Where'd you guys get your copy of Windows from?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:31 AM

I was wondering, how come so many Mac users got XP so fast? Did you buy it, borrow a spare copy from a friend, have a copy lying around, borrow one from work, etc?
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#2 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:11 AM

View PostSpace_Pirate_Killer, on April 8th 2006, 08:31 AM, said:

I was wondering, how come so many Mac users got XP so fast? Did you buy it, borrow a spare copy from a friend, have a copy lying around, borrow one from work, etc?

Windows XP requires a registration where it monitors the actual status of your hardware so I don't think it allows for borrowing.

-Hunt'n

#3 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:40 AM

Our 17" iMac at work is surrounded by a sea of 2,000+ PC boxen and we have a site license for every version of Windows imaginable. Since it's the company's computer I asked the IT guys and they said sure I can isnatll it using the volume license key.

When I get my new 20" for home (in a week) I will go out and buy a copy for myself.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#4 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:25 AM

for the PC i built last summer, i found an OEM copy of XP Pro for 75 bucks on www.pricegrabber.com  I always find that a good place to look.
"Nothing here but us text"

#5 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:29 AM

i got mine off ebay for about $100. (originally bought to upgrade my moms PC).

#6 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:44 AM

Buy the full OEM version for the cheapest deal.  I got it for $86 from New Egg but a firend at work got it as Best Buy for about the same.  I had no idea Best Buy sold OEM versions.

#7 Scerenon

Scerenon

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:05 PM

as a computer science student, I'm able to get free copies of windows from my cs department.  I think many colleges participate in the same program.

#8 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:59 PM

My friend's family has an unlimited business license, but I'm not sure if it's SP2 or not, but that can be slipstreamed, so hey.

#9 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:52 PM

I'm going to order from Amazon.co.jp soon.

#10 usickenme

usickenme

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:49 AM

I have a buddy who works for MS, he got me a copy for $29

#11 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:21 PM

If you are a developer of any kind, an MSDN subscription gets you pretty much all their OSes and apps plus update CDs for a year. Costs a pretty penny even for students, though. For students and profs, universities and colleges often have free copies available to students taking certain CS/development courses plus academic pricing for the rest. Then, of course, come OEM (cheap) and business (expensive) licenses. Then there's retail, which is for suckers. Or pirating, which is for bastards. Cedega and linux might even work if you're really cheap.

#12 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

View Postbobbob, on April 9th 2006, 05:21 PM, said:

If you are a developer of any kind, an MSDN subscription gets you pretty much all their OSes and apps plus update CDs for a year. Costs a pretty penny even for students, though. For students and profs, universities and colleges often have free copies available to students taking certain CS/development courses plus academic pricing for the rest. Then, of course, come OEM (cheap) and business (expensive) licenses. Then there's retail, which is for suckers. Or pirating, which is for bastards. Cedega and linux might even work if you're really cheap.

Cedega requires a subscription though which you might not want to pay if you are cheap. You could end up paying in a few months what it would have took to buy an OEM copy of windows and you aren't even guaranteed that your games would be compatible.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#13 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:07 PM

You can buy OEM at retail. Best Buy sells it.

#14 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:46 AM

That's the most illogical thing I've ever heard.

Newegg sells the OEM discs as well though. $80 I think.

#15 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:59 AM

Then you haven't heard much.  Nevertheless....Best Buy sells OEM Windows XP.  $86 at New Egg as I said earlier.

#16 Stecchino

Stecchino

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:26 AM

This is being discussed in another thread but this thread is probably most relevant...

You can only buy the $85 OEM version of XP HOME EDITION.  The OEM version of XP PRO is usually $120 or more.  The only difference I can potentially see to us Mac gamers is that XP Pro supports multiple processors (and I assume multiple cores) for those apps and games that are multi-aware.  I'm just wondering if it makes that big of a difference.

#17 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:33 AM

I have seen many times that people have said or thought that you need XP Pro for dual core procs since one of its features is that it supports multiple processors but Home does not.  Its an understandable concern but is not actually an issue.  Home supports dual core chips just as well as Pro.  No reason to get Pro because you have dual core.  Dual core requires only an OS that does symmetric multiprocessing and is thread aware which XP home is.  You can find information on Microsofts site that supports this btw.

"Which Microsoft software with technically enforced processor limits currently supports multicore and hyperthreaded processors?
Operating Systems
Software Do technically enforced processor limits
support multicore and hyperthreaded processors?
Windows XP Home Edition Yes"

Also an easy way to see that dual core is working with Home is to open Task Manager and the performance tab and you will see that it is showing two processors running.

#18 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:36 AM

Contrary to all I've heard and read. Link please?

#19 Stecchino

Stecchino

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:37 AM

View Posttthiel, on April 11th 2006, 09:33 AM, said:

I have seen many times that people have said or thought that you need XP Pro for dual core procs since one of its features is that it supports multiple processors but Home does not.  However Home does support dual core chips just as well as Pro.  No reason to get Pro because you have dual core.  Dual core requires only an OS that does symmetric multiprocessing and is thread aware which XP home is.  You can find information on Microsofts site that supports this btw.

Thanks for the info.  As long as you promise you're telling the truth I'm won't  search Microsoft support  :D

#20 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:44 AM

http://search.micros...-US&q=dual core

Multi-core_Hyperthread Volume Licensing Brief-see page 3

Also you can Google this and find the same information all over the Internet.

Or open Task manager and you will see two procs.

Intel has the same information
http://www.intel.com...b/cs-022096.htm