#1 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:34 AM

So you people with the new ability to boot into Windows are giddy with excitement?? Prepare yourself for the inevitable disappointments that lay ahead. As someone who as used Windows for about 5 years, I guarantee it's coming! Despite running multiple utilities to keep Windows in order, and only using my PC for gaming, eventually there will be a little glitch, Windows won't shut down, a program won't start up, having trouble connecting to the net and despite your best efforts it's gonna happen! And your not getting any technical support!! (evil laugh).  :wall:

If it makes you feel better, even if you had technical support, chances are they take you through a clean install, which is not that hard to swallow as long as you can afford to lose your data.

I've not done the Boot Camp thing, but I would suggest, looking at all of your hardware and make sure you know what drivers everything uses. Did they all come with Boot Camp?

-Hunt'n

#2 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:41 AM

View PostHuntn, on May 1st 2006, 07:34 AM, said:

So you people with the new ability to boot into Windows are giddy with excitement?? Prepare yourself for the inevitable disappointments that lay ahead. As someone who as used Windows for about 5 years, I guarantee it's coming! Despite running multiple utilities to keep Windows in order, and only using my PC for gaming, eventually there will be a little glitch, Windows won't shut down, a program won't start up, having trouble connecting to the net and despite your best efforts it's gonna happen! And your not getting any technical support!! (evil laugh).  :wall:

If it makes you feel better, even if you had technical support, chances are they take you through a clean install, which is not that hard to swallow as long as you can afford to lose your data.

I've not done the Boot Camp thing, but I would suggest, looking at all of your hardware and make sure you know what drivers everything uses. Did they all come with Boot Camp?

-Hunt'n

this is why people have external hard drives. i backed up all my data on windows and os x. so a clean install of windows wont be that bad. i know people who do it on a regular basis just because it makes windows run faster in general. (when i say regular basis, i mean about every 6-12 months).

#3 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:54 PM

is there a good freeware utility for backing up my Windows partition to an external HD and for partitioning part of it (for Windows format) without losing data?

#4 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:24 PM

View Posthambone, on May 1st 2006, 02:54 PM, said:

is there a good freeware utility for backing up my Windows partition to an external HD and for partitioning part of it (for Windows format) without losing data?

I think you could do this with Retrospect from the MacOS, but it's not free.
-Hunt'n

#5 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

Is there a point to your post?  Are you thinking you are the only Mac user who has ever used Windows?

View PostHuntn, on May 1st 2006, 07:34 AM, said:

-Hunt'n

#6 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:03 PM

View Posttthiel, on May 2nd 2006, 12:33 PM, said:

Is there a point to your post?  Are you thinking you are the only Mac user who has ever used Windows?

Lol. Why would you assume that? There are some users new to Windows in these forums...
-Hunt'n

#7 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:14 PM

View PostHuntn, on May 2nd 2006, 09:03 PM, said:

Lol. Why would you assume that? There are some users new to Windows in these forums...
-Hunt'n

I think it's possibly because your post carried somewhat of a trollish tone to it whether that was your intent or not.  I certainly read it that way the first time, and it caused me to lose some respect for the "Poll Master"(you should really get your title changed to that! ;) ).  Once again I'm not saying you intended to make a troll sounding post, but after I've read so many of them on various other forums, it becomes easy to read a legit post the wrong way.

#8 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:19 PM

View PostHuntn, on May 2nd 2006, 02:03 PM, said:

-Hunt'n

In my entire extended family of about 20 people, I am the only one who has ever used Windows in any form, and frankly my knowledge is limited to PC emulators used to open certain rare programs on my Mac, and to grabbing my e-mail on Hospital computers.  So, I think your post was on target for many of us at IMG.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#9 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:43 AM

View PostDrizzt, on May 3rd 2006, 02:14 PM, said:

I think it's possibly because your post carried somewhat of a trollish tone to it whether that was your intent or not.  I certainly read it that way the first time, and it caused me to lose some respect for the "Poll Master"(you should really get your title changed to that! ;) ).  Once again I'm not saying you intended to make a troll sounding post, but after I've read so many of them on various other forums, it becomes easy to read a legit post the wrong way.

