5 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:23 AM

As soon as Bootcamp landed, I went out & bought Half Life 1, which I'd been wanting to revisit for years.

All installed & lovely.

Then, when I thought I'd try the HL2 demo. That too is Steam protected (which seems a little overcautious to me but there you go).

Only thing is, it wants to reinstall Steam: Will that kill my existing authorisations? I looked around the Valve support site but it doesn't seem to have an answer for me. I dare not try a PC specific support site because I'm pretty sure the answer will read "LOL j00 am teh lamerz. Macs  B sUx0rz" or somesuch.

What do you lot think? I'm not sure whether the game authorisations live as cookies on the PC or in some form on the Valve server..

?

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#2 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:07 AM

I haven't used Steam as yet, but I suspect it'll connect up, find an existing install, and update if/ where needed. Just to be safe, tho, you might want to back up saved games and such.

Time to catch up anyhoo- you have the full game, the Lost Coast add-on with luverly HDR lighting, and the imminent (pre-loading May 1) new chapter to play thru. That's a heapin' helpin' o' Half-Life. :)

#3 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:39 AM

View PostBatcat, on April 22nd 2006, 06:07 AM, said:

I haven't used Steam as yet, but I suspect it'll connect up, find an existing install, and update if/ where needed.

That seems to be what it did for us.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#4 yellow#5

yellow#5

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:35 PM

The way steam works is that it links all your steam games to one steam ID. You can login to steam from any computer, it'll update, and recognize which games you own. You can then download them to the computer that you're using. You can't login from multiple computers at one time. Steam also auto-updates whenever it's connected to the internet, and there's an update available.

#5 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:09 PM

If I understand part of what your saying, isn't HL1 immune to Steam? Or is that what you said? :) I know I have an original disk that existed well before Steam did.
-Hunt'n

#6 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:23 PM

Oh. OK. I'll give it a try.

The HL1 I have included a Steam install. The only wrinkle was that the HL2 demo seemed to want to reinstall steam from scratch: looks like there's a maximum of how much damage I can do by pressing 'OK'.

Wish me luck!

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image