Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:27 AM

View Postbobbob, on April 29th 2006, 06:33 PM, said:

What do they know? Seriously, about all that they could possibly know is that some testers had laptops with broken drivers or under-spec hardware. Expecting the developers of Thief to know that MacBookPros wouldn't be able to run their game 8 years later is completely bogus.

In the PC World with hundreds (thousands?) of different models it might be a challenge to know what hardware will or won't run a game. But if a publisher states on the package "laptops not supported", I would assume that they know of some technical reason on at least one laptop. Sounds like in this case you are taking a chance if buying this game for your laptop. But it makes me scratch my head wondering what mechanical feature or omission a laptop has...

-Hunt'n

#22 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:32 PM

Oblivion, Silent Hunter III, and Rome Total War all worked on my MBP :happy:

#23 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:43 AM

View PostHuntn, on April 30th 2006, 02:27 PM, said:

But it makes me scratch my head wondering what mechanical feature or omission a laptop has...

-Hunt'n

The only one I can think of is the Mobile GPUs having other drivers than the desktop ones... or maybe even lacking features that their desktop counterparts may have.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#24 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:47 AM

View PostWhaleman, on May 10th 2006, 04:43 AM, said:

The only one I can think of is the Mobile GPUs having other drivers than the desktop ones... or maybe even lacking features that their desktop counterparts may have.

Ton's of games do play on PC laptops. A mystery to be solved. :) Interesting that this limitation does not apply to Mac laptops, if the game is ported that is...

#25 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:02 AM

Not only have I now got IW running perfectly, I've got Thief 3 running, and Thief 2 running with the cinematics.  Because I was having some problems accessing the link with the details, here are the steps you must take:

1. Download imagecfg.
2. Unzip it to Windows\system32\ as well as Windows\system32\dllcache\ (if you have that directory--I don't).
3. Make a backup copy of your exe files (I didn't bother).
4. Open notepad and enter the following

For Thief 2 it's:
imagecfg -u thief2.exe
imagecfg -u thief2.icd
imagecfg -a 0x1 thief2.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 thief2.icd
pause

For Thief 3 and Invisible War it's:
imagecfg -u (the name of the executable)
imagecfg -a 0x1 (the name of the executable)
pause

5. Save the file in the game directory as "processor.bat" including the quotes.
6. Double click the file processor.bat (must be in the game directory).  A bunch of text like this will appear:

D:\Games\Thief2>imagecfg -u thief2.exe
thief2.exe contains contains no configuration information
thief2.exe contains a Subsystem Version of 4.0
thief2.exe updated with the following configuration information:
Image can only run in uni-processor mode on multi-processor systems

7.  Press a key when it tells you to then run the game.  It is now permenantly patched to ignore the second processor core.  Don't forget how to do this in case you ever need to reinstall these games.

My PC hard drive isn't connected at the moment, so I don't remember the exact names of the executables, but I think they're abbreviations.  For Thief 3, there's another executable besides the T3 exec that you need to use.  I can't remember what it's called, but I'll amend this post later with the specifics.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#26 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:20 PM

Is this something that should go in the Windows Gaming on a Mac FAQ? If so, what is the problem and how are you fixing it?
Thanks!

View Postclocknova, on May 10th 2006, 12:02 PM, said:

Not only have I now got IW running perfectly, I've got Thief 3 running, and Thief 2 running with the cinematics.  Because I was having some problems accessing the link with the details, here are the steps you must take:

1. Download imagecfg.
2. Unzip it to Windows\system32\ as well as Windows\system32\dllcache\ (if you have that directory--I don't).
3. Make a backup copy of your exe files (I didn't bother).
4. Open notepad and enter the following

For Thief 2 it's:
imagecfg -u thief2.exe
imagecfg -u thief2.icd
pause

For Thief 3 and Invisible War it's:
imagecfg -u (the name of the executable)
imagecfg -a 0x1 (the name of the executable)
pause

5. Save the file in the game directory as "processor.bat" including the quotes.
6. Double click the file processor.bat (must be in the game directory).  A bunch of text like this will appear:
7.  Press a key when it tells you to then run the game.  It is now permenantly patched to ignore the second processor core.  Don't forget how to do this in case you ever need to reinstall these games.