Hey! Aren't the Mac forums full of Windows trolls?? I thought this activity was encouraged...;)

Actually I don't live under a bridge. This was a wake up call, a shot across the bow of Mac users sailing into Windows territory for the first time. It's based on my experience with Windows, and not from someone whose goal is just to cause trouble. My apologies to anyone who mistook my intentions.

-Hunt'n

#10 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:12 PM

I've had my Mac crash once so bad I lost everything. But then again that was back in 8.6.

#11 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:10 PM

View PostTomatocow, on May 5th 2006, 07:12 PM, said:

I've had my Mac crash once so bad I lost everything. But then again that was back in 8.6.

Hard drive belly up?

#12 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:00 PM

As usual, knowledge is your friend. The more you know about an OS you're running, the better, and the fewer the problems you'll have.

#13 WhiteSavage

WhiteSavage

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:31 AM

Are you thinking you are the only Mac user who has ever used Windows?

View Postjgwdoc, on May 3rd 2006, 01:19 PM, said:

In my entire extended family of about 20 people, I am the only one who has ever used Windows in any form, and frankly my knowledge is limited to PC emulators used to open certain rare programs on my Mac, and to grabbing my e-mail on Hospital computers.  So, I think your post was on target for many of us at IMG.

I've heard of Windows, figured it was a myth.

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

View PostHuntn, on May 5th 2006, 08:10 PM, said:

Hard drive belly up?
That was the first thing I thought of.  I had a crash that destroyed everything and it turned out to be a HD crash, not an OS crash.  Since then I've been a huge proponent of backups.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

I don't know if this happens on Macs running WinXP, but I've noticed if my PC sits for a while running, and goes to sleep, after it wakes up I can no longer access the internet with a browser. I have to restart Windows... This happens on a regular basis.

#16 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:47 AM

View PostHuntn, on May 10th 2006, 01:30 PM, said:

I don't know if this happens on Macs running WinXP, but I've noticed if my PC sits for a while running, and goes to sleep, after it wakes up I can no longer access the internet with a browser. I have to restart Windows... This happens on a regular basis.
Try going into Control Panel/Network Connections/Support, and Repair. You may no longer have a valid IP address and need to renew it, no reboot required.

#17 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:00 AM

Since when did Windows proper actually have any Tech Support to begin with? Or do you mean the sex-line Microsoft charges you to screw you over whenever you have a problem?

:D

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#18 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:35 AM

View PostBatcat, on May 14th 2006, 05:47 AM, said:

Try going into Control Panel/Network Connections/Support, and Repair. You may no longer have a valid IP address and need to renew it, no reboot required.

I'll give that a try next time. Thanks! Imagine, I've never had that problem on my Macs.

View PostFrigidman, on May 14th 2006, 09:00 AM, said:

Since when did Windows proper actually have any Tech Support to begin with? Or do you mean the sex-line Microsoft charges you to screw you over whenever you have a problem?

:D

Lol! I've had a couple of extended warranties, but technically those warranties cover hardware problems only. But usually tech support will deal with Windows problems by dropping the clean install bomb. With such a mixed up OS, that seems to be the most efficient way of dealing with XP problems.

#19 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

However, seriously speaking... I have used XP for 3 years now, and never needed a full reinstall. It has been stable, and solid ... for the most part. It's no OSX, but it is far better than prior windblows.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#20 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:24 PM

View PostFrigidman, on May 14th 2006, 11:49 AM, said:

However, seriously speaking... I have used XP for 3 years now, and never needed a full reinstall. It has been stable, and solid ... for the most part. It's no OSX, but it is far better than prior windblows.

I've had to do about 3-4 clean installs on XP due to doing nothing exotic and during that time was running maintenance utilities to prevent problems. Honestly, I know so much less about OSX than I did about OS9, that if something major happened, I'd probably do a reinstall for it too. However no such occurrences have happened on my Macs.