Stecchino

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:26 AM

Review

Bit biased perhaps?

No matter which OS you run, its weak ATI Radeon X1600 graphics chip, which shares memory with the system itself, isn't going to deliver high frame rates.

That's not correct at all, right?   The only "shared memory" model that Apple currently makes is the Mac Mini.  Also, while the x1600 is not a high-end card, I wouldn't call it a "weak" chip.  And it certainily smokes through Call of Duty 2 just fine on high settings.

I'm on my way not to rant to the author but rather to add constructive criticism.

EDIT:  Eh, forget about it.  I'm too late.    :-)

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:04 AM

View PostStecchino, on April 14th 2006, 05:26 AM, said:

Review

Bit biased perhaps?
That's not correct at all, right?   The only "shared memory" model that Apple currently makes is the Mac Mini.  Also, while the x1600 is not a high-end card, I wouldn't call it a "weak" chip.  And it certainily smokes through Call of Duty 2 just fine on high settings.

I'm on my way not to rant to the author but rather to add constructive criticism.

EDIT:  Eh, forget about it.  I'm too late.    :-)
Wow!  Those comments are so heartening to read it made my toes curl.  It included several switcher comments!  Dual booting just may deliver the Macs a big new chunk of the market share after all and that is the best case scenario for Mac gamers.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:38 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on April 14th 2006, 11:04 AM, said:

Wow!  Those comments are so heartening to read it made my toes curl.  It included several switcher comments!  Dual booting just may deliver the Macs a big new chunk of the market share after all and that is the best case scenario for Mac gamers.

That's my hope too.

#4 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:30 AM

View PostStecchino, on April 14th 2006, 05:26 AM, said:

Bit biased perhaps?

If that article wasn't biased, I don't know what is, but they do have a point. The new iMac is hardly a hardcore gamer's wet dream. Seeing how small that crowd is, I don't see that as a problem, though.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#5 Xavier

Xavier

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:58 AM

Then again, none of Apple's products have been focused on hardcore gamers to begin with.

IMO they're  'all-around' machines. They can play games, just not to the level that hardcore pc gamers prefer.
Moof!

#6 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:17 AM

Apparently nobody told that guy that the X1600 has its own 128 or 256 megabytes of graphics memory, or showed him videos of HL2 running flawlessly, or told him about Oblivion running with high settings at 40FPS...