My PC hard drive isn't connected at the moment, so I don't remember the exact names of the executables, but I think they're abbreviations.  For Thief 3, there's another executable besides the T3 exec that you need to use.  I can't remember what it's called, but I'll amend this post later with the specifics.

#27 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:42 PM

View PostHuntn, on May 10th 2006, 11:20 AM, said:

Is this something that should go in the Windows Gaming on a Mac FAQ? If so, what is the problem and how are you fixing it?

Reading the thread is fun and useful. The problem is that the games use multiple threads, but don't coordinate them in SMP. You 'fix' that by telling Windows to schedule the game on a single core.

#28 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

View Postbobbob, on May 10th 2006, 01:42 PM, said:

Reading the thread is fun and useful. The problem is that the games use multiple threads, but don't coordinate them in SMP. You 'fix' that by telling Windows to schedule the game on a single core.

This is not an insult! :) Is this problem specific to laptops only? I'll be happy to include it in the FAQ but I want to be sure it is coherent.
Thanks!

#29 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:40 PM

View PostHuntn, on May 10th 2006, 02:49 PM, said:

This is not an insult! :) Is this problem specific to laptops only? I'll be happy to include it in the FAQ but I want to be sure it is coherent.
Thanks!

I don't know whether or not this is limited to laptops, but I suspect it will ocurr on any computer that utilizes the Intel CoreDuo, which includes iMacs and Minis.  I can tell you that both Invisible War and Thief 3 claim not to support laptops, but I don't know if that means they won't work at all.  I'm running them, now patched, on a MBP 1.8, and they run great, T3 better than IW, oddly enough.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#30 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:55 PM

View PostHuntn, on May 10th 2006, 11:49 AM, said:

Is this problem specific to laptops only?

Well, no, it's specific to any computer with SMP or SMT, including Core Duos, dual Xeons, dual P3s, P4's or Xeons with HT, dual Opterons, or dual-core Opterons or AthlonX2s. I'm guessing dual Itanics and hypothetical dual Geode or dual Via C3s or Nehemiahs (etc.) would also work, though they'd suck.

#31 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

View Postclocknova, on May 10th 2006, 02:40 PM, said:

I don't know whether or not this is limited to laptops, but I suspect it will ocurr on any computer that utilizes the Intel CoreDuo, which includes iMacs and Minis.  I can tell you that both Invisible War and Thief 3 claim not to support laptops, but I don't know if that means they won't work at all.  I'm running them, now patched, on a MBP 1.8, and they run great, T3 better than IW, oddly enough.

Would you mind writing up an entry that I could add to the FAQ? Describe the problem, the games you know about that are effected and what steps are needed? If not, that's ok too.
Thanks!

#32 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:25 PM

View PostHuntn, on May 10th 2006, 11:11 PM, said:

Would you mind writing up an entry that I could add to the FAQ? Describe the problem, the games you know about that are effected and what steps are needed? If not, that's ok too.
Thanks!

Yeah.  Just give me a day.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#33 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:51 PM

View Postclocknova, on May 11th 2006, 01:25 PM, said:

Yeah.  Just give me a day.

Thanks! :)

#34 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:05 PM

Okay, here's the deal.  You've got yourself a shiny new Intel-powered iMac, Mac Mini, or MacBook Pro, and you're just dying to play some of those "PC games" you've been hearing so much about for so long.  And, if you're like me, you're particularly interested in stealthy, RPG shooters like Deus Ex: Invisible War and Thief.  Nothing wrong with that, right?  Well, not as such, no.  But there are some complications involved in playing these games (and probably a few others) that makes the situation a bit complicated.  It seems that many PC games, in this case specifically Thief 2 & 3 and Invisible War, do not run properly on dual-processor or dual-core systems.  The aforementioned games will usually install and launch just fine, but they tend to hang on the main menus or the intro movies.  So, what to do?

