35 replies to this topic

#1 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:14 PM

Let's put together a list of games that won't work on your shiny MacBook Pro laptops. So far these are the ones I know that won't work, or on the box said "Not supported on laptops".

Thief: Deadly Shadows
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Please add to the list :)

#2 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:19 PM

Why don't they work?

#3 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:22 PM

View Postbobbob, on April 27th 2006, 12:19 PM, said:

Why don't they work?

Damn if I know. As for Thief, I bought it and it didn't work but also it said "Not supported on laptop computers" on the box. So I started looking for those on game boxes, and so far noticed that Splinter Cell also said that.

#4 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:53 PM

View PostTomatocow, on April 26th 2006, 10:22 PM, said:

Damn if I know. As for Thief, I bought it and it didn't work but also it said "Not supported on laptop computers" on the box. So I started looking for those on game boxes, and so far noticed that Splinter Cell also said that.

Just because it says that it's not supported doesn't necessarily mean it won't run.  Who knows what their criteria are for calling a game "unsupported."
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#5 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:00 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on April 27th 2006, 01:53 PM, said:

Just because it says that it's not supported doesn't necessarily mean it won't run.  Who knows what their criteria are for calling a game "unsupported."

Yeah but it would suck if it said that on the box, you think "nah, BS" and you buy it and it doesn't work after all. :P

#6 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:56 PM

Maybe I should have asked how didn't it work? Installer error, startup error, CTD, what?

#7 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:44 AM

View Postbobbob, on April 27th 2006, 02:56 PM, said:

Maybe I should have asked how didn't it work? Installer error, startup error, CTD, what?

Ah yes. Well Thief installed fine. It also started up fine. When the first cutscene played, that played fine as well. But when I hit esc to skip that, it started playing the cutscene again. Same thing when I hit esc again. I can see the main menu for a split second before the cutscene tries playing again. Finally I positioned the mouse just right so that I am hovering around the area where the "new game" button is. With a bit of timing and repetition, I manage to get the game to go to new game. The voice over starts, where a guy (the protagonist I assume) starts speaking. On his first words "I got.." it gets stuck permanently, and his voice repeats "I got... I got... I got..." over and over again. None of the buttons at this point are clickable, and the keyboard doesn't respond either.

I've tried installing the game and uninstalling twice. Both times, same thing at the same place. This is for version 1.0 of the game, and I've found a 1.1. Even then, same thing. :blink:

#8 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:25 AM

When I still had a PC I encountered a few games that even then wouldn't want to work on a laptop. I never quite figured out what's causing this limitation. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to bad code or due to the developer being too lazy to make the code work on a laptop.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#9 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:43 AM

View PostPegasus, on April 27th 2006, 12:25 AM, said:

due to the developer being too lazy to make the code work on a laptop.

There's nothing special about a laptop that developers should be worrying about. Probably just low specs or something made the devs get a bad taste in their mouth.

As for Thief, there's a dual core fix as well as a host of other solutions looking for a problem if you want to test them.

#10 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:46 AM

Well, that may not be entirely true. There were games that should have run perfectly fine on my laptop, having been above the requirements, but, for whatever reason, they just wouldn't. And it wasn't a problem with Windows either.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#11 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:49 AM

View Postbobbob, on April 27th 2006, 04:43 PM, said:

There's nothing special about a laptop that developers should be worrying about. Probably just low specs or something made the devs get a bad taste in their mouth.

As for Thief, there's a dual core fix as well as a host of other solutions looking for a problem if you want to test them.

Interesting. I shall try that. :happy:

Oh damn I have to install the game again.

#12 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:45 AM

Aren't the iMac and Mac Mini made similarly to a laptop?
I wonder if that would mean these games would not work on them? :unsure:
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#13 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:48 AM

View PostSpace_Pirate_Killer, on April 27th 2006, 05:45 PM, said:

Aren't the iMac and Mac Mini made similarly to a laptop?
I wonder if that would mean these games would not work on them? :unsure:

If you put it on your lap and used it, it would indeed be a laptop.

