#1 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:58 AM

Lots of raving going on in the IMG forums these days about the new gaming opportunities available on Intel Macs. Lots of happy Mac Gamers.

Besides the obvious downside of having to deal with Windows, are there any other problems Intel Mac users are running into trying to do Windows gaming on a Mac? Any sound, graphic, online connecting, etc, etc, issues?

I might also ask, is this level of enthusiasm surging across the spectrum of Mac users or is it segregated to a small fanatical group? :)
Thanks!

-Hunt'n

#2 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:25 AM

View PostHuntn, on April 10th 2006, 10:58 AM, said:

Besides the obvious downside of having to deal with Windows, are there any other problems Intel Mac users are running into trying to do Windows gaming on a Mac? Any sound, graphic, online connecting, etc, etc, issues?

I'ne now got 15 modern 3D games tested with another eight being tested today. All have installed/run flawlessly. I've had only two odd issues ...

1. IL2 Sturmovik needs to be run 1024x768 windowed or it flips itself upside down in full screen.

2. Some of the ("older") games don't like very much the widescreen and have some very slight pixelation issues when you try to stretch their settings out.

Otherwise, everythig is very, very fine.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#3 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:40 AM

DaveyJJ,
Good to hear! :)

-Hunt'n

#4 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:41 AM

The day Boot Camp was announced it sure got me excited thinking about the possibilities, but even after these short few weeks my enthusiasm has begun to waver. Now that I had time to think about it, I wonder if I really want to boot into Windows, once I'll have acquired my new Mac. After all, I came to Apple's world because I was more than a little fed up with my previous OS and my general experience with Microsoft's software throughout the years.

If that means fewer available games for me, so be it! I've been managing just fine between my Mac's and my Xbox's library of games.

There might be the slight possibility that I will give Windows a try again, but if there are going to be any signs of trouble it'll be gone for good.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#5 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:51 PM

Even if economics stop the small existing flow of AAA titles from Aspyr, MacSoft etc., and Mac-only gaming becomes small, shareware and/or indie titles?

#6 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:39 PM

Well, yeah, that's also a thing that has to be considered, but we're probably still a ways off from that happening... I hope. I would hate to see Mac gaming die like that. It all depends on who's sticking with the Mac side and who's not.

The problem with this possibility is that then people would be literally forced to use Windows if they wanted to play computer games, and I really can't see how that would be a good thing. Can you?

#7 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:59 PM

View PostPegasus, on April 19th 2006, 11:41 AM, said:

There might be the slight possibility that I will give Windows a try again, but if there are going to be any signs of trouble it'll be gone for good.

WinXP is a second rate OS that provides a means to an end. The end is gaming, not computing. I don't think any Mac gamers will be booting into Windows to hang out. It will be to launch a game. And as soon as they intend on doing anything else would boot back into the MacOS. If in that situation, I know I would.

-Hunt'n

#8 Mariner

Mariner

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:23 PM

I'm probably a year away from a new Mac, so this is all fascinating speculation to me for now. The largest downside would the actual purchase of a new Windows. I still have VPC and Win95 (or is it 98?) I hardly ever need it now. A $200 surcharge to play a few great games?  It's as if the only way to get to the opera was to buy a used yugo.

My fingers are crossed for effective vitualization.

#9 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

View PostMariner, on April 19th 2006, 02:23 PM, said:

A $200 surcharge to play a few great games?

$100, the downside's not that big.

#10 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:20 PM

View PostMariner, on April 19th 2006, 04:23 PM, said:

My fingers are crossed for effective vitualization.

I may be putting my foot somewhere it does not belong, but isn't virtualization the equivalent of emulation and inferior to running natively?

-Hunt'n

#11 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

View PostMariner, on April 19th 2006, 05:23 PM, said:

A $200 surcharge to play a few great games?  It's as if the only way to get to the opera was to buy a used yugo.

Beats CDN$1500 for a PC. And that opera? Think about it this way. If Rome Total War was the opera, I couldn't get to it in my Benz (Mac). If it takes a Yugo to play it (like I am now), so be it.

Back to building an empire now.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#12 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:09 PM

View PostHuntn, on April 19th 2006, 07:20 PM, said:

I may be putting my foot somewhere it does not belong, but isn't virtualization the equivalent of emulation and inferior to running natively?

No, it's not emulation.  As to inferior, it depends.  No dual-booting, which makes it much superior for some people.  On the other hand, virtualization has no direct access to hardware, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a virtualization solution that includes 3D support, for example, which makes it useless for gaming.  That doesn't mean 3D support is impossible to do, but it's not trivial either, and the end results are unlikely to be as good as directly accessing a graphics card.   However, one benefit of "no direct access to hardware" means you can run the virtualized OS off a hardfile, so you'd never have to worry about viruses having the faintest possibility of ever touching your Mac stuff in any way.

Anyone expecting virtualization to save him from buying Windows, though, will be disappointed.   That's not the way it works; you still need the OS.  What you may be wanting is not virtualization at all, but rather WINE or something similar, which removes Windows from the picture entirely and maps Windows API calls to the host OS.  Currently not that compatible, but if it got enough of the "big" games that aren't being ported to OS X running, that would be the best solution for a lot of people.  No dual-booting, no Windows.  Of course, game porting houses really would become irrelevant then.  We'd still be needing native OS X software for everything else, because remapped Windows programs would be clunky and annoying and not integrated into the OS properly, even if they technically work...but games are their own world, so it hardly matters for most of them.

--Eric

#13 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:27 PM

Guys stop it !!!

I already had too much of windows on the IMG forums ;-)

Ok listen, if gaming is important a Mac will probably not cut it for you:

- the current iMacs don't have a very powerful GPU (although good enough currently).
- The Mac compatible GPUs are always released much later than for windows, you'd still have to wait for the next gen GPU.

In the end waiting for a Mac version isn't so bad...

Support Mac gaming for fire truck sake.  :angry:

Ok I had a few drinks, but I swear my intel iMac told me he would not accept running windows and that he'd punch me with his keyboard if I tried to force him into it.  :happy:

#14 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:20 PM

Unfortunately, market forces (many more good games on Windows) and The Steve (Bootcamp) already decided for you. As to the Win topics, they're easy to avoid, usually having 'Windows' in their titles... just don't read them?

(And tBC doesn't like filter-dodging. Just write it out, and let IMG's filters do their job.)

#15 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:55 AM

View PostBatcat, on April 20th 2006, 01:20 PM, said:

(And tBC doesn't like filter-dodging. Just write it out, and let IMG's filters do their job.)

How about [Edit - knock it off or I'm having Kobe steak for dinner tonight! - tBC]

As for me, I've started a wave of "Oh man I should buy one too" amongst my friends, after they watched me play the Star Wars game on my laptop.

#16 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:01 AM

View PostiRolley, on April 19th 2006, 11:27 PM, said:

In the end waiting for a Mac version isn't so bad...

Err, not trying to be a jerk here, but please PM me as soon as Rome Total War and Half Life 2 and Pirates! get released natively for the Mac and we'll chat then.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#17 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:49 AM

anything that definitely isnt coming to mac (ie, more than 9 months old with the very odd exception that we wont be seeing anymore (BF1942 anyone?)) is ok by my book to run in windows... on a mac...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#18 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:04 AM

View Postteflon, on April 20th 2006, 06:49 AM, said:

anything that definitely isnt coming to mac (ie, more than 9 months old with the very odd exception that we wont be seeing anymore (BF1942 anyone?)) is ok by my book to run in windows... on a mac...
The rules of Mac game releasing are changing, and this may well not be seen anymore- but the helo sim Enemy Engaged: Comanche Hokum was 5 years old when it reached the Mac, and the original FA-18 Hornet: Korea came out in '97.

http://www.3dgamers....ecomanchehokum/

http://www.3dgamers....ames/fa18korea/

#19 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:20 AM

id say that now after 9 months with no announcement a game is pretty much dead in the water. niche games might still survive to get ported, but then again, a lot of niche games dont get ported for just that reason.

not to mention that as the games industry grows and grows, games will start to seem old hat much much sooner. CoD2 was out in 2005, and well get it mid 2006. many Windows gamers would scoff at waiting that long, especially as it seems that CoD3 has already been named etc.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#20 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:38 PM

Patience, little grasshopper. :P

I have no problems with waiting for a port, but if doesn't seem likely it's going to show up, at all, I suppose obtaining a copy for Windows wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I've actually been playing with the thoughts of getting Pirates!, VtM: Bloodlines, Gal Civ II, and a ,for once, fully functional copy of Escape From Monkey Island.

Basically, what I've been trying to say with my earlier post - even if it may have come out wrong - was that with the advent of Boot Camp we shouldn't delegate all our gaming business to Windows, all of the sudden, but also support the Mac side of things. At least, that's what my thoughts are about this subject matter.