Com driver does not work,  I may have to upgrade my network card.

So I hoof it over to Best Buy and get a $24 DLink networking PCI card. It's now installed and the problem is gone. Here is an example of a motherboard maker integrating a networking card, but not keeping it's drivers up to date. MS updates do not take care of the problem either.

This is a good example of why Macs are a better product from this stand point imo.

#34 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

View PostHuntn, on February 22nd 2007, 09:33 PM, said:

MS updates do not take care of the problem either

MS has the drivers the manufacturors give them. If the manufacturor is a steaming pile...

That said, maybe your motherboard maker has the drivers? With integrated electronics like that, 3com can't begin to support whatever its been imbedded into. 3rd party Mac hardware is no better.

#35 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:01 PM

View Postbobbob, on February 22nd 2007, 09:46 PM, said:

That said, maybe your motherboard maker has the drivers?

The latest drivers that ASUS has are also dated 2003. Of interest when it comes to downloading Blizzard WoW updates, they say they use a bit torrent system ( a surprise to me) and that the 3Com drivers and bit torrent don't like each other. I just installed a Dlink network card and it fixed the problem. I still notice that WinXP on my computer has a habit of breaking it's internet connection. In many cases I go to Controls/Network and have Windows repair the connection. But it's still aggravating.

#36 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:05 PM

well...you got me worked up...here i thought something was gonna happen and no more boot camp  :glare:
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-Shiny, lets be bad guys ~Jane
-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#37 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

View PostHuntn, on February 22nd 2007, 10:01 PM, said:

The latest drivers that ASUS has are also dated 2003. Of interest when it comes to downloading Blizzard WoW updates, they say they use a bit torrent system ( a surprise to me) and that the 3Com drivers and bit torrent don't like each other. I just installed a Dlink network card and it fixed the problem. I still notice that WinXP on my computer has a habit of breaking it's internet connection. In many cases I go to Controls/Network and have Windows repair the connection. But it's still aggravating.

Hehe! My PC sometimes will not restart itself.
Never rely on MS update for any drivers!  :glare:

#38 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

One thing I would agree with and that is as a platform I prefer a Mac running OS X over just about anything else. I'm sorry that you are having so much problems with XP but not every computer that runs it has those problems. I have used it since it was in beta and have taken classes to get certified (not because I like it but because of jobs). I also agree with the thought that you must keep up with maintenance and if you don't eventually you are going to have a problem. But you can't count on the same problems you have cropping up the same on all systems since they are all different. Every once in a while it is good to reinstall windows but you shouldn't have to do this more than once a year.

Personally I find technical support inept (admittedly I have never dealt with Blizzard tech support).. the simply tell you the obvious so usually I troubleshoot all my own problems but I don't have that many problems with my other non mac systems and I have only reinstalled them this past year because I had reformatted them to try out different versions of Linux.  I always went back to Windows on the PC simply because there are more games, and they work without so much work compared to trying to get them all working through programs like WINE.

I must sound like a Windows apologist to some of you lately but I'm not trying to do that. I'm just trying to help make things a bit more clear. There's a lot of disinformation which is not helpful to new users when dealing with a group that will just bash whenever they get the chance... no offense.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#39 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:04 AM

OGM WINDBLOWZ SUX ALL TEHY WANT IS UR MONEY IF U CONVERT BILL GATE$ NAME 2 ASCII AN ADD IT UP IT EQUALS 666 MICRO$OFT IS EVIL IF U USE WINSUCK UR GYA

#40 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:50 AM

View PostMILBOP DIPPLEBERRY, on February 23rd 2007, 02:04 AM, said:

OGM WINDBLOWZ SUX ALL TEHY WANT IS UR MONEY IF U CONVERT BILL GATE$ NAME 2 ASCII AN ADD IT UP IT EQUALS 666 MICRO$OFT IS EVIL IF U USE WINSUCK UR GYA

Checking the mirror for any signs of GYA. :blink: