14 replies to this topic

#1 RAMON

RAMON

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

At this point in time I have a shiny fairly new g5. With the recent announcement of Boot Camp I am geeking out and am ready to plunk down some cash to play some pc games(I am gonna wait for COD2 on mac).

I was just trying to figure out if I would be wasting my money purchasing an intel mac mini. Do you guys think I will get some game playing goodness from it? Which one should I get (core solo, or duo). I have a lot of older games I am planning on getting mainly WarHammer 40k, but I would also get Oblivion, Fear, and Counter-Strike.

I wouldn't expect to run those games with the highest settings(maybe medium?). I just want to know if anyone thinks it would be worth it or not? I know there was a lot of people saying the graphics card on that thing is worthless. Personally I don't know enough about that situation to make a good assumption. Any guidance would be very helpful.

#2 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:08 PM

View PostRAMON, on April 7th 2006, 04:28 PM, said:

At this point in time I have a shiny fairly new g5. With the recent announcement of Boot Camp I am geeking out and am ready to plunk down some cash to play some pc games(I am gonna wait for COD2 on mac).

I was just trying to figure out if I would be wasting my money purchasing an intel mac mini. Do you guys think I will get some game playing goodness from it? Which one should I get (core solo, or duo). I have a lot of older games I am planning on getting mainly WarHammer 40k, but I would also get Oblivion, Fear, and Counter-Strike.

I wouldn't expect to run those games with the highest settings(maybe medium?). I just want to know if anyone thinks it would be worth it or not? I know there was a lot of people saying the graphics card on that thing is worthless. Personally I don't know enough about that situation to make a good assumption. Any guidance would be very helpful.

I don't think it'd be worth it. I haven't heard anything good about games running with the integrated graphics memory that the mini uses.

#3 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:36 PM

The Mac Mini is absolutely terrible at gaming.  You need a dedicated video card, so you need an iMac at the very least.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#4 RAMON

RAMON

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:53 PM

Yeah thats what I kind of figured but I just wanted to check. Thanks guys.

#5 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:24 PM

You'd be better off getting an XBox 360 or waiting for a PS3 anyways. The G5 iMacs are still pretty good, and for games the XBox 360 will probably outlast a new iMac and is cheaper than a mini.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#6 RAMON

RAMON

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:52 AM

Most of the games that I am interested in aren't going to be on the 360. Past fps's it really doesn't have much to offer me (pay to play online please).

Besides the whole limited release of the 360 really burned me. If your going to release a console it's tough getting enough on the shelves for everyone(which probably isn't even possible), but purposely keeping limited numbers on the shelves puleez your catering to me as the consumer not the other way around.

#7 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:59 AM

I'm not a console booster, but...

View PostRAMON, on April 8th 2006, 09:52 AM, said:

...but purposely keeping limited numbers on the shelves puleez your catering to me as the consumer not the other way around.
...say what? There were manufacturing shortfalls. It's pretty well documented, and the supply situation is easing now.

#8 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

View PostBatcat, on April 8th 2006, 07:59 AM, said:

...say what? There were manufacturing shortfalls.

almost every company dose this. its just a way to build up hype.

#9 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

You don't do it during the Xmas buying season. That can represent 40-50% of your annual sales.

#10 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

Anyone with a mini care to runs somes tests for us, just for fun? I wager older games like Half Life and Morrowwind might be playable.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:42 AM

That would be a great platform to test out the Windows version of Marathon 2: Durandal.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on April 11th 2006, 08:42 AM, said:

That would be a great platform to test out the Windows version of Marathon 2: Durandal.

Aleph One is the better option in all respects.

#13 counterfeit

counterfeit

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:03 AM

How about some strategy games like Civ IV or Heroes V?
Would the Mini be up to that task?
I'm not looking for jawdroppning FPSs or MMORPGs with super graphics, just some decent Strategy games and RPG.

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:18 AM

View Postbobbob, on April 11th 2006, 09:47 PM, said:

Aleph One is the better option in all respects.
All but one, he needs to experience the game once the way it was originally.  It has retro cool.  But regardless I'm interested in the outcome, to see whether it is playable on a dual boot setup.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3779 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:11 AM

A Mac Mini would run away screaming, terrified just by seeing your intent on installing F.E.A.R. on it.. That game is sooo demanding!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter