1 reply to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

Moby Games has an article titled Something about Interactive Fiction that focuses on one of the oldest gaming genres in computer game history. Also known as text adventures, interactive fiction titles have kept many players busy since the 70s, and continue to be a source of interest today.

The article follows a chronological path, noting the use of the two-word parser, the beginnings of the venerable IF title Adventure, and the subsequent rise to power of Infocom and its flagship Zork series.

The three Zork games (Zork I: The Great Underground Empire (1980), Zork II: The Wizard of Frobozz (1981), and Zork III: The Dungeon Master (1982)) represent three of the thirty-five interactive fiction games released by Infocom. Infocom was the industry leader and, as Montfort points out, the creators of "practically all the best-loved IF works."
Also discussed in the article are more current contributions to the IF genre, including the Mystery House Taken Over project, and the use of IF for purposes other than strict gaming.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Hobeaux

Hobeaux

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:41 AM

View PostIMG News, on April 24th 2006, 10:42 AM, said:

The three Zork games

ahhh. Zork. How I miss thee.

Really enjoyed the 650 Point Adventure--that game had my friend and me engaged for months! when we'd get exasperated with the puzzles we'd go find a tall cliff in the game and jumped off. The game would ask, "are you sure you want to do that?" and if you answered "yes" you'd wind up as a red pancake at the bottom--except one time. Once a 3-page description about the arrogance of some intrepid explorer in a red t-shirt and i-don't-know-what appeared instead of the red pancake death message. Unfortunately, systems back then didn't allow you to scroll back up -- if you didn't have the old poly88 set to print everything you did, the message was unreadable. gone forever.

and we didn't have it set to print.

all we were able to read were snippets as the text flowed past our astonished eyes.
turning the real into the ideal