For the record, I can only speak to the value of this solution as a MacBook Pro owner.  I don't know for certain if this problem exists on iMacs or Mac Minis but, as they both use Intel CoreDuos, I image that they will share in the pain.  Please feel free to weigh in if you know for sure.  Now, here's what to do:

1. Download this file, called imagecfg
2. Unzip it to your Windows\system32\ as well as Windows\system32\dllcache\ (if you have that directory--I don't).
3. Make a backup copy of your games' exe files, as this process will alter them (I didn't bother, but you might want to).
4. Open notepad and enter the following (in a seperate file for each game you intend to patch, of course):

For Thief 2 :
imagecfg -u thief2.exe
imagecfg -u thief2.icd
pause

For Thief 3:
imagecfg -u T3Main.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 T3Main.exe
pause

For Deus Ex: Invisible War:
imagecfg -u dx2.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 dx2.exe
pause

5. Save the file as "processor.bat", including the quotes, in the same directory as the .exe file.
6. Double click the file processor.bat (must be in the same directory as the .exe it modifies). A bunch of text like this will appear:

D:\Games\Thief2]imagecfg -u thief2.exe
thief2.exe contains contains no configuration information
thief2.exe contains a Subsystem Version of 4.0
thief2.exe updated with the following configuration information:

7. Press a key when it tells you to then run the game. It is now permanently patched to ignore the second processor core. Don't forget how to do this in case you ever need to reinstall these games.

And that's all there is to it.  As far as I understand, there are a few other games that are affected by this: Grim Fandango and Unreal 2: The Awakening are two of them.  I can tell you that the above process will fix Unreal 2, but I don't know about any others.  You can read the original source of these instructions here.  Oh, and you can probably ignore the fact that the documentation for both T3 and IW claim that they do not support playing on laptops.  This problem is likely related specifically to multi-proc systems and not some mysterious "laptop detector" code which makes the games not run properly.  Wouldn't that be an interesting bit of programming?
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#35 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:39 PM

View Postclocknova, on May 12th 2006, 03:05 PM, said:

Okay, here's the deal...

I added this to the FAQ, thanks! :D

#36 Doolan

Doolan

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:00 AM

"Not supported" doesn't mean "doesn't work". All it means is the people publishing the game save trouble if you don't buy the game because you're very likely to have issues running it.

In PCs, the main reason for this is supported graphic cards.

Let's use Halo as an example. On certain Intel graphics (e.g. many Toshiba Satellites) the game runs, but since the card doesn't support decals you don't have blood, bullet holes or (this is fun) colors on characters (they all have the default grey / white skin). So, if you wanted to play Red vs. Blue you would get White vs. White :)

It's very confusing, I have played that way a couple of times.

If you check the readmes and FAQs of most relatively high-end PC games and check for the list of "supported video cards", you will see that even some ATI Mobility are not there, and many games simply say that any graphics card on a laptop is "not supported" because they have no way to predict what oddball card laptop manufacturers will be using and what particular features it doesn't have. You could simply be getting a bad performance, but you could also be having weird glitches such as the Halo one, or seeing everything black because they use a kind of lighting that doesn't work on your card, etc.

Since Laptops are simply not meant for gaming, publishers prefer "not to support" them. Again, it doesn't mean it won't work. It means that if it doesn't it's your fault for playing in a laptop and they wash their hands :)

You would be safe by asking for a detailed list of supported video cards and seeing if yours is there. Apart from that, there is nothing that would make a game not run in a laptop apart from horsepower.

As you can imagine, there is no humanly possible way of including a list of supported cards in every box, and if you bought the game, your laptop was above the specs listed in the requirements and then the game had no decals, you would be pretty angry.