#14 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:55 AM

View PostPegasus, on April 27th 2006, 12:46 AM, said:

There were games that should have run perfectly fine on my laptop, having been above the requirements, but, for whatever reason, they just wouldn't. And it wasn't a problem with Windows either.

Well, what could it be? The CPUs have the same instruction sets, the OSes and drivers abstract away all the other hardware, it's the same libraries and system calls. Sometimes drivers have bugs that the vendor doesn't fix, maybe using an LCD means certain resolutions aren't available, but those are general issues not specific to laptops. The typically lower specs is all the dev can really cite. Game devs' support is usually just patches and 'ask your hardware vendor' anyways, so nothing's really lost.

#15 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:06 AM

This is a shot in the dark, but could it be Apple's video drivers? A blog entry here talks about outdated laptop video drivers as being the culprit in the Windows laptop world.

#16 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:09 AM

View Postbobbob, on April 27th 2006, 04:55 AM, said:

Well, what could it be? The CPUs have the same instruction sets, the OSes and drivers abstract away all the other hardware, it's the same libraries and system calls. Sometimes drivers have bugs that the vendor doesn't fix, maybe using an LCD means certain resolutions aren't available, but those are general issues not specific to laptops. The typically lower specs is all the dev can really cite. Game devs' support is usually just patches and 'ask your hardware vendor' anyways, so nothing's really lost.

I have friends who game exclusively on Windows laptops which include some hefty video cards. I have no clue (no surprise) what about a game that would prevent it from running on a laptop. If anyone has a game that flatout will not run under Boot Camp, I'll be happy to add a section to the Windows Gaming FAQ.

-Hunt'n

#17 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:07 PM

View PostTomatocow, on April 27th 2006, 01:44 AM, said:

The voice over starts, where a guy (the protagonist I assume) starts speaking. On his first words "I got.." it gets stuck permanently, and his voice repeats "I got... I got... I got..." over and over again.
:rotfl:

Sorry. Sometimes the gamemakers do know what they're taking about, and saying 'such and so should work by my logic' accomplishes nothing. One generally gets less from assuming he knows all and always knows best, than otherwise.

Caveat emptor. A list sounds like a good idea, and the rich & brave can buy 'n' try at their own risk.

#18 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:16 AM

Ubisoft generally claim not to support laptop video cards; as far as I can remember, Myst IV and V came with the same warning.

#19 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

View PostTomatocow, on April 27th 2006, 02:44 AM, said:

Ah yes. Well Thief installed fine. It also started up fine. When the first cutscene played, that played fine as well. But when I hit esc to skip that, it started playing the cutscene again. Same thing when I hit esc again. I can see the main menu for a split second before the cutscene tries playing again. Finally I positioned the mouse just right so that I am hovering around the area where the "new game" button is. With a bit of timing and repetition, I manage to get the game to go to new game. The voice over starts, where a guy (the protagonist I assume) starts speaking. On his first words "I got.." it gets stuck permanently, and his voice repeats "I got... I got... I got..." over and over again. None of the buttons at this point are clickable, and the keyboard doesn't respond either.

I've tried installing the game and uninstalling twice. Both times, same thing at the same place. This is for version 1.0 of the game, and I've found a 1.1. Even then, same thing. :blink:

That's a known problem with the Thief engine, it's got nothing to do with laptops and everything to do with dual-core or multiple processor systems. The fix that bobbob linked works for that.

I've also had Half Life freak out on my dual core system, and turning off one processor for that helped as well.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#20 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 05:33 PM

View PostBatcat, on April 27th 2006, 12:07 PM, said:

Sorry. Sometimes the gamemakers do know what they're taking about, and saying 'such and so should work by my logic' accomplishes nothing.

What do they know? Seriously, about all that they could possibly know is that some testers had laptops with broken drivers or under-spec hardware. Expecting the developers of Thief to know that MacBookPros wouldn't be able to run their game 8 years later is completely bogus.