14 replies to this topic

#1 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

ever since i installed windows on my imac i have been force to download windows games in windows risking viruses, spyware, and all the other crap that comes bundled with M$' OS. but i have an external 250GB HD. i mostly use this hard drive for backup but have been wondering if i should partition it so that i have about 30 or so GB for transferring files to windows after downloading them in OS X. But my problem is is that when i went into disk utility to partition my HD, the only choice for formats were Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Mac OS X extended, Mac os extended(case-sensitive, journaled),mac os (case-sensitive), unix file system, and free space. i know to be able to read the files i put on the partition i have to partition it in ms dos or FAT. dose anybody know a way of doing this or another format that i will be able to read in windows?

#2 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:45 AM

That's a damned nice question. What do flash drives typically use I wonder.

#3 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:44 AM

View PostLemon Lime, on April 8th 2006, 12:08 PM, said:

ever since i installed windows on my imac i have been force to download windows games in windows risking viruses, spyware, and all the other crap that comes bundled with M$' OS. but i have an external 250GB HD. i mostly use this hard drive for backup but have been wondering if i should partition it so that i have about 30 or so GB for transferring files to windows after downloading them in OS X. But my problem is is that when i went into disk utility to partition my HD, the only choice for formats were Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Mac OS X extended, Mac os extended(case-sensitive, journaled),mac os (case-sensitive), unix file system, and free space. i know to be able to read the files i put on the partition i have to partition it in ms dos or FAT. dose anybody know a way of doing this or another format that i will be able to read in windows?

Grab AVG anti-virus (free) and MS Defender (beta) to cover the two virus/spyware threats.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#4 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:00 PM

Lemon Lime, if you use Firefox to download that stuff, you should be almost as safe as you are in Mac OS X, so don't bother.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#5 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:21 PM

I'd like an answer to his question because I'd like to take the 80 GB drive from my old PC, slap it into an external case, and hook it to my MacBook to use as a games drive.  Will Windows recognize it right away (it's already been formatted and used in a PC)?
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#6 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:50 PM

View Postclocknova, on April 8th 2006, 01:21 PM, said:

I'd like an answer to his question because I'd like to take the 80 GB drive from my old PC, slap it into an external case, and hook it to my MacBook to use as a games drive.  Will Windows recognize it right away (it's already been formatted and used in a PC)?

Yes, definitely.
InsideMacGames.com

#7 reallynotnick

reallynotnick

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 05:14 PM

I am pretty sure as of now, you can not put windows on an extrenal drive.

Have you tried running boot camp with your external drive turned on?

#8 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 08 April 2006 - 05:49 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on April 8th 2006, 12:00 PM, said:

Lemon Lime, if you use Firefox to download that stuff, you should be almost as safe as you are in Mac OS X, so don't bother.

You should still scan the files before you use them because no matter which browser and where you download them from (OS X or Windows, Firefox or IE) they still could be infected however if you download from one of the major sites you should be fine. It's still a good idea to scan them though.

BTW, I would like it if you could put windows on an external drive that's how I would like to do it as I don't like partitioning a drive if I can help it.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#9 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:46 PM

View Postreallynotnick, on April 8th 2006, 06:14 PM, said:

I am pretty sure as of now, you can not put windows on an extrenal drive.

Windows XP definitely wasn't designed with external USB or Firewire boot drives in mind, because it tends to reset the external USB/Firewire devices during startup.

One guy managed to do it, but I'm guessing that it's only going to work on certain combinations of hardware due to differences in device controllers.  If you want to waste some time, try this:

1.  Grab an external Firewire drive, and format it in FAT32 using Disk Utility (or another PC).

2.  Burn that Boot Camp CD.

3.  Install the firmware update for your computer.  Realize (it's kind of a 'duh' moment) that this firmware update simply provides native XP support.  That means that you can boot off a Windows XP CD like anyone else.

4.  Start up your computer with the Windows XP CD inserted by holding down the 'C' key.

5.  Install Windows XP on that external drive.  <may stall here>

6.  To boot your Mac off that drive, hold down Option-Command-Shift-Delete on startup, which bypasses your internal boot drive and allows you to select another.

7.  Select the external drive. <may stall here>

8.  Assuming you get this far, consider yourself extremely lucky and use the CD you created with Boot Camp to install the necessary drivers.
InsideMacGames.com

#10 reallynotnick

reallynotnick

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:05 AM

^So your instructions don't involve using boot camp to install (just for the drivers). I meant you could not use boot camp for an external HD, but I like your way of thinking. It could work, but I don't have an intel mac to try.

#11 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:46 AM

for those of you wondering what happens when i turn on my external drive when in windows it says "new usb mass storrage device found". but then when i go to my computer it dose not show up where the other hard drives are.

#12 Haoshiro

Haoshiro

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:56 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on April 8th 2006, 12:44 PM, said:

Grab AVG anti-virus (free) and MS Defender (beta) to cover the two virus/spyware threats.

Speaking as someone who has dealt with windows machines far to much, personally and as a service technician, I can say those are only "okay" solutions but work if you need something completely free.

If you want the absolute best protection then you want nod32 Antivirus.  It does everything from virus scanning to adware/spyware removal and it is the best I've ever used (and I've used a lot).  It has been able to recover and clean systems that had infections that could/would not get detected/cleaned by anything else!

Man, I'm such a fan of nod32 they should pay me to do PR...  :D

#13 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:23 PM

View PostHaoshiro, on April 9th 2006, 01:56 PM, said:

Speaking as someone who has dealt with windows machines far to much, personally and as a service technician, I can say those are only "okay" solutions but work if you need something completely free.

If you want the absolute best protection then you want nod32 Antivirus.  It does everything from virus scanning to adware/spyware removal and it is the best I've ever used (and I've used a lot).  It has been able to recover and clean systems that had infections that could/would not get detected/cleaned by anything else!

Man, I'm such a fan of nod32 they should pay me to do PR...  :D

Thanks, Haoshiro, I'll look into that for my new 20" coming in a week or two.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#14 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:57 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on April 9th 2006, 10:46 AM, said:

for those of you wondering what happens when i turn on my external drive when in windows it says "new usb mass storrage device found". but then when i go to my computer it dose not show up where the other hard drives are.

If it's indeed a mass storage device and it's unformatted, you might have to right click on 'My Computer' then click 'Manage' then pick the Disk Management sub-item under Storage. Windows is kind of clueless about unformatted drives.

#15 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:35 PM

View Postbobbob, on April 9th 2006, 03:57 PM, said:

If it's indeed a mass storage device and it's unformatted, you might have to right click on 'My Computer' then click 'Manage' then pick the Disk Management sub-item under Storage. Windows is kind of clueless about unformatted drives.

oh thank you. as you mite expect i have little to no knolledge of windowz.