#21 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:02 AM

View PostTesseract, on May 1st 2006, 08:21 AM, said:

OK, so Wikipedia tells me that the Talmud prohibits "theft of ideas". But what does that actually mean?

You know how Trotsky got an ice-pick to the head? He so had no ideas after that, they were all stolen.

#22 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:20 AM

View PostTesseract, on May 1st 2006, 10:21 AM, said:

OK, so Wikipedia tells me that the Talmud prohibits "theft of ideas". But what does that actually mean? Is it anything like the modern concept of "IP"? (The vagueness of the term is even making this discussion difficult!)

I'm all for the moral rights of authors, to be identified as the author of their work and so forth. I also have no problem with trade secrets. But those are respectively issues of artistic/academic honesty and privacy, not property.

How about the theft of an idea for a movie or a book that is going to make an author rich? This happens or is claimed to happen on a regular basis.
-Hunt'n

#23 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:01 PM

View PostHuntn, on May 1st 2006, 10:20 AM, said:

How about the theft of an idea for a movie or a book that is going to make an author rich?

Copyright infringement seems to cover that one pretty well. It's not like the author doesn't still have the idea, even after it was supposedly 'stolen'. I wish that worked with real property, cuz then I could just say someone stole my TV and my insurance would buy me a second one.

#24 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:31 AM

View Postbobbob, on May 1st 2006, 01:01 PM, said:

Copyright infringement seems to cover that one pretty well. It's not like the author doesn't still have the idea, even after it was supposedly 'stolen'. I wish that worked with real property, cuz then I could just say someone stole my TV and my insurance would buy me a second one.

Well your right, but this sounds related to theft of ideas. :)
-Hunt'n

#25 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:52 AM

a mildly offtopic sidebar for those of you that don't mind reading off-the curriculum